Ford F150 Rotor installation problem

Old May 13th 18, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

Default Ford F150 Rotor installation problem

I took the rear driver rotor off my truck and was ready to replace it when a piece of the emergency brake shoe broke off (a wood-like substance that's like a shim about 1/8 or less). I'm need to travel miles tomorrow and I'm wondering if this is going to screw up my brakes if I just install the rotor without replacing the shoes.

Thanks.

Mike
Old May 13th 18, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sanity Clause[_3_]

Michael wrote:
> I took the rear driver rotor off my truck and was ready to replace it
> when a piece of the emergency brake shoe broke off (a wood-like substance
> that's like a shim about 1/8 or less).

That's known as the brake "lining", and is usually bonded securely to
the metal frame, and together make up the "shoe". With age and use, they
can start to crack and come apart, sometimes just losing chunks,
sometimes coming completely unglued from the metal part.

> I'm need to travel miles tomorrow and I'm wondering if this is going to
> screw up my brakes if I just install the rotor without replacing the shoes.
> Thanks.
> Mike

If you have disc brakes on the rear (calipers and pads on the outside),
and just the parking (not emergency) brake shoes on the inside, then you
only need to worry if you rely on your parkng brake to keep the truck
from moving unexpectedly (parking on really steep hills, or with a
manual transmission, pretty much any hill). If you only lost a small
chunk, don't worry about it. But if you lost the whole lining off a shoe....

Old May 13th 18, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 12:14:10 AM UTC-5, Sanity Clause wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > I took the rear driver rotor off my truck and was ready to replace it
> > when a piece of the emergency brake shoe broke off (a wood-like substance
> > that's like a shim about 1/8 or less).

> That's known as the brake "lining", and is usually bonded securely to
> the metal frame, and together make up the "shoe". With age and use, they
> can start to crack and come apart, sometimes just losing chunks,
> sometimes coming completely unglued from the metal part.
>
> > I'm need to travel miles tomorrow and I'm wondering if this is going to
> > screw up my brakes if I just install the rotor without replacing the shoes.
> > Thanks.
> > Mike

> If you have disc brakes on the rear (calipers and pads on the outside),
> and just the parking (not emergency) brake shoes on the inside, then you
> only need to worry if you rely on your parkng brake to keep the truck
> from moving unexpectedly (parking on really steep hills, or with a
> manual transmission, pretty much any hill). If you only lost a small
> chunk, don't worry about it. But if you lost the whole lining off a shoe....

Much appreciated, Sanity!
Old May 13th 18, 07:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 2:49:38 PM UTC-10, Michael wrote:
> I took the rear driver rotor off my truck and was ready to replace it when a piece of the emergency brake shoe broke off (a wood-like substance that's like a shim about 1/8 or less). I'm need to travel miles tomorrow and I'm wondering if this is going to screw up my brakes if I just install the rotor without replacing the shoes.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

Just don't use your parking brake and everything will be fine. Remember to park on level surfaces. Take a carpenter's level with you so you can check. I would change those shoes if you like to use that mechanical linkage brake. Otherwise, move to an area that doesn't have hills.