351C w/ Aussie Heads

Old January 23rd 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

Default 351C w/ Aussie Heads

Hi Group,

I have a '72 mach 1 that was originally an H code. Someone had put a 302 2V
in it at some point, (which I removed).

I built a 351C from an unbored block, had the shop bore it 0.030" over,
install forged pistons and balance it.
I picked up a set of Aussie Cleveland 2V heads (closed chamber) on ebay, had
the shop put in stainless valves, bronze guides and hardened seats. I
slapped those on with an Edelbrock 4V-2V "Performer" aluminum intake (4V
carb to 2V heads).

I'm getting ready to drop this in as soon as I finish painting the inner
fenders/firewall.
It's going in with a freshly rebuilt FMX.
What octane would be the best to use for this setup?

Thanks,
Dave

Old January 24th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Jan 23, 2:28 pm, "nospam" > wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I have a '72 mach 1 that was originally an H code. Someone had put a 302 2V
> in it at some point, (which I removed).
>
> I built a 351C from an unbored block, had the shop bore it 0.030" over,
> install forged pistons and balance it.
> I picked up a set of Aussie Cleveland 2V heads (closed chamber) on ebay, had
> the shop put in stainless valves, bronze guides and hardened seats. I
> slapped those on with an Edelbrock 4V-2V "Performer" aluminum intake (4V
> carb to 2V heads).
>
> I'm getting ready to drop this in as soon as I finish painting the inner
> fenders/firewall.
> It's going in with a freshly rebuilt FMX.
> What octane would be the best to use for this setup?

Short answer: whatever octane eliminates ping. Long answer: static
compression ratio, cam timing, and ignition timing are the biggest
factors in determining the octane level at which ping sets in. Head
material is another, with iron being more ping-prone than aluminum.
Other factors are vehicle weight and gear ratios, the cooling system,
and the presence of hot spots in the combustion chamber. Because there
are so many factors, the best answer is the short one. Test drive and
use the octane that eliminates ping.

180 Out

Old January 24th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

"nospam" > wrote in
m:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/23...-cleveland-cr-