Windscreen washer jets clogged

Old December 8th 09, 11:34 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

Default Windscreen washer jets clogged

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:
>> "GT" > wrote in message
>>> Windscreen washers. 4 holes at passenger side, 3 are blocked. 4 holes at
>>> drivers side, 2 holes are blocked and 1 is dribbling. How do I get to
>>> clean them without removing too much 'car'? I have tried a pin etc, but
>>> they need to be removed and/or jetted somehow.

>> According to google, I can pop them out with a small screwdriver? Am I
>> likely to break any plastic connectors doing this?

> Not unless you're *really* ham fisted, no. The hose attached is reasonably
> flexible IME.

Not a sign of ham fistery, or jewely cleaning machine. Removed, poked clean,
blew water through backwards, re-installed on car and I now have 7 out of 8
strong jets. Passenger side still clogged on 1 of the 4 holes, but not worth
removing again. 10 minute job, very cold hands, but happy again!

Found the ideal cleaner for them... the little food bag ties, or childrens
toy ties: strip off a centimetre of plastic from one end and you have a few
inches of twisty plastic bit to hold at one end and a thin pointy metal bit
to poke with at the other!

Old December 8th 09, 11:35 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"GT" > wrote in message
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:
>>>
>>> According to google, I can pop them out with a small screwdriver? Am I
>>> likely to break any plastic connectors doing this?

>> Not unless you're *really* ham fisted, no. The hose attached is
>> reasonably flexible IME.

> Not a sign of ham fistery, or jewely cleaning machine.

*jewellery*

Old December 8th 09, 11:56 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:
>>> According to google, I can pop them out with a small screwdriver? Am I
>>> likely to break any plastic connectors doing this?

>> Not unless you're *really* ham fisted, no. The hose attached is reasonably
>> flexible IME.

> Not a sign of ham fistery, or jewely cleaning machine. Removed, poked clean,
> blew water through backwards, re-installed on car and I now have 7 out of 8
> strong jets. Passenger side still clogged on 1 of the 4 holes, but not worth
> removing again. 10 minute job, very cold hands, but happy again!

Excellent.

> Found the ideal cleaner for them... the little food bag ties, or childrens
> toy ties: strip off a centimetre of plastic from one end and you have a few
> inches of twisty plastic bit to hold at one end and a thin pointy metal bit
> to poke with at the other!

Good call. <fx: makes note for future ref>

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old December 8th 09, 11:59 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Dave Savage wrote:
> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Dave Savage > wrote:
>>
>>> Dave S.... (not that I dis-approve of purchasing an "ultrasonic cleaner"
>>> from Maplins, but what's wrong with Fairy Liquid ??)

>> You put that in the ultrasonic cleaner....
>>

> What - the Fairy Liquid ? Why - is it contaminated ?
>
> I sense I'm losing the drift of this one.

You fill the US cleaner with a solution of your choice. Fairy is quite
acceptable when added to water.

Old December 8th 09, 01:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Emerson

"Dave Savage" > wrote in message

> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Dave Savage > wrote:
>>
>>> Dave S.... (not that I dis-approve of purchasing an "ultrasonic cleaner"
>>> from Maplins, but what's wrong with Fairy Liquid ??)

>> You put that in the ultrasonic cleaner....
>>

> What - the Fairy Liquid ? Why - is it contaminated ?
>
> I sense I'm losing the dreft of this one.

^^^^^^^^

Post corrected.

--
Dave
ex Motorcycle Maintenance Workshop

Old December 8th 09, 04:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"GT" > wrote in message
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:
>>>
>>> According to google, I can pop them out with a small screwdriver? Am I
>>> likely to break any plastic connectors doing this?

>> Not unless you're *really* ham fisted, no. The hose attached is
>> reasonably flexible IME.

> Not a sign of ham fistery, or jewely cleaning machine. Removed, poked
> clean, blew water through backwards, re-installed on car and I now have 7
> out of 8 strong jets. Passenger side still clogged on 1 of the 4 holes,
> but not worth removing again. 10 minute job, very cold hands, but happy
> again!
>
> Found the ideal cleaner for them... the little food bag ties, or childrens
> toy ties: strip off a centimetre of plastic from one end and you have a
> few inches of twisty plastic bit to hold at one end and a thin pointy
> metal bit to poke with at the other!

Also useful for fending off miniature fencers.

Old December 8th 09, 05:18 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Dave Emerson wrote:
> "Dave Savage" > wrote in message
>> "SteveH" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> You put that in the ultrasonic cleaner....
>>>

>> What - the Fairy Liquid ? Why - is it contaminated ?
>>
>> I sense I'm losing the dreft of this one.

> ^^^^^^^^
>
> Post corrected.

*ouch* although it would have been better with a different font

Old December 8th 09, 06:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Halmyre[_2_]

In article >, catman@rustcuore-
sportivo.co.uk says...
> Dave Emerson wrote:
> > "Dave Savage" > wrote in message
> >> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> >> .. .

> >> What - the Fairy Liquid ? Why - is it contaminated ?
> >>
> >> I sense I'm losing the dreft of this one.

> > ^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Post corrected.
> >

> *ouch* although it would have been better with a different font

A Bold font?

--
Halmyre

This is the most powerful sigfile in the world and will probably blow your
head clean off.
Old December 12th 09, 06:16 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Rod Duggan

"GT" > wrote in message
> Windscreen washers. 4 holes at passenger side, 3 are blocked. 4 holes at
> drivers side, 2 holes are blocked and 1 is dribbling. How do I get to
> clean them without removing too much 'car'? I have tried a pin etc, but
> they need to be removed and/or jetted somehow.

Dribbling jets on my spider didn't improve much when cleaned with thin
copper wire.
What did make all the difference however was pulling the pump out of the
reservoir. The filter had got completely bunged up with greenish blue "snot"
over the years so the motor couldn't get anything to pump. A good clean and
flush of the filter and reservoir now gives washer jets (the pipe up the
wiper blade type) that drown the windscreen rather than dribble and spit
like before.
If you pull the plastic pipe off the jets and see what the water delivery is
like when you operate the washers then you'll get an idea of where the
blockage is.
Rod

Clogged Windshield Washer Nozzle DavidB Honda 1 July 17th 06 04:31 AM
2002 Voyager washer jets - PLEASE HELP! fourflightsup Chrysler 1 April 13th 06 01:06 AM
156 Windscreen washer problems Mitch Alfa Romeo 5 February 8th 06 10:58 PM
A100 washer jets Guy King Audi 0 January 1st 06 07:31 AM
X5 heated washer jets?? Rush BMW 4 December 21st 04 08:30 AM