TT Gotchas?

Old August 18th 07, 11:10 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Miguel De Anda

Default TT Gotchas?

Steve Daniels wrote:

> I'm planning on buying a used TT within the next few months. I
> want the coupe, 225HP, Quatro.
>
> Is there anything specific I should be watching out for?

Actually my '03 has given me a few minor problems:

1) Rattles!
2) Ignition coils. Apparently there was no recall like on A4s and GTI/Jettas
of similar years. Luckily it was still under warranty.
3) Rattles!
4) A recent problem was that my car would just die while on the freeway (at
80mph) and while braking. All the gauges would just quickly drop to zero,
all lights would shut off, etc. Just as quickly the engine would start up
and continue like nothing happened. It happened a few times over about a 2
week period. No fault codes appeared.
5) Did I mention rattles?

I guess 4 isn't really minor, but it stopped happening.

Old August 18th 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mick x

Dealer told me slow months were July and Aug.

Also worth a thought on your timing within the month you buy - i.e. has the
sales exec hit his required target?

Old August 20th 07, 04:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On Aug 17, 4:52 am, Madesio > wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:52:14 -0700, Steve Daniels >
> wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> >It does, thank you. I hear of a sludge issue with the 1.8T. How
> >does one go about discovering if an engine has it?

> No one usually discovers it until it is too late. Inspecting the
> underside of the oil cap is usally a dead give away.

Yeah, that's really the only way to tell. If there is a sticky residue
on the underside of the cap, or if the inside of the engine that you
can see looks 'gummy' (versus relatively clean) then 'run away'....

But I don't recall that the TT had this issue, it was primarily with
the longitudinal engine mountings like the A4 - the TT is transverse,
correct?

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 (sludge-free)
Central NJ USA

Old August 21st 07, 01:28 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Daniels

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:22:39 -0000, against all advice, something
compelled Dano58 >, to say:

<sludge in my motor makes me grumpy>

> But I don't recall that the TT had this issue, it was primarily with
> the longitudinal engine mountings like the A4 - the TT is transverse,
> correct?

Yeah, if it's not a quattro it's FWD, and in either case it's a
transverse mount. I wonder why this would make a difference?

--
Life is too short to play cheap guitars.
Old August 21st 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On Aug 20, 8:28 pm, Steve Daniels > wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:22:39 -0000, against all advice, something
> compelled Dano58 >, to say:
>
> <sludge in my motor makes me grumpy>
>
> > But I don't recall that the TT had this issue, it was primarily with
> > the longitudinal engine mountings like the A4 - the TT is transverse,
> > correct?

> Yeah, if it's not a quattro it's FWD, and in either case it's a
> transverse mount. I wonder why this would make a difference?
>
> --
> Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

I think the sludging issue was caused by excessive heat build-up in
the turbo, which cooked the oil. Seems to me I recall reading
somewhere that the transverse and longitudinal versions of the 1.8T
had slightly different routing of the exhaust manifold and turbo
plumbing, leading to higher temps around the turbo in the long.
version. At any rate, it was also caused, at least in part, but Audi's
10k oil change intervals and specification of regular (non-synthetic)
oil that broke down more quickly. They change to a 5k initial oil
change interval, switched to a larger oil filter and now recommend
only synthetic oil.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA