rear panel applique

Old September 28th 05, 04:08 AM
NCV-VT

Default rear panel applique

2002 XLT. The rear panel applique is that piece of plastic body about 8"
tall running the width of the liftgate and just underneath the rear window.
They are notorious for cracking in cold weather and there is "silent"
program on them. In February the dealer's shop got a new applique panel and
sent it and the car to an autobody repair shop to glue the new one on.
Since then the glue has loosened when exposed to sunlight heat and has
popped loose. The body shop reglued it in August and now it has pooped
loose again in the sun. The body shop advises that Ford came out with a new
adhesive to address this problem but it still is no help. Seems like there
is a heat - expansion problem. Any ideas on how to corral this annoyance?

Old September 28th 05, 12:22 PM
wth

Have dealer install a whole new panel. Ia'm on our 2nd panel because after
the 1st panel was installed, rain water would get trapped behind the panel
on the right side. Then when you would open the tailgate/window, water (2oz)
would then run out from behind the panel. I told them I didn't want that
water freezing in the winter and pop the panel off. Dealer got a new one
painted/installed.
wth

Old September 29th 05, 03:09 PM
D.D. Pallmer

Interesting that the new 2006 vehicles no longer have this panel but just
have the glass that opens without the lower panel.