bug removal from the front

Old August 28th 07, 11:59 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tjenkins

Default bug removal from the front

I'm going on a car trip and wondered what is best besides a bra, to
keep the bugs from sticking on the front of the car. I'm getting
tired cleaning those little pests off every time I take a car trip.
I was seriously considering taking a cloth of say oil (cooking oil or
wd 40) and wiping it on just the front areas prone to the bugs to keep
them from sticking. Perhaps just liquid car soap would be better?
Any advice besides having me committed, for the car?
Old August 28th 07, 01:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

<tjenkins> wrote in message
> I'm going on a car trip and wondered what is best besides a bra, to
> keep the bugs from sticking on the front of the car. I'm getting
> tired cleaning those little pests off every time I take a car trip.
> I was seriously considering taking a cloth of say oil (cooking oil or
> wd 40) and wiping it on just the front areas prone to the bugs to keep
> them from sticking. Perhaps just liquid car soap would be better?
> Any advice besides having me committed, for the car?

For long trips, I'd go with the bra as it can prevent rock chips as well.
But as soon as I got back I'd take the thing off. Otherwise, there are
specialized commercial products for bug and tar removal:

http://www.properautocare.com/bugtarcokita.html

http://www.lanescarproducts.com/tarbugremkit.html

I have no experience with these. Got 'em from a Google search.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old August 28th 07, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

tjenkins wrote:
> I'm going on a car trip and wondered what is best besides a bra, to
> keep the bugs from sticking on the front of the car. I'm getting
> tired cleaning those little pests off every time I take a car trip.
> I was seriously considering taking a cloth of say oil (cooking oil or
> wd 40) and wiping it on just the front areas prone to the bugs to keep
> them from sticking. Perhaps just liquid car soap would be better?
> Any advice besides having me committed, for the car?

Bra also helps avoid damage from small rocks.

Don't leave a wet bra on the car overnight or
parked in the sun.

As a San Diegan, I push our local products
but beware of WD40. It's good at displacing
water but, on rubber and some plastics it can
make a damaging mess.

--
pj
Old August 28th 07, 02:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<tjenkins> wrote in message
> I'm going on a car trip and wondered what is best besides a bra, to
> keep the bugs from sticking on the front of the car. I'm getting
> tired cleaning those little pests off every time I take a car trip.
> I was seriously considering taking a cloth of say oil (cooking oil
> or
> wd 40) and wiping it on just the front areas prone to the bugs to
> keep
> them from sticking. Perhaps just liquid car soap would be better?
> Any advice besides having me committed, for the car?

Plastic food wrap, two people roll it out and lay it on top edge
first. slit to fit on the corners and smooth it out. Use your head
here, you're not slitting it on the car. If you run in rain take it
off, replace it with new when you have it dried/cleaned off. The wrap
for shipping pallets is better because it is thicker and stops stone
chips but it is harder to get a hold of a stub roll.

Actually I carry an old towel in a baggie and soak it in hot water
then lay it on the bugs for a while and wipe them off. Just removed
the grasshoppers from my van that way with no problem and it looked
like I was in an egg fight, they are huge this year.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old August 28th 07, 05:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
charlie

<tjenkins> wrote in message
> I'm going on a car trip and wondered what is best besides a bra, to
> keep the bugs from sticking on the front of the car. I'm getting
> tired cleaning those little pests off every time I take a car trip.
> I was seriously considering taking a cloth of say oil (cooking oil or
> wd 40) and wiping it on just the front areas prone to the bugs to keep
> them from sticking. Perhaps just liquid car soap would be better?
> Any advice besides having me committed, for the car?

there's a product that they sell for this. like a bra, but is done with very
thick plastic film held on with static. it's form-fitted to the car so is
specific to the car. i've seen it at car shows, but i don't recall what it's
called.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Old August 28th 07, 05:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
TroY

SIMPLE GREEN... i don't worry about the bugs... i just spray with simple
green and let it soak in for a few minutes.. then i take a soapy sponge and
wipe them off.. learned it from a car detailer.. works great..

troy

Old August 28th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

On Aug 28, 6:59 am, tjenkins wrote:
> I'm going on a car trip and wondered what is best besides a bra, to
> keep the bugs from sticking on the front of the car. I'm getting
> tired cleaning those little pests off every time I take a car trip.
> I was seriously considering taking a cloth of say oil (cooking oil or
> wd 40) and wiping it on just the front areas prone to the bugs to keep
> them from sticking. Perhaps just liquid car soap would be better?
> Any advice besides having me committed, for the car?

Wax.

Old August 29th 07, 01:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

<tjenkins> wrote in message
> I'm going on a car trip and wondered what is best besides
> a bra, to
> keep the bugs from sticking on the front of the car. I'm
> getting
> tired cleaning those little pests off every time I take a
> car trip.
> I was seriously considering taking a cloth of say oil
> (cooking oil or
> wd 40) and wiping it on just the front areas prone to the
> bugs to keep
> them from sticking. Perhaps just liquid car soap would
> be better?
> Any advice besides having me committed, for the car?

spread soft paper towels over bugs /
then soak towels with Windex (no ammonia)
or mix dawn soap in warm water /
let sit and bugs come right off...

my2¢
--
"Key"
=====

Old August 29th 07, 01:49 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"The Reverend Natural Light" > wrote
in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 28, 6:59 am, tjenkins wrote:
>> I'm going on a car trip and wondered what is best besides
>> a bra, to
>> keep the bugs from sticking on the front of the car. I'm
>> getting
>> tired cleaning those little pests off every time I take a
>> car trip.
>> I was seriously considering taking a cloth of say oil
>> (cooking oil or
>> wd 40) and wiping it on just the front areas prone to the
>> bugs to keep
>> them from sticking. Perhaps just liquid car soap would
>> be better?
>> Any advice besides having me committed, for the car?

> Wax.

that use to work in the past but not so good these days.
after sitting a while, some wax doesn't come off that easy.
the bugs imbedded in the wax can also scratch the clear
coat.
(seen it happen)

my2¢
--
"Key"
=====

Old August 29th 07, 03:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
D&H Smith

Try pledge to keep bugs from sticking. Works
<tjenkins> wrote in message
> I'm going on a car trip and wondered what is best besides a bra, to
> keep the bugs from sticking on the front of the car. I'm getting
> tired cleaning those little pests off every time I take a car trip.
> I was seriously considering taking a cloth of say oil (cooking oil or
> wd 40) and wiping it on just the front areas prone to the bugs to keep
> them from sticking. Perhaps just liquid car soap would be better?
> Any advice besides having me committed, for the car?

156 Front Bumper Removal Zathras Alfa Romeo 6 April 26th 06 11:49 PM
E36 front fog light removal. Dodgy BMW 7 September 26th 05 01:50 AM
Front torsion bar removal VW air cooled 0 August 19th 05 07:39 PM
front end removal YT Corvette 0 March 31st 05 07:34 PM
94 Front Pony removal 4-2LGW Ford Mustang 3 March 21st 05 02:47 AM