Pennsylvania, you're covered!

Old February 1st 08, 09:21 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Carl ROGÉRS

Default Pennsylvania, you're covered!

Hi Viatologists,

Up next is Pennsylvania, USA... Also known as the Keystone State, its
population of 12,5 million uses an intricate set of Interstates, US Federal
Routes and State Routes daily. As the planet's largest sampler of highway
media, the Worldwide Highway Library (WHL) brings to you photographs of
Pennsylvania State Routes 252, 407, 643 and 731.

http://worldwide-hwys.calrog.com
Photographs > Americas > United States > State Routes > Pennsylvania

Odds are, you won't see the hard-working Pennsylvania Dutch on these roads.
Those dudes are the masters of their craft, proudly staying on grounds to
complete their tasks. If you need a carpenter who gets the job done, they
will impress.

Stick around this weekend for more updates to the WHL, including interesting
trivia surrounding the highway.

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
"Adding human experience to transportology"
********
Calrog.com, Worldwide Highway Library:
http://worldwide-hwys.calrog.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An integrated media arm in International Transportation Research. Has
served your home country and ninety-nine of its worldwide neighbours
since 2000, through Internet downstream and published works.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
********

Old February 1st 08, 09:33 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Ron's Inspector's Inspector

"Carl Rogers" > wrote in message
. net...
> Hi Viatologists,
>
> Up next is Pennsylvania, USA...

Is there anyone in Pennsylvania who requested this? Step forward.

> Odds are, you won't see the hard-working Pennsylvania Dutch on these
> roads. Those dudes are the masters of their craft, proudly staying on
> grounds to complete their tasks. If you need a carpenter who gets the job
> done, they will impress.

Hey, dumb-ass... there is no one specific people known as the "Pennsylvania
Dutch." There are the Amish, Mennonites, and the Germanic colonists, who
live in the same area of south-central Pennsylvania, hence the "Pennsylvania
Dutch" moniker. And fortunately there are no Amish on the Internet; I'm
sure one of them would take one of their shop-hewn hammers to your skull
just for mentioning them.

Old February 1st 08, 10:06 PM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving
Iarnrod

On Feb 1, 1:21*pm, "Carl Rogers" > wrote:
> Hi Viatologists,
>
> Up next is Pennsylvania, USA... *Also known as the Keystone State, its
> population of 12,5 million uses an intricate set of Interstates, US Federal
> Routes and State Routes daily.

There are no such things as "federal routes" in Pennsylvania or other
states.

>*As the planet's largest sampler of highway
> media, the Worldwide Highway Library (WHL) brings to you photographs of
> Pennsylvania State Routes 252, 407, 643 and 731.

The planet's largest sampler of highway media has shots of only four
minor PA state highways?
Old February 1st 08, 10:30 PM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving
Alternate US 71

On Feb 1, 3:06 pm, Iarnrod > wrote:

> The planet's largest sampler of highway media has shots of only four
> minor PA state highways?

Ben Prusia's old site (RIP... damn I miss that site) had termini
photos of every Missouri State highway, yet the Worldwide Highway
Liability apparently "covers" Missouri with a single photo of 5 SEMO
state highway shields. Jeff Morrison's Iowa Highway site has ****e-
loads more interesting (and better quality) photos of Iowa highway
ends, and better coverage of just one state, than KlRgz does for any
one state in his "worldwide" coverage.

~D
Old February 1st 08, 11:22 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Rich Piehl[_2_]

Iarnrod wrote:
> On Feb 1, 1:21 pm, "Carl Rogers" > wrote:
>> Hi Viatologists,
>>
>> Up next is Pennsylvania, USA... Also known as the Keystone State, its
>> population of 12,5 million uses an intricate set of Interstates, US Federal
>> Routes and State Routes daily.

> There are no such things as "federal routes" in Pennsylvania or other
> states.
>
>> As the planet's largest sampler of highway
>> media, the Worldwide Highway Library (WHL) brings to you photographs of
>> Pennsylvania State Routes 252, 407, 643 and 731.

> The planet's largest sampler of highway media has shots of only four
> minor PA state highways?

If you actually want to explore the PA highways on the web rather than
just getting a couple of photos and a bunch of self indulgent propaganda
visit Jeff Kitsko's site.

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA

--
That's one of the problems in this country
The nuts don't know they're nuts.

--Jeff Foxworthy
Old February 1st 08, 11:31 PM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving
Der Tschonnie

On Feb 1, 12:33 pm, "Ron's Inspector's Inspector" <get.lost@invalid>
wrote:

<snip>

> Hey, dumb-ass... there is no one specific people known as the "Pennsylvania
> Dutch." There are the Amish, Mennonites, and the Germanic colonists, who
> live in the same area of south-central Pennsylvania, hence the "Pennsylvania
> Dutch" moniker. And fortunately there are no Amish on the Internet; I'm

Chust for so...("just for so" as we say), there is a Pennsylvania
German/Pennsylvania Dutch culture which is distinct, and, in many
cases, dying out.

There are two types of "Dutchies" (Deitschers/Germans) - the "plain"
people (the Anabaptists, a branch of Christianity which believes in
adult baptism and which includes the Amish, Mennonites, and the
Brethren denominations) who disdain ornamentation and various levels
of technology, and the "gay" people (Lutherans and the (former)
Reformed-now-United-Church-of-Christ denominations) which retained the
language and much of the tradition but which practiced infant baptism
and used technology just as their "English" neighbors did.

This is verifiable through sources such as wikipedia and Kutztown
University of Pennsylvania's Pennsylvania German Cultural Heritage
Center.

The Lutherans and Reformed people remained in Pennsylvania, for the
most part. The Anabaptists needed to give land to their sons as
working farms, so they moved further west in the state, and continued
into Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and several provinces of
Canada to obtain large tracts of land suitable for subdivision.

So, in brief, anything in Pennsylvania could work. It has thousands
of miles of state highway, much of which meanders through different
counties. Look at PA 309, which runs from Philadelphia to Wilkes-
Barre. It runs through Lehigh County, considered part of Pennsylvania
Dutch country.

We should be proud of this part of our national culture. It gave us
funnel cakes.
Old February 2nd 08, 12:03 AM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving
Gary V

> Odds are, you won't see the hard-working Pennsylvania Dutch on these roads.
> Those dudes

I don't believe I've ever heard Amish refered to as "dudes".
Old February 2nd 08, 12:34 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Iarnrod:
> On Feb 1, 1:21*pm, "Carl Rogers" > wrote:
> > Hi Viatologists,
> >
> > Up next is Pennsylvania, USA... *Also known as the Keystone State, its
> > population of 12,5 million uses an intricate set of Interstates, US Federal
> > Routes and State Routes daily.

> There are no such things as "federal routes" in Pennsylvania or other
> states.

Sure there are. They're just on Saturn....
http://www.worldofnecromancer.org/pics/humor5.html

> >*As the planet's largest sampler of highway
> > media, the Worldwide Highway Library (WHL) brings to you photographs of
> > Pennsylvania State Routes 252, 407, 643 and 731.

> The planet's largest sampler of highway media has shots of only four
> minor PA state highways?

Consider yourselves fortunate that he only spent a little time in your
state.

necromancer

Official Overseer Of Kooks And Trolls In rec.autos.driving
Old February 2nd 08, 02:54 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Ron's Inspector's Inspector <get.lost@invalid> wrote:

>Hey, dumb-ass... there is no one specific people known as the "Pennsylvania
>Dutch." There are the Amish, Mennonites, and the Germanic colonists, who
>live in the same area of south-central Pennsylvania, hence the "Pennsylvania
>Dutch" moniker. And fortunately there are no Amish on the Internet; I'm
>sure one of them would take one of their shop-hewn hammers to your skull
>just for mentioning them.

The Amish are pacifists, and in any case would not want to get Carl's
blood on a hammer, as blood is harmful to the metal and difficult to remove.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old February 2nd 08, 03:02 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Gary V > wrote:
>> Odds are, you won't see the hard-working Pennsylvania Dutch on these roads.
>> Those dudes

>I don't believe I've ever heard Amish refered to as "dudes".

Indeed; neither of the earlier meanings makes sense for the Amish:

1: a man extremely fastidious in dress and manner : dandy
2: a city dweller unfamiliar with life on the range; especially : an
Easterner in the West

The Amish are about as far from dandies as you can get and they're not
typically city-dwellers.
result in a fully-depreciated one.