Driver side window found to no longer work - '98 C5

Old December 17th 04, 10:59 PM
John Smith

Default Driver side window found to no longer work - '98 C5

I have a '98 Corvette. I drove it yesterday and the driver side window
worked fine. I went for a drive today and it wouldn't work at all. I can
hear the very faint "click" of what I assume is a relay in the door, but
nothing at all happens. I would assume that the motor has gone bad. Is
that a good assumption (considering that the window will not even try to
move)? Or, is there another electrical (hopefully less expensive) part that
I should consider first?

Thanks,
Mike

Old December 18th 04, 03:40 AM
Dad

"John Smith" > wrote in message
>I have a '98 Corvette. I drove it yesterday and the driver side window
>worked fine. I went for a drive today and it wouldn't work at all. I can
>hear the very faint "click" of what I assume is a relay in the door, but
>nothing at all happens. I would assume that the motor has gone bad. Is
>that a good assumption (considering that the window will not even try to
>move)? Or, is there another electrical (hopefully less expensive) part
>that I should consider first?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I doubt you heard a relay click in the door, they normally are not in there.
With the door open and the key on try to activate the window and move it at
the same time by hand. If it moves cycle it up and down a few times and then
try it with the door closed. Post your results and I will look up the relays
and their locations tomorrow if that is needed.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old December 18th 04, 03:40 AM
Dad

Old December 18th 04, 02:49 PM
John Smith

I tried to help the window up and down with my hand. The window will not
budge - even with more force than I was really comfortable with. Luckily,
the window was up when this happened. But, that adds to the mystery. The
window wasn't in use when it quit. It just wouldn't move when I tried it.

Thanks Dad - I appreciate the help.

What now?

Old December 18th 04, 02:49 PM
John Smith

Old December 18th 04, 04:42 PM
Dad

Open the DIC or use a code reader to retrieve any codes that might be
stored. I'm looking for a code like B2202, B2204, or B2274, or any "B"
codes.

This may work on your '98--
Turn key to ON position
Press and Hold Options Button
Within 10 Seconds press the Fuel Button 4 times
The DIC will step through any codes and then go into manual mode. The
DIC buttons can then be used to page through the codes.
Press E/M button to exit.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old December 18th 04, 04:42 PM
Dad

Old December 18th 04, 05:07 PM
John Smith

Dad,
I was able to get into the diagnostic mode on the DIC. All areas reported
"NO CODES".

"Dad" > wrote in message
> Open the DIC or use a code reader to retrieve any codes that might be
> stored. I'm looking for a code like B2202, B2204, or B2274, or any "B"
> codes.
>
> This may work on your '98--
> Turn key to ON position
> Press and Hold Options Button
> Within 10 Seconds press the Fuel Button 4 times
> The DIC will step through any codes and then go into manual mode. The
> DIC buttons can then be used to page through the codes.
> Press E/M button to exit.
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
>

> "John Smith" > wrote in message
>>I tried to help the window up and down with my hand. The window will not
>>budge - even with more force than I was really comfortable with. Luckily,
>>the window was up when this happened. But, that adds to the mystery. The
>>window wasn't in use when it quit. It just wouldn't move when I tried it.
>>
>> Thanks Dad - I appreciate the help.
>>
>> What now?

>>> I doubt you heard a relay click in the door, they normally are not in
>>> there. With the door open and the key on try to activate the window and
>>> move it at the same time by hand. If it moves cycle it up and down a few
>>> times and then try it with the door closed. Post your results and I will
>>> look up the relays and their locations tomorrow if that is needed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dad
>>> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old December 18th 04, 05:07 PM
John Smith

"Dad" > wrote in message
> Open the DIC or use a code reader to retrieve any codes that might be
> stored. I'm looking for a code like B2202, B2204, or B2274, or any "B"
> codes.
>
> This may work on your '98--
> Turn key to ON position
> Press and Hold Options Button
> Within 10 Seconds press the Fuel Button 4 times
> The DIC will step through any codes and then go into manual mode. The
> DIC buttons can then be used to page through the codes.
> Press E/M button to exit.
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
>

> "John Smith" > wrote in message
>>I tried to help the window up and down with my hand. The window will not
>>budge - even with more force than I was really comfortable with. Luckily,
>>the window was up when this happened. But, that adds to the mystery. The
>>window wasn't in use when it quit. It just wouldn't move when I tried it.
>>
>> Thanks Dad - I appreciate the help.
>>
>> What now?

>>> I doubt you heard a relay click in the door, they normally are not in
>>> there. With the door open and the key on try to activate the window and
>>> move it at the same time by hand. If it moves cycle it up and down a few
>>> times and then try it with the door closed. Post your results and I will
>>> look up the relays and their locations tomorrow if that is needed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dad
>>> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old December 18th 04, 05:33 PM
Dad

Lift the switch panel on the door and see if you have power to the switch.
Clips on each end, just pry it up carefully as you depress the clip.

I assume you have checked the fuse panel?

146 Driver Side Window dean Alfa Romeo 1 December 4th 04 01:35 PM
Broken driver window system A6 2000 (repost) Josh Audi 2 September 28th 04 11:10 PM
Driver window A2 -2000 Josh Audi 0 September 6th 04 05:43 PM
Passenger side front window bill Audi 4 August 25th 04 07:27 AM