Beetle/bug Pickup project

Old April 14th 13, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

Default Beetle/bug Pickup project

Hi all

for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
pickup for me to use for work.

It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .

It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.

Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?

Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated

Thanks
Rich

hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful
Old April 14th 13, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

"tricky" wrote in message
o.uk...
> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
> pickup for me to use for work.

Since we're on r.a.m.v.a we can assume you're going to do this with an air
cooled beetle?

> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof rack
> capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>
> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>
> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>
> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated

A thread where someone builds a Beetle pickup:
http://www.build-threads.com/build-t...vw-bug-pickup/

A picture of a factory built 1946 Beetle pickup:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...er-discovered/

Perhaps something more like what you've got in mind:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lookupinwonder/3209749343/

Video about a conversion using a later model air cooled:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI95y17R8B8

A short article (summary, really) of a '72 conversion:
http://www.evalbum.com/3970

> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

Something like the Mini van?

- Bill

Old April 15th 13, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LeRoy

On 14/04/2013 2:14 PM, Bill Leary wrote:
> "tricky" wrote in message
> o.uk...
>> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
>> pickup for me to use for work.

> Since we're on r.a.m.v.a we can assume you're going to do this with an
> air cooled beetle?
>
>> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
>> rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>>
>> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>>
>> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
>> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>>
>> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated

> A thread where someone builds a Beetle pickup:
> http://www.build-threads.com/build-t...vw-bug-pickup/
>
> A picture of a factory built 1946 Beetle pickup:
> http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...er-discovered/
>

> Perhaps something more like what you've got in mind:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/lookupinwonder/3209749343/
>
> Video about a conversion using a later model air cooled:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI95y17R8B8
>
> A short article (summary, really) of a '72 conversion:
> http://www.evalbum.com/3970
>
>> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

> Something like the Mini van?
>
> - Bill

Just wonder what the total cost was?
Old April 15th 13, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

"LeRoy" wrote in message ...
> On 14/04/2013 2:14 PM, Bill Leary wrote:
>> "tricky" wrote in message
>>> o.uk...
>>> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
>>> pickup for me to use for work.

> Since we're on r.a.m.v.a we can assume you're going to do this with an
> air cooled beetle?
> ((..omitted..))
>>> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more
>>> useful

>> Something like the Mini van?

> Just wonder what the total cost was?

Total cost of which item? Not that I'd know anyway, since I didn't read
through all of any of those links.

- Bill

Old April 15th 13, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 15/04/13 18:13, Bill Leary wrote:
> "LeRoy" wrote in message ...

>> Since we're on r.a.m.v.a we can assume you're going to do this with an
>> air cooled beetle?
>> ((..omitted..))
>>>
>>> Something like the Mini van?

>> Just wonder what the total cost was?

> Total cost of which item? Not that I'd know anyway, since I didn't read
> through all of any of those links.
>
> - Bill

Yes .,.. Totaly Aircooled

If I did a van, maybe something like a morris traveller
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...C-UK/00037.jpg
a bit of 'woody' going on

I have a couple of likely candidates for the project
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...K/DSC01869.jpg

I have a 'spare' roof I can use too, and a 72 Type2 pickup to take
inspiration from too

I'm in a place where I am fed up with the VW communitiy slowly tuning
water cooled, and find myself withdrawing to my own little AC corner

Rich
Old April 15th 13, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

I do like this one

http://www.build-threads.com/wp-cont...012/08/133.jpg

Old April 16th 13, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

"tricky" wrote in message
o.uk...
> ((..omitted..))
> I'm in a place where I am fed up with the VW communitiy slowly tuning
> water cooled, and find myself withdrawing to my own little AC corner

I haven't owned an air cooled VW in twenty-five years. I had two beetles
before that. A '64 which I souped up which ended it's life in a collision
with a bridge abutment during an ice storm. And later a '68 which had the
engine seize. Since the early '90's I've owned Scirocco's. Four of them
overall. I still have two, one driven the other as a parts car.

I'd like to find a restorable late '60's bug to work on after I retire. But
I'd want it pretty much just as a bug. I'm not looking for anything like
your objective.

- Bill

Old April 19th 13, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jorge[_2_]

In article >,
tricky > wrote:

> Hi all
>
> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
> pickup for me to use for work.
>
> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
> rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>
> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>
> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>
> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Rich
>
> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

I just got done cutting a '71 type two down into a pick-up. It was
pretty rusty .
One thing the transporter has the beetle doesn't, a real frame.
a beetle needs the roof for structural reasons.
--
Karma ; what a concept!
Old April 19th 13, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 19/04/13 05:38, Jorge wrote:
> In article<RfednXBIyrX0NffMnZ2dnUVZ8radnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk>,
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
>> pickup for me to use for work.
>>
>> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
>> rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>>
>> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>>
>> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
>> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>>
>> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rich
>>
>> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

> I just got done cutting a '71 type two down into a pick-up. It was
> pretty rusty .
> One thing the transporter has the beetle doesn't, a real frame.
> a beetle needs the roof for structural reasons.

I have a couple of beetles with the roof already cut off.
The heater channels have the Cabriolet strengthening beams fitted

There are other panels and bracing that need to be fitted too.

Unless I make it into a van
Old April 20th 13, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:00:25 AM UTC-4, tricky wrote:
> Hi all for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle pickup for me to use for work. It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets . It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete. Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space. Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ? Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated Thanks Rich hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

I have always wanted to convert a type 3 into a truck.