[M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

Old March 25th 19, 04:21 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.autos.driving
RS Wood

Default [M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

From the «also, Millenials don't steal them» department:
Title: Forget Self-Driving Cars. Bring Back the Stick Shift.
Author: VATSAL G. THAKKAR
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 17:51:47 -0400
Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/o...er=rss&emc=rss
Podcast Download URL: https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019...r-Sub-moth.jpg

Technology meant to save us from distraction is making us less attentive.
Old March 25th 19, 06:51 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.autos.driving
JAB[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 23:21:39 -0400, RS Wood >
wrote:

>Technology meant to save us from distraction is making us less attentive.

Not only that, but less coordinated...

Years ago, keys were left in a stick shift vehicle, and someone tried
to steal it, but couldn't get it started.
Old March 26th 19, 01:14 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.autos.driving
RS Wood

JAB > writes:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 23:21:39 -0400, RS Wood >
> wrote:
> >>Technology meant to save us from distraction is making us less attentive.

> > Not only that, but less coordinated... Years ago, keys were left in
> > a stick shift vehicle, and someone tried to steal it, but couldn't
> > get it started.

There's a good security video of some juvenile dirtbag hopping into a
lambourghini/equivalent to steal it, realizing it's a stick shift, and
giving up.

(You know you're dealing with dip****s when you discover they think
sports cars are going to have an automatic transmission).
Old March 26th 19, 04:33 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.autos.driving
JAB[_2_]

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 20:14:32 -0400, RS Wood >
wrote:

>realizing it's a stick shift, and
>giving up.

Around here, driver's education will teach people how to drive stick
shift, but after driver's ed is over. Student has to spend extra
hours, and furnish a stick shift automobile.

In other words, the kid already has a license...but more class/drive
time would be required....fat chance a kid wants this...
Old March 26th 19, 09:19 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.autos.driving
Erik Meltzer[_2_]

Hi!

On 26.03.2019 01:14, RS Wood wrote:
> (You know you're dealing with dip****s when you discover they think
> sports cars are going to have an automatic transmission).

Well. What about flappy paddle gearboxes?
They're not *that* rare anymore.

Yours,
Ermel.
--
Nach 10 Jahren oder so zurück im Usenet.
Schmeckt wie früher.
Old March 26th 19, 03:48 PM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.autos.driving
JAB[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 09:19:29 +0100, Erik Meltzer >
wrote:

>Well. What about flappy paddle gearboxes?

An automatic, by any other name, is still an automatic.

Old March 26th 19, 04:55 PM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.autos.driving
Erik Meltzer[_2_]

Hi!

On 26.03.2019 15:48, JAB wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 09:19:29 +0100, Erik Meltzer >
> wrote:
>> Well. What about flappy paddle gearboxes?

> An automatic, by any other name, is still an automatic.

Which is my point.

Yours,
Ermel.
Old March 26th 19, 07:02 PM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.autos.driving
JAB[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 16:55:29 +0100, Erik Meltzer >
wrote:

>> An automatic, by any other name, is still an automatic.

>Which is my point.

That was William Shakespeare's point....

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Old April 6th 19, 01:29 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Followup set to rec.autos.driving

On 03/24/2019 11:21 PM, RS Wood wrote:

> Technology meant to save us from distraction is making us less attentive.

It's getting more and more difficult to find vehicles with stick shifts.
I bought a new vehicle recently and had to go about 200 miles to a
dealership that had a stick shift model in stock.
Old April 6th 19, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
JAB[_2_]

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 20:29:43 -0400, Arif Khokar >
wrote:

>more difficult to find vehicles with stick shifts

I think it should be a requirement to learn on....its about
mental/physical coordination.

Fuel mileage wise, autos vs sticks today are about same, or same mpg.

A lot of play in my stick shift Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Jamie Mello Jeep 20 November 27th 07 06:22 PM
stick shift [email protected] Driving 5 August 27th 07 08:57 PM
Why do stick-shift cars go backwards before going forward? [email protected] Driving 90 July 18th 07 02:52 AM