police with quota ticket mayor, police officer face charges.

Old October 30th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default police with quota ticket mayor, police officer face charges.

via fark.com...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0399/1005/NEWS

The Oakland County Prosecutor's Office is expected to decide this week
whether to file charges against several Rochester police officers, who
allegedly misused a police database.

<...>

In August, the Rochester Police Department asked the Sheriff's Office to
investigate officers who officials say might have used the database
illegally during traffic stops of Rochester Mayor David Katulic.

In June, during one of those stops, Katulic was arrested on a warrant
that stemmed from an unpaid traffic ticket out of Shelby Township.

<...>

He said Katulic was stopped five times and each stop was because of a
broken headlight. And because the city has a ticket quota -- an issue
that has caused much static between the officers and police and city
administration in recent months -- Harper said equipment violations make
for easy stops.

"When you go through your shift, you look for anything and everything,"
Harper said, adding that officers have to average three traffic stops and
1.5 tickets during an 8-hour shift. "He was a highly visible target."

<...>

But Ed Jacques, director of member services for the Police Officers
Association of Michigan, said he disagrees. He said all of the actions
the city and police administration took have been deliberate.

"There is no question that the investigation is 100% retaliatory,"
Jacques said.

He said the officers had the right to acquire background information
during the traffic stops.

"The mayor had warrants out for his arrest. The officer arrested him. Why
is he any different than some other criminal that's got a warrant out for
his arrest?" Jacques said.

------------------

Clearly there are supposed to be two classes, the elites the cops serve
and the rest of us. Cops who treat those who see themselves as elites and
have some power as the rest of us will face displinary actions and
criminal charges.

Old October 30th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

Brent P wrote:
> via fark.com...
>
> http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0399/1005/NEWS
>
> The Oakland County Prosecutor's Office is expected to decide this week
> whether to file charges against several Rochester police officers, who
> allegedly misused a police database.
>
> <...>
>
> In August, the Rochester Police Department asked the Sheriff's Office to
> investigate officers who officials say might have used the database
> illegally during traffic stops of Rochester Mayor David Katulic.
>
> In June, during one of those stops, Katulic was arrested on a warrant
> that stemmed from an unpaid traffic ticket out of Shelby Township.
>
> <...>
>
> He said Katulic was stopped five times and each stop was because of a
> broken headlight. And because the city has a ticket quota -- an issue
> that has caused much static between the officers and police and city
> administration in recent months -- Harper said equipment violations make
> for easy stops.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over? The guy apparently let a fix-it ticket go
so long that it turned into a warrant, what the hell did he expect? I
think the mayor should have a nice tall glass of STFU and learn from
his mistakes and stop hassling the police for doing their goddamn jobs
for once, and props to the cops for nailing him.

nate

Old October 30th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

> Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over? The guy apparently let a fix-it ticket go
> so long that it turned into a warrant, what the hell did he expect?

That's not the way I read it. The arrest warrant was due to an unpaid
parking ticket out of "shelby township". Not being familiar with the area,
I don't know whether that is local or not. Probably not, as it had to be
SPECIFIED. But even if the unpaid traffic ticket arrest warrant was local,
the article doesn't state the original charge. For all we know, the
original charge could have been speeding 95/35.

> think the mayor should have a nice tall glass of STFU and learn from
> his mistakes and stop hassling the police for doing their goddamn jobs
> for once, and props to the cops for nailing him.

On that much, I agree. The cops involved are under the impression that the
charges (being considered against the cops who ticketed and/or arrested the
mayor) are 100% retaliatory in nature. It wouldn't surprise me if the cops
are right, for a change. -Dave

Old October 30th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

"Mike T." > wrote in message
reenews.net...
>> Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over? The guy apparently let a fix-it ticket go
>> so long that it turned into a warrant, what the hell did he expect?

> That's not the way I read it. The arrest warrant was due to an unpaid
> parking ticket out of "shelby township".

oooooops, I meant to write, unpaid TRAFFIC ticket