winter driving

Old April 21st 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
jerrylc

Default winter driving

I have a 2004 passat it is not good in the snow do you have the same
problem if so what did you do.

Old April 21st 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
D&LBusch

Where do you drive? I like my 04 Passat in the snow - the northern
mountains of NY.
David
lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 21st 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Joseph Meehan

jerrylc wrote:
> I have a 2004 passat it is not good in the snow do you have the same
> problem if so what did you do.

In what way is it not good?

Generally there are two issues. For those locations with very deep snow
and lack of plows the ground clearance is an issue. For those areas that
have less depth and or good plowing and maybe ice, then traction is an
issue.

There is not much that you can do about ground clearance other than to
add a steel belly pan (replacing the plastic one) to protect the car and
maybe modifying the suspension. You might also get political and make sure
the local authorities do a better job of clearing the roads.

For traction, it is not the fault of the car as the Passat is good
there, but if you are not using real winter (not all season) tyres, that is
your problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old April 21st 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Brian Running[_2_]

> I have a 2004 passat it is not good in the snow do you have the same
> problem if so what did you do.

It's all about the tires, Jerry. A Passat will be great in the snow
with the right tires.
Old April 21st 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Maybe it's not the car?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 21st 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Al Rudderham

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:27:16 -0400, "jerrylc" >
wrote:

>I have a 2004 passat it is not good in the snow do you have the same
>problem if so what did you do.

My 2005 Passat TDI is superb in the snow. Then it came with ESP (stability
package) and I put Michelin X-Ice snows on it in the winter.
Old April 22nd 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

"Al Rudderham" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:27:16 -0400, "jerrylc" >
> wrote:
>
>>I have a 2004 passat it is not good in the snow do you have the same
>>problem if so what did you do.

> My 2005 Passat TDI is superb in the snow. Then it came with ESP
> (stability
> package) and I put Michelin X-Ice snows on it in the winter.
> >> People have been driving on crappy all season tires so long . They

> forgot how great real snow tires are. If he puts 4 snow tires all the way
> around It will drive like its on dry pavement. . The only trouble is the
> other putzs driving 5 mph when its heavy snow out there. I just love snow
> tires.

Winter Driving Square Wheels Auto Photos 0 December 15th 06 09:21 PM
Winter Driving cody_e Driving 0 February 2nd 06 04:57 AM
Winter Driving [email protected] Driving 8 January 25th 06 01:49 AM
Recommendation for Winter Driving... Y2KRedMustang Ford Mustang 5 April 29th 05 02:37 AM
Winter driving tips Steve Driving 16 January 13th 05 07:45 PM