Can I get a louder horn?

Old August 30th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Default Can I get a louder horn?

In article . com>,
says...
> This ****ing idiot almost hit me today when she totally wasn't paying
> any attention and changed into my lane just as I was driving past
> her. I honked at her, but gotta say that my horn volume didn't seem
> all that loud. How much would it cost to get a louder horn, and is
> that even legal in the US?

Depends on how loud you want to be. Most states do have limits on horn
volume, but many cars are well below the legal limit, so there's a good
chance you can get a louder horn without breaking any laws.

Pull your own at a junkyard.

--
is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
Old August 30th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Steve Daniels

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:43:17 -0700, against all advice, something
compelled >, to say:

> Pull your own at a junkyard.

I'm not that kinky.

--
Life is too short to play cheap guitars.
Old August 30th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

In article >,
says...
> > How much would it cost to get a louder horn, and is
> > that even legal in the US?

> Get a train air horn:
http://www.hornblasters.com/

Do check your local laws first, at first glance, I believe many of their
products would be illegal for use on public roads in many jurisdictions.

Old August 30th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Studemania

On Aug 29, 10:05 am, NB > wrote:
> This ****ing idiot almost hit me today when she totally wasn't paying
> any attention and changed into my lane just as I was driving past
> her. I honked at her, but gotta say that my horn volume didn't seem
> all that loud. How much would it cost to get a louder horn, and is
> that even legal in the US?

I got one from a Volvo to replace one in my Toyota.
Works well. Switched it to the next one, too, IIRC

I would suggest that you put a handy switch in the wire to the
replacement / addition, in case you want to give a quiet "beep" with
the weak one in a non-emergency.

Old August 30th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
aemeijers

"Steve" > wrote in message
> NB > wrote:
>>This ****ing idiot almost hit me today when she totally wasn't paying
>>any attention and changed into my lane just as I was driving past
>>her. I honked at her, but gotta say that my horn volume didn't seem
>>all that loud. How much would it cost to get a louder horn, and is
>>that even legal in the US?

> Dunno, but a cheaper solution would be to carry Rod Speed in the
> passenger seat at all times.

Nah, after an hour of him, you'd drive the car into a tree yourself, Just To
Make It Stop.

aem sends....

Old August 30th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Odd Bob

NB > wrote in news:1188407120.440695.171500@
57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

> This ****ing idiot almost hit me today when she totally wasn't paying
> any attention and changed into my lane just as I was driving past
> her. I honked at her, but gotta say that my horn volume didn't seem
> all that loud. How much would it cost to get a louder horn, and is
> that even legal in the US?

I dunno, I'd think a really loud horn would be more likely to startle an
oblivious driver into doing something dangerously stupid, like swerving out
of control. It might also startle other drivers around you who aren't
currently doing anything stupid. It can be really hard to tell who's
honking at who sometimes.

I have to admit, there'd be a certain visceral satisfaction in blasting
some idiot with 130 decibels of obnoxious sound. Not sure how useful it
would actually be, though...

-- Bob

Old August 30th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
tsi-yu

NB wrote:
> This ****ing idiot almost hit me today when she totally wasn't paying
> any attention and changed into my lane just as I was driving past
> her. I honked at her, but gotta say that my horn volume didn't seem
> all that loud. How much would it cost to get a louder horn, and is
> that even legal in the US?

Sure you can. It won't stop such stuff though and might even make some
idjit lose control and hit someone most likely you. Some of the rigs can
literally scare you to death.
Just keep an eye out for everyone else. The roads are getting so crowded
I hate to go near town. Everyone is talking on a dad blamed cellphone or
even reading a book like I saw a few days ago. Give them a minute's
inattention and they could kill us.
Old August 30th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Shawn Hirn

In article . com>,
NB > wrote:

> This ****ing idiot almost hit me today when she totally wasn't paying
> any attention and changed into my lane just as I was driving past
> her. I honked at her, but gotta say that my horn volume didn't seem
> all that loud. How much would it cost to get a louder horn, and is
> that even legal in the US?

You didn't say which car you drive, but odds are, an auto parts store
could put in a more authoritative horn for under $100. Just shop around
at auto parts shops in your area. You may even be able to do the work
yourself.
Old August 30th 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
SMS

NB wrote:
> This ****ing idiot almost hit me today when she totally wasn't paying
> any attention and changed into my lane just as I was driving past
> her. I honked at her, but gotta say that my horn volume didn't seem
> all that loud. How much would it cost to get a louder horn, and is
> that even legal in the US?

Air horns are widely available and are inexpensive.

See "http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40135"

Try to get at least 130dB. Ensure that you use a relay (hook the
existing horn wires to the relay coil).
Old August 30th 07, 08:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Bucky[_1_]

On Aug 29, 10:21 am, Bert Hyman > wrote:
> You could certainly get a louder horn, and it might even be legal,
> but in the long run you're better off using your reaction time the
> way you did, to get out of the way of idiots, rather than blowing
> your horn and hoping that they do the right thing in response.

I agree. Bad drivers are bad drivers, and with a louder horn, there's
a greater chance that they might respond to it, but I wouldn't count
on it.

Can I get a louder horn? NB Driving 32 October 20th 07 06:41 AM
Need to make 1996 Mustang GT Louder!!! an Faster!!! HELP R Ford Mustang 34 September 2nd 07 06:07 AM
engine / exhaust suddenly much louder [email protected] Audi 0 October 19th 06 09:09 PM
AWA [OFFER] auto horn, electrical horn, horns [email protected] General 0 April 20th 06 11:01 AM
New Cross Terrains louder? HerkyJerky Ford Explorer 4 December 21st 05 04:53 AM