Audi 1.8 cylinder head bolt question

Old August 22nd 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Audi 1.8 cylinder head bolt question

I have a 2001 Audi A4 1.8 turbo engine. I am trying to get the cylinder
head off. Can anyone tell me what size tool I need to fit the head
bolts? I think they are maybe T-50 torx, but not sure. The tool has to
be long to fit down inside the bores. If anyone knows what tool to use,
and where I can get one, I would be most grateful.
Old August 24th 07, 04:01 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

"Tony" > wrote in message

>> What's a polydrive? I clicked the link, but didn't have it. Where can I
>> get one?
>>

> Another site for the tool at a better price:
> http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...OLKSWAGEN&bl=9

I find those zdmark tools on ebay.com often!

Or you could buy from http://www.metalnerd.com
Part number MN18T160 $20

I just bought their XZN (triple square) socket for the early 1.8t cylinder
heads so I could rebuild my 1997 1.8t engine.
Their tool was of excellent quality!
--
later,
dave

Old August 24th 07, 10:52 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

In article > , vwdoc1
@hotmail.com says...

> "Tony" > wrote in message
>
> >> What's a polydrive? I clicked the link, but didn't have it. Where can I
> >> get one?
> >>

> > Another site for the tool at a better price:
> > http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...OLKSWAGEN&bl=9

> I find those zdmark tools on ebay.com often!
>
> Or you could buy from http://www.metalnerd.com
> Part number MN18T160 $20
>
> I just bought their XZN (triple square) socket for the early 1.8t cylinder
> heads so I could rebuild my 1997 1.8t engine.
> Their tool was of excellent quality!

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post. I appreciate
the info.
I have one more question...someone told me you could use an allen wrench
to remove the bolts, but to use the polydrive to install the new ones.
Has anyone done this? Any idea what size to use? Thanks
Old August 24th 07, 11:19 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

In article >,
ess says...
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:52:11 GMT, > wrote:
>
> >In article > , vwdoc1
> says...

http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...OLKSWAGEN&bl=9

> >> I find those zdmark tools on ebay.com often!
> >>
> >> Or you could buy from http://www.metalnerd.com
> >> Part number MN18T160 $20
> >>
> >> I just bought their XZN (triple square) socket for the early 1.8t cylinder
> >> heads so I could rebuild my 1997 1.8t engine.
> >> Their tool was of excellent quality!
> >>

> >I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post. I appreciate
> >the info.
> >I have one more question...someone told me you could use an allen wrench
> >to remove the bolts, but to use the polydrive to install the new ones.
> >Has anyone done this? Any idea what size to use? Thanks

> Whoever told you that sounds the kind of a man that you would use as a
> blueprint to build an idiot.

That's what I was told. I can see maybe using the Allen to remove them,
since new opnes would be used in the install. Are you saying that the
allen won't fit? I researched the polydrive and on the website for the
tool it states that an allen can be interchanged. I certainly wouldn't
use an allen to reinstall new bolts, though.,,
Old August 25th 07, 02:08 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

> wrote in message
.. .

snip

> That's what I was told. I can see maybe using the Allen to remove them,
> since new opnes would be used in the install. Are you saying that the
> allen won't fit? I researched the polydrive and on the website for the
> tool it states that an allen can be interchanged. I certainly wouldn't
> use an allen to reinstall new bolts, though.,,

Hmmm and what if you destroy the edges of the bolt while trying to remove
with the incorrect tool?????
AND I would hate to damage the cylinder head while trying to remove a
damaged bolt. Gee I wonder how long it will take to get the damaged bolt
out and to repair the damaged head. YEAH I am trying to scare you! ;-)
Best to wait and get the right one. You can get the correct tool in a few
days or sooner if you pay extra. ;-)
You will need it anyway!

Buy from http://www.metalnerd.com
Part number MN18T160 $20 and probably $5-6 priority mail.
Ask them if they can rush it to you but priority mail is pretty quick for
me.
Nice family operation that responded quickly to my emails and I had one of
their tools in 2-3 business days.
Tell them that vwdoc1 referred you! lol

later,
dave