car prices are **** !!

Old July 3rd 06, 07:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default car prices are **** !!

I have a 1997 728i full service history. 138K on the clock. car is in
superb condition inside and out and has all the extras. but what is it
worth ? nothing by the looks of it as I am being offered silly money
like £1500 - £2000 max !! Christ, I paid over £14,000 for this only a
few years ago ( 3 to be precise ) and now it's only worth this sort
of money. Sod the BMW range it sure will be the last BMW I will ever
buy.
Old July 3rd 06, 07:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
> wrote:
> I have a 1997 728i full service history. 138K on the clock. car is in
> superb condition inside and out and has all the extras. but what is it
> worth ? nothing by the looks of it as I am being offered silly money
> like £1500 - £2000 max !! Christ, I paid over £14,000 for this only a
> few years ago ( 3 to be precise ) and now it's only worth this sort
> of money. Sod the BMW range it sure will be the last BMW I will ever
> buy.

The 7 Series always depreciates much faster than the smaller models and
this isn't unique to BMW. And percentage depreciation isn't linear - it
tends to be high to start with, levels out, then gets high again as the
car reaches banger level - which lets face it, a 10 year old one is.
Reason being servicing, repair and replacements are equally as high as on
a new car of that price so those who might afford a few grand for purchase
can't afford to run one. Those that can afford the running costs can also
afford a newer model.

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 3rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
SteveG[_1_]

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article >,
> > wrote:
>> I have a 1997 728i full service history. 138K on the clock. car is in
>> superb condition inside and out and has all the extras. but what is it
>> worth ? nothing by the looks of it as I am being offered silly money
>> like £1500 - £2000 max !! Christ, I paid over £14,000 for this only a
>> few years ago ( 3 to be precise ) and now it's only worth this sort
>> of money. Sod the BMW range it sure will be the last BMW I will ever
>> buy.

> The 7 Series always depreciates much faster than the smaller models and
> this isn't unique to BMW. And percentage depreciation isn't linear - it
> tends to be high to start with, levels out, then gets high again as the
> car reaches banger level - which lets face it, a 10 year old one is.
> Reason being servicing, repair and replacements are equally as high as on
> a new car of that price so those who might afford a few grand for purchase
> can't afford to run one. Those that can afford the running costs can also
> afford a newer model.

OY! Don't you go calling my 15 year old 730 a banger! It's a thing of
beauty and grace ... even if it's booked in for a complete suspension
re-bushing tomorrow which will cost far more than the car is worth :-))

--
Regards

Steve G
Old July 4th 06, 12:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 20:25:01 GMT, SteveG > wrote:

>OY! Don't you go calling my 15 year old 730 a banger! It's a thing of
>beauty and grace ... even if it's booked in for a complete suspension
>re-bushing tomorrow which will cost far more than the car is worth :-))

Yer pays yer money and yer makes yer choices. Personally, I wouldn't
spend me money on a 15 year old 7. Nor even a 5 year old 7, come to
that. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Spending money on a shagged old e30, even as I write this...
--
Dan.
Old July 4th 06, 12:20 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

> wrote in message
>I have a 1997 728i full service history. 138K on the clock. car is in
> superb condition inside and out and has all the extras. but what is it
> worth ? nothing by the looks of it as I am being offered silly money
> like £1500 - £2000 max !! Christ, I paid over £14,000 for this only a
> few years ago ( 3 to be precise ) and now it's only worth this sort
> of money. Sod the BMW range it sure will be the last BMW I will ever
> buy.

Nearly ten, high miles, petrol price through the roof, Vanos?

Old July 6th 06, 06:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Richard Sexton

In article >,
> wrote:
>I have a 1997 728i full service history. 138K on the clock. car is in
>superb condition inside and out and has all the extras. but what is it
>worth ? nothing by the looks of it as I am being offered silly money
>like £1500 - £2000 max !! Christ, I paid over £14,000 for this only a
>few years ago ( 3 to be precise ) and now it's only worth this sort
>of money. Sod the BMW range it sure will be the last BMW I will ever
>buy.

**** happens. I met a guy in Atlanta at a meet there that had one of
the sexiest early 3 litre coupes I'd ever seen, webbers and the whole deal.
He'd bought if when it was very very young and figured it's be worth lots
one day. All his friends bought convertible muscle cars and kept them.

His car isn't worth a whole lot more than he paid fot is and his friends
US stuff is very very pricey now.

You plays the game and you takes your chances.

Look on the bright side. I know where you can get a 7 series real cheap.

Uh, sorry.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old July 6th 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
SteveG[_1_]

Richard Sexton wrote:
> In article >,
> SteveG > wrote:
>> OY! Don't you go calling my 15 year old 730 a banger! It's a thing of
>> beauty and grace ... even if it's booked in for a complete suspension
>> re-bushing tomorrow which will cost far more than the car is worth :-))

> I've done that. It is SO worth it. Good for you.

I'm hoping the end result will be impressive enough to persuade me to
keep the car. Should have it back tomorrow and I'll either ave my grin
back or a for sale note in the window. Just kidding :-)

--
Regards

Steve G