miles/gallon guage?

Old January 22nd 05, 11:43 PM
William R. Watt

Default miles/gallon guage?

Wondering if some electronic genius has figured how to combine a fuel
consumption sensor with the speedometer cable to produce a instantaneous
miles per gallon display for the dashboard and make it available to the
motoring public.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old January 22nd 05, 11:58 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, William R. Watt wrote:

> Wondering if some electronic genius has figured how to combine a fuel
> consumption sensor with the speedometer cable to produce a instantaneous
> miles per gallon display for the dashboard and make it available to the
> motoring public.

Such aftermarket MPG gauges were widely available in the '70s and '80s.
They used a fuel flow transducer and a tie-in with the speedometer cable.
Nowtimes, there's no speedometer cable and it's much more difficult to put
in a fuel flow transducer due to constant-circulation fuel supply systems.

DS
Old January 23rd 05, 12:29 AM
KENG

http://www.oztechnics.com.au/index.htm

Old January 23rd 05, 04:46 AM
Richard

Hmmm, I have a friend who has a newer Lincoln, don't remember the model,
that does just that, built into the dash.
I don't know how it is done, per se, but it does show mpg.

Richard

----

Old January 23rd 05, 05:51 AM
JazzMan

William R. Watt wrote:

> Wondering if some electronic genius has figured how to combine a fuel
> consumption sensor with the speedometer cable to produce a instantaneous
> miles per gallon display for the dashboard and make it available to the
> motoring public.

There was a company back in the '80s that made just that
sort of thing. The company was Zemco, and the device was
called the ZT Driving Computer. It was nice, it measured
actual fuel flow and distance traveled independant of
any on board computer controls for the engine. Sadly, mine
died many years ago as well as did Zemco. I miss it still:

http://www.fierocentral.com/images/misc/zemco.jpg

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old January 23rd 05, 06:41 AM
MudPuppy76

JazzMan wrote:

> William R. Watt wrote:
>
>>Wondering if some electronic genius has figured how to combine a fuel
>>consumption sensor with the speedometer cable to produce a instantaneous
>>miles per gallon display for the dashboard and make it available to the
>>motoring public.
>>

> There was a company back in the '80s that made just that
> sort of thing. The company was Zemco, and the device was
> called the ZT Driving Computer. It was nice, it measured
> actual fuel flow and distance traveled independant of
> any on board computer controls for the engine. Sadly, mine
> died many years ago as well as did Zemco. I miss it still:
>
> http://www.fierocentral.com/images/misc/zemco.jpg
>
> JazzMan

this got me thinking. i remember my old boss had
one in his rx7. i'd never seen one before or since
for that matter. i did some searching online and
found an article about a trip computer called
"TripTek"
http://www.beavermotorcoaches.com/jo.../atriptek.html
but sadly this appears to be RV only :/

i'd search more but my brain is turning slushy, i
need to play in the snow.

--
Ben Jerew AKA PolarPuppy
ASE Certified Master Technician
Old January 23rd 05, 10:14 AM
John G

"William R. Watt" > wrote in message

> Wondering if some electronic genius has figured how to combine a fuel
> consumption sensor with the speedometer cable to produce a
> instantaneous
> miles per gallon display for the dashboard and make it available to
> the
> motoring public.

Some models of GM products (and probably others Ford etc) in the
civilised antipodes have dislayed Litres/ 100 kilometres instantaneous
and average for more than 10 years and a further calculation of
Kilometres to empty based on the current consumption.
These figures are updated quite often.
Perhaps it is too difficult to translate these figures to the ancient
measurement systems used in the more backward parts of the world.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Old January 23rd 05, 03:38 PM
William R. Watt

thanks for the information. sounds like a good idea.

The governement of Canada signed the Kyoto protocol committing us to
lowering CO2 emissions. I am not so sure that was very smart but I was
thinking a miles per gallon (liters per 100 kilometers is the official
measure here) guage would help drivers burn less fuel. I think drivers
would be more motivated by saving fuel costs than by the Kyoto agreement
but the results would be the same. Canadian government reps are down in
California right now studying what they do there for auto emission
control. (In reality they are down there to get some free sun on the backs
of the weary Canadian taxpayer since they could get all the info they need
by electronic communication.)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old January 23rd 05, 03:44 PM
Leon Corley

for OBD2 systems --
http://www.scangauge.com/

I have one on my 2000 silverado.
I'm basically happy with it.
I beleieve the MPG calculations are a little optimistic.

regards,
Leon