Please help with battery problem

Old January 16th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Please help with battery problem

Thanks for any help you can provide. 92LX 5.0 I'm in Chicago area

Tried to start it two days ago and the interior lights were dim and it
wouldn't turn over. Tried charging it but it wouldn't take the charge.
Die Hard Gold with 40 months. Took it to Sears, they tested it and said
it was bad. Picked up a new Diehard Gold for $44. Installed it. Car
started right up. I ran it for half an hour, the gauge said normal but
low-normal. Left it overnight, got up this morning. VERY low interior
lights, car not close to starting.
Any ideas?!!!??

Thanks!!!!

Old January 16th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Bob A

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for any help you can provide. 92LX 5.0 I'm in Chicago area
>
> Tried to start it two days ago and the interior lights were dim and it
> wouldn't turn over. Tried charging it but it wouldn't take the charge.
> Die Hard Gold with 40 months. Took it to Sears, they tested it and said
> it was bad. Picked up a new Diehard Gold for $44. Installed it. Car
> started right up. I ran it for half an hour, the gauge said normal but
> low-normal. Left it overnight, got up this morning. VERY low interior
> lights, car not close to starting.
> Any ideas?!!!??
>
> Thanks!!!!

Your alternator needs replacing too. some of the diodes went out, then it
could not charge your old battery.
better repleace it fast too.

You also may have a small lite that stays on,

Old January 17th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for any help you can provide. 92LX 5.0 I'm in Chicago area
>
> Tried to start it two days ago and the interior lights were dim and it
> wouldn't turn over. Tried charging it but it wouldn't take the charge.
> Die Hard Gold with 40 months. Took it to Sears, they tested it and said
> it was bad. Picked up a new Diehard Gold for $44. Installed it. Car
> started right up. I ran it for half an hour, the gauge said normal but
> low-normal. Left it overnight, got up this morning. VERY low interior
> lights, car not close to starting.
> Any ideas?!!!??
>
> Thanks!!!!

The last time my car had these symptoms, it was because the battery
terminals and cables had corroded so much that only a trickle of juice was
getting through. Either way. They looked clean enough, but there wasn't
enough contact being made. I bought a new battery, too.

I was too embarrassed to talk about it at the time. But time has passed.

dwight
www.tfrog93.com

Old January 18th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:57:25 -0500, "dwight" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Thanks for any help you can provide. 92LX 5.0 I'm in Chicago area
>>
>> Tried to start it two days ago and the interior lights were dim and it
>> wouldn't turn over. Tried charging it but it wouldn't take the charge.
>> Die Hard Gold with 40 months. Took it to Sears, they tested it and said
>> it was bad. Picked up a new Diehard Gold for $44. Installed it. Car
>> started right up. I ran it for half an hour, the gauge said normal but
>> low-normal. Left it overnight, got up this morning. VERY low interior
>> lights, car not close to starting.
>> Any ideas?!!!??
>>
>> Thanks!!!!

>The last time my car had these symptoms, it was because the battery
>terminals and cables had corroded so much that only a trickle of juice was
>getting through. Either way. They looked clean enough, but there wasn't
>enough contact being made. I bought a new battery, too.
>
>I was too embarrassed to talk about it at the time. But time has passed.
>
>dwight
>www.tfrog93.com

You are not the only one who has made this one :0) I won't mention any
names but his initials are ME! LOL
Old January 18th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On 16 Jan 2007 13:20:54 -0800, wrote:

>Thanks for any help you can provide. 92LX 5.0 I'm in Chicago area
>
>Tried to start it two days ago and the interior lights were dim and it
>wouldn't turn over. Tried charging it but it wouldn't take the charge.
>Die Hard Gold with 40 months. Took it to Sears, they tested it and said
>it was bad. Picked up a new Diehard Gold for $44. Installed it. Car
>started right up. I ran it for half an hour, the gauge said normal but
>low-normal. Left it overnight, got up this morning. VERY low interior
>lights, car not close to starting.
>Any ideas?!!!??
>
>Thanks!!!!

And the colder the temps, the faster you are apt to see this problem.
I went through a bunch of batteries while living in Maine. Didn't help
that all I had was a car port. I solved the problem by taking the
battery inside every night. In North Dakota, I drove to a store and
parked my 72 Mustang. Walked in the door and glanced back to see the
taillights on. Went back to the car, turned off the lights and the car
wouldn't start. A local whipped out his jumpers and we got the car
started. Ran it for a while and took a chance. Did the shopping and
loaded up the car and it started right up. Never had another problem
with it.
Old January 19th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for any help you can provide. 92LX 5.0 I'm in Chicago area
>
> Tried to start it two days ago and the interior lights were dim and it
> wouldn't turn over. Tried charging it but it wouldn't take the charge.
> Die Hard Gold with 40 months. Took it to Sears, they tested it and said
> it was bad. Picked up a new Diehard Gold for $44. Installed it. Car
> started right up. I ran it for half an hour, the gauge said normal but
> low-normal. Left it overnight, got up this morning. VERY low interior
> lights, car not close to starting.
> Any ideas?!!!??
>
> Thanks!!!!

Had this too... one car was a drain and the other was a bad alternator.
Brand new battery lasted two days. Whatever it is, it isn't the battery.

Brad

Old January 19th 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

Three things can do what your describing. Bad starter, Bad horn, shorted
wire to the frame. Get your volt/amp meter out and start looking for the
current draw on the starter, look for current draw when the car is off,
disconnect the horn temporarily, do it one at a time to narrow down what it
might be.

I spent many hours under a 77 chevy truck to find a bare wire hitting the
frame and killing the battery.

. ..

Old January 19th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Duane Totty

It's time for the handy dandy test light disconnect your Positive + lead and
hook your ground wire of your handy dandy test light to your Ground - poll
of the battery and the other end to the positive + lead that you
disconnected and if the light comes on the you have something that is
draining the battery start pulling fuses. I did this after 4 Batteries and
2 Altenators.. Found the BRAND NEW Pioneer Multi Disc Changer was draining
the battery so that little ( Yellow ) wire that keeps your memory for your
CD player was CUT end of problem.. I hope this helps

89 5.0 Mustang LX

oups.com...

Problem With Power Outlet Neil Dodge 5 March 27th 06 07:38 PM
'63 Impala charging problem Ron Lyons Technology 3 January 23rd 06 08:34 PM
2000 Honda Accord EX - Cold start problems (parasitic battery draw) [email protected] Honda 3 December 11th 05 02:33 AM
Is it a sign that it is a battery problem if it is difficult to start a car in a hot or humid day? Honda2nd Honda 6 November 17th 05 08:22 PM
Battery problem on 2002 Ford Explorer shep21 Ford Explorer 2 August 21st 05 08:13 PM