Belt dressing, pros and cons?

Old July 6th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Micheal C. Jordan

Default Belt dressing, pros and cons?

What are the pros and cons, if any, to applying the spray-on belt
dressings to a multi-vee belt? Does it get rid of a squeal? What is the
liquid in the can, and how is it supposed to work?

Lookinfor Bobsyour Uncle

Old July 6th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
golden oldie

On Jul 6, 1:43*pm, (Micheal C. Jordan)
wrote:
> What are the pros and cons, if any, to applying the spray-on belt
> dressings to a multi-vee belt? Does it get rid of a squeal? What is the
> liquid in the can, and how is it supposed to work?
>
> Lookinfor Bobsyour Uncle
>
> --

Stay away from belt dressing. It will not cure your squeal and the
cleanup required to remove it is a royal PAIN!! Fix the problem.
Usually a bad idler or tensioner are the problem. The steel pulleys
are rarely the problem.

ch
Old July 6th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Micheal C. Jordan > wrote:

>What are the pros and cons, if any, to applying the spray-on belt
>dressings to a multi-vee belt? Does it get rid of a squeal? What is the
>liquid in the can, and how is it supposed to work?

It's a vegetable oil, and it's supposed to make your belt more sticky.

It works sort of, to get a little more life out of a belt that is failing.
If it's squealing, and it's properly tensioned, the belt dressing may help
you get a few more months out of it before you have to change it.
--scott
Old July 7th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_9_]

Micheal C. Jordan wrote:
> What are the pros and cons, if any, to applying the spray-on belt
> dressings to a multi-vee belt? Does it get rid of a squeal? What is the
> liquid in the can, and how is it supposed to work?
>

> Lookinfor Bobsyour Uncle
>

> --

The only belt dressing I've found that works is using a candle - hold it
up against the running belt to coat it. Yes, it's dangerous, and yes it
only works some of the time, and yes if it's a serpentine belt you'll
have to do both sides, but yes, it's cheap to try.

Squealing belt = adjusted wrong, glazed, or you need to try a different
brand. My Fiero would squeal with anything but the Canadian Tire house
brand.

Ray
Old July 7th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike

"Micheal C. Jordan" > wrote in message

> What are the pros and cons, if any, to applying the spray-on belt
> dressings to a multi-vee belt?

Pros: None

Cons: Doesn't work. Makes a mess and is very hard to clean off

> Does it get rid of a squeal?

Not ussually

Old May 30th 19, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rick[_23_]

replying to Micheal C. Jordan, Rick wrote:
Just used belt conditioner on my mower deck belt. Belt popped off once and on
a subsequent restart 20 minutes later the belt tore in two. Belt conditioner
is great if you are selling belts otherwise avoid it. If there is an
alignment, bearing, pulley or idler pulley issue this stuff will do no good
and possibly make things worse.

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/bel...ons-72144-.htm

Old June 5th 19, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 3:43:48 PM UTC-4, Micheal C. Jordan wrote:
> What are the pros and cons, if any, to applying the spray-on belt
> dressings to a multi-vee belt? Does it get rid of a squeal? What is the
> liquid in the can, and how is it supposed to work?
>

> Lookinfor Bobsyour Uncle
>

> --

Stay away from it. Clean your belts & pulleys with soap, or replace them.