Opinions needed! - Blower needs overhaul

Old April 3rd 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
chuck

Default Opinions needed! - Blower needs overhaul

Opinions needed!

Some plastic got in the supercharger oil and now the seals are waring out,
will cost $700 to rebuild it.
..

OR could get a new supercharger with a bypass for $3,000 to match new engine
?.

Or I could sell the DOA mustang with SC to be fixed to a gearhead for $1,000
to $5,000 ?

The SC is a KB 8# , without a bypass, ran for 60,000 with no problems at
all, now it leaks a little oil as some of the plastic grit got into the
front rotor seals. Car is a 1992 5.0 w 145k miles and new rebuilt
engine put in at 140k miles, car in great shape.

Old April 3rd 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-04-03, chuck > wrote:
> Opinions needed!
>
> Some plastic got in the supercharger oil and now the seals are waring out,
> will cost $700 to rebuild it.

Why would it be so complex and expensive to take it apart and replace
the seals or is there a lot more work / parts replacement that needs
doing?

> OR could get a new supercharger with a bypass for $3,000 to match new engine
> ?.
>
> Or I could sell the DOA mustang with SC to be fixed to a gearhead for $1,000
> to $5,000 ?
>
> The SC is a KB 8# , without a bypass, ran for 60,000 with no problems at
> all, now it leaks a little oil as some of the plastic grit got into the
> front rotor seals. Car is a 1992 5.0 w 145k miles and new rebuilt
> engine put in at 140k miles, car in great shape.

Another option... Remove the supercharger? Or is the engine's
compression ratio been modified that it essentially has to have one now?

Old April 4th 09, 11:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
taz

Gawd Chuck, I'll give you 1grand for it right now!Seriously, though if you
are not tired of driving it research a reputable shop and rebuild it.If the
original lasted 60k a proper rebuild should last a similar amount.Agreed
about the removal of the charger also, but prob wont be as fun to drive!

Old April 6th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
chuck

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2009-04-03, chuck > wrote:
>> Opinions needed!
>>
>> Some plastic got in the supercharger oil and now the seals are waring
>> out,
>> will cost $700 to rebuild it.

> Why would it be so complex and expensive to take it apart and replace
> the seals or is there a lot more work / parts replacement that needs
> doing?

I guess they dont rework them that much, that was the quote.

>> OR could get a new supercharger with a bypass for $3,000 to match new
>> engine
>> ?.
>>
>> Or I could sell the DOA mustang with SC to be fixed to a gearhead for
>> $1,000
>> to $5,000 ?
>>
>> The SC is a KB 8# , without a bypass, ran for 60,000 with no problems at
>> all, now it leaks a little oil as some of the plastic grit got into the
>> front rotor seals. Car is a 1992 5.0 w 145k miles and new rebuilt
>> engine put in at 140k miles, car in great shape.

> Another option... Remove the supercharger? Or is the engine's
> compression ratio been modified that it essentially has to have one now?

could do that, rest is still all stock

Old April 21st 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Call KB and talk to them about it. i have found them to be very
reasonable in my past dealings with them. Just talk up how much you
like their blowers and it gets you on their good side and more willing
to cut you a break.

Old April 26th 09, 06:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
habitoid

will give it a shot, want to get the air bypass, they used to offer a deal
$1600 trade old, get new with air bypass about 6 years ago or more.