Why Not Let Honda Et Al. Take Over GM?

Old December 9th 08, 11:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle[_4_]

Default Why Not Let Honda Et Al. Take Over GM?

Is any other Honda enthusiast struck by the U.S. Congress's
and President's effort to shore up and nationalize companies
that make terrible automobiles and have long promoted
gluttony by consumers? Why not instead compel, one way or
another, mergers with Honda, Toyota, and Subaru or Nissan
such that they would agree to start new plants, employ many
of Detroit's former workers, and fill the gap that the
demise of Detroit's auto companies would unquestionably
cause?

Old December 9th 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
News

Elle wrote:
> Is any other Honda enthusiast struck by the U.S. Congress's
> and President's effort to shore up and nationalize companies
> that make terrible automobiles and have long promoted
> gluttony by consumers? Why not instead compel, one way or
> another, mergers with Honda, Toyota, and Subaru or Nissan
> such that they would agree to start new plants, employ many
> of Detroit's former workers, and fill the gap that the
> demise of Detroit's auto companies would unquestionably
> cause?

And why would this interest Honda and the others? How much should they
charge the Big Three to even perform due diligence, let alone take on
their baggage?
Old December 9th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Toommy

I know in Europe Nissan customers are less than happy

When Renault of France "joined" Nissan we discovered that instead of
Renaults becoming more reliable and well built it was Nissan cars that were
built down to Froggie (apologies standards

t...

Old December 9th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle[_4_]

"News" > wrote
> And why would this interest Honda and the others?

The government would pay Honda Et Al. for their interest as
opposed to paying money to the Big 3.

Old December 9th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle[_4_]

"Toommy" > wrote
>I know in Europe Nissan customers are less than happy
>
> When Renault of France "joined" Nissan we discovered that
> instead of Renaults becoming more reliable and well built
> it was Nissan cars that were built down to Froggie
> (apologies standards

Keep the workers; throw out big 3 management.

Old December 9th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
News

Elle wrote:
> "News" > wrote
>
>>And why would this interest Honda and the others?

> The government would pay Honda Et Al. for their interest as
> opposed to paying money to the Big 3.

I repeat, why would keeping competitors alive interest Honda et al?
Old December 9th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle[_4_]

"News" > wrote
> Elle wrote:
>> "News" > wrote
>>
>>>And why would this interest Honda and the others?

>> The government would pay Honda Et Al. for their interest
>> as opposed to paying money to the Big 3.

> I repeat, why would keeping competitors alive interest
> Honda et al?

No no; I am saying let the competitors die. Just move their
workers to Honda et al. and continue making Hondas, Toyotas
etc. but not the crappy Fords, GMs, and Chryslers.

If you have not been reading about the proposed Big 3
bailout, you are not going to understand this thread.

Old December 9th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
News

Elle wrote:
> "News" > wrote
>
>>Elle wrote:
>>
>>>"News" > wrote

>>>The government would pay Honda Et Al. for their interest
>>>as opposed to paying money to the Big 3.

>>I repeat, why would keeping competitors alive interest
>>Honda et al?

> No no; I am saying let the competitors die. Just move their
> workers to Honda et al. and continue making Hondas, Toyotas
> etc. but not the crappy Fords, GMs, and Chryslers.
>
> If you have not been reading about the proposed Big 3
> bailout, you are not going to understand this thread.

Ha ha. If you don't understand international competitive dynamics and
game theory, you are over your head.
Old December 9th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle[_4_]

"News" > wrote
> Elle wrote:

>>>I repeat, why would keeping competitors alive interest
>>>Honda et al?

>> No no; I am saying let the competitors die. Just move
>> their workers to Honda et al. and continue making Hondas,
>> Toyotas etc. but not the crappy Fords, GMs, and
>> Chryslers.
>>
>> If you have not been reading about the proposed Big 3
>> bailout, you are not going to understand this thread.

> Ha ha. If you don't understand international competitive
> dynamics and game theory, you are over your head.

So you are unaware of the bailout. Wrong thread for you.

Old December 9th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
rick++

I read an interesting tongue-in-check proposal to
have Steve Jobs take over GM. When Steve left
Apple for eight years to run NeXT and Pixar,
Apple pretty much became the GM of computers-
almost bankrupt, stoogy old product lines,
excessive model types, etc.
When Steve returned he dumped non-core functions
such as manufacturing, cut product lines by 2/3rds,
and returned style to the lineup.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...07_005508.html