'71 Ghia jumpy fuel guage

Old December 15th 12, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Steve Mc

Default '71 Ghia jumpy fuel guage

It works, but it jumps from empty to it's actual quite a bit.

Most likely cause ?

Thanks,

--

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Old December 16th 12, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

On 12/15/2012 09:01 AM, Steve Mc wrote:
> It works, but it jumps from empty to it's actual quite a bit.
>
> Most likely cause ?
>
> Thanks,

Bad contacts either in the sender cable, connector, or the vibrator
adjustment pot (i think it's called) on the back of the gauge.

Old December 16th 12, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

On 12/15/2012 09:01 AM, Steve Mc wrote:
> It works, but it jumps from empty to it's actual quite a bit.
>
> Most likely cause ?
>
> Thanks,

or even pressure in the tank. I think that's my problem with my gauge
going from half to 1/4 for no reason. My line to the charcoal bottle is
apparently blocked

Old December 16th 12, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bob[_57_]

On Dec 15, 4:19*pm, David Gravereaux > wrote:
> On 12/15/2012 09:01 AM, Steve Mc wrote:
>
> > It works, but it jumps from empty to it's actual quite a bit.

> > Most likely cause ?

> > Thanks,

> or even pressure in the tank. *I think that's my problem with my gauge
> going from half to 1/4 for no reason. *My line to the charcoal bottle is
> apparently blocked
>
> --

I've had two fuel sender problems. On my 1967 bus, the fuel gauge
quit working. About 4 years ago, I fill the tank with E85 because it
was cheap. However, I didn't know what E85 actually was. I drove it
non-stop for 100 miles and when I pulled into town, the engine had
significantly reduced power. I then filled it with regular gasoline,
got all my power back and my fuel gauge has worked properly ever
since. My second issue is with my 1995 Subaru. They don't sell
Chevron gas were I live and I know from past experience from 2006 that
if I use Chevron, my gas gauge works. This past Thanksgiving, I drove
from Cheyenne WY to Houston TX and back. I used Chevron all the way
and my gas gauge is working again. I have used Techron additive, but
it doesn't seem to work as good as the actual gasoline.
Old December 17th 12, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

A possibility is the gauge is not securely grounded on the back of the
dash. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537527

Old December 18th 12, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Olli Lammi[_2_]

On 15.12.2012 19:01, Steve Mc wrote:
> It works, but it jumps from empty to it's actual quite a bit.
>
> Most likely cause ?

I would start by cleaning the wire terminals and connectors on the
sender and gauge resonator/vibrator end. They might be corroded. The
tank needs also to have good ground contact.

Olli

Old December 19th 12, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Steve Mc

Thank you all.

I'll check 'em out.

--

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Old December 20th 12, 10:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

With the regulator its also easy to "uncrimp" the edges, take apart and
clean connector.
Recrimp together again. Its simply a heater element coupled to a bimetal
strip that opens
a pair of contacts.
John

fuel guage dferdon Ford Explorer 3 June 13th 06 06:08 AM
fuel guage problem Laz Saturn 3 October 15th 05 04:31 PM
fuel guage dancin??? help Jeep 4 February 2nd 05 07:31 PM
fuel guage/fuel pump Elaine again ^,,^ Saturn 7 January 12th 05 09:56 AM
faulty fuel guage M Power BMW 0 December 28th 04 10:09 PM