1994 Accord LX Power Window Problem

Old December 27th 04, 02:16 AM
R. P.

Default 1994 Accord LX Power Window Problem

I've noticed for some time now that the driver side window has been
rather slow to close and often showed hesitancy while moving up.
Lowering the window has never been the problem. Today I got to a point
where I could not close the window more than half way up after I entered
a parking garage. Naturally I could not leave the car parked that way,
so I left the garage immediately and headed home on the freeway. About
half way home I tried to close the window and to my surprise it did
slowly close. Now I'm afraid to touch the power button on that window
as I rather have it stuck in closed than in open position till I can get
it fixed.

I wonder how many of you have experienced this kind of power window
problem on this or other Honda models and if there is a common cause for
most of them that I myself could hopefully fix. I'm afraid that if I
take it to a Honda dealer or other shop they might charge me a new servo
kit when perhaps all that was needed was some cleaning and grease job.

I do have the official Honda service manual for this model but when I
looked at all the electric stuff there behind the door panel that I
could possibly screw up during the disassembly and reassembly, I am
pretty hesitant doing the job myself unless I hear some reassuring
experiences from you guys who've done the job yourself. I am also not
keen getting some special purpose tools just for a one-time job like
this.

Thanks for relating any experiences you might have about this subject,
Rudy

Old December 27th 04, 02:22 AM
Michael Pardee

"R. P." > wrote in message
> I've noticed for some time now that the driver side window has been rather
> slow to close and often showed hesitancy while moving up. Lowering the
> window has never been the problem. Today I got to a point where I could
> not close the window more than half way up after I entered a parking
> garage. Naturally I could not leave the car parked that way, so I left
> the garage immediately and headed home on the freeway. About half way home
> I tried to close the window and to my surprise it did slowly close. Now
> I'm afraid to touch the power button on that window as I rather have it
> stuck in closed than in open position till I can get it fixed.
>
> I wonder how many of you have experienced this kind of power window
> problem on this or other Honda models and if there is a common cause for
> most of them that I myself could hopefully fix. I'm afraid that if I take
> it to a Honda dealer or other shop they might charge me a new servo kit
> when perhaps all that was needed was some cleaning and grease job.
>
> I do have the official Honda service manual for this model but when I
> looked at all the electric stuff there behind the door panel that I could
> possibly screw up during the disassembly and reassembly, I am pretty
> hesitant doing the job myself unless I hear some reassuring experiences
> from you guys who've done the job yourself. I am also not keen getting
> some special purpose tools just for a one-time job like this.
>
> Thanks for relating any experiences you might have about this subject,
> Rudy

IIRC, this is a common problem that is addressed by spraying the
weatherstrip channels with silicone lubricant spray.

Mike

Old December 27th 04, 02:30 AM
Howard

All you should need is some lubrication of the the front and/or rear window
track in the driver door. There isn't much you can screw up by just taking
the door panel (interior) off. Use a grease called Dielectric Grease. Also
check that the tracks are not loose or have moved as to cause a binding when
the window moves up or down.
If you don't feel confident in doing it yourself, bring it to a competetent
mechanic or dealer and tell them that is what you want done. If they won't
do what you ask, then bring it somewhere else. If they find somwthing else,
make sure you look at it and understand what they say is wrong before you
authorize it.
Howard

Old December 27th 04, 04:49 AM
R. P.

"Michael Pardee" > wrote:
> IIRC, this is a common problem that is addressed by spraying the
> weatherstrip channels with silicone lubricant spray.

Would it be enough just to spray the channels that are visible without
removing the inside door panel? How come the other windows work fine?

Rudy

Old December 27th 04, 06:33 AM
SoCalMike

R. P. wrote:
> Would it be enough just to spray the channels that are visible

probably. wouldnt hurt.

> removing the inside door panel? How come the other windows work fine?

i think the window loosens and gets cockeyed in the channel enough to rub.

Old December 28th 04, 03:04 AM
R. P.

"Howard" > wrote:
> All you should need is some lubrication of the the front and/or rear
> window
> track in the driver door. There isn't much you can screw up by just
> taking
> the door panel (interior) off. Use a grease called Dielectric Grease.

Dielectric grease? That's used for electrical contact surfaces.

Rudy

Old December 28th 04, 03:09 AM
R. P.

"SoCalMike" > wrote:
> R. P. wrote:
>> Would it be enough just to spray the channels that are visible

> probably. wouldnt hurt.

I tried it and it indeed helped. I can now operate the window up and
down but I try to apply more of that silicon spray later.

Boy, I'm sure glad I posted my problem here first before I went to a
repair shop. It sure saved me a bundle!

Rudy