How bad is the BMW nav system --- or do I have a flawed copy of the software

Old September 16th 12, 06:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

Default How bad is the BMW nav system --- or do I have a flawed copy of the software

"dizzy" > wrote in message
> dizzy > wrote:
>
>>Here is a modern GPS module. Note the 26s "cold start" acquisition
>>time, and the 1s "aided start" acquisition time.
>>
>>http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloa...W-09003%29.pdf

> Hmm... This article supports the longer "cold" or "factory" time to
> first fix that you guys have been claiming (about 15 minutes).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_first_fix

Well indeed. I had assumed the aGPS was using the [known] position of the
mast to get approximate position of the reciver, however the article tells
you it just downloads the almanac if it can (<5kb) as it will be the same
everywhere.

One of the "problems" with the original GPS is that the clear acquistion
signal is ambigous and without the [now released] p-code or the full almanac
the postion repeats around the earth.

Using a Blackberry on T-Mobile it gives a CEP based around the mast you are
using being nearer than any other, but can take 15 minutes to resynch if the
navigation has not been used recently.

Nokia [on O2] are much better and usually fix immediately or in 20-30s.

> That doesn't match my industry experience, so I'm wondering if a
> faster but less accuarate postion may be reported before all of the
> Almanac data is acquired.

Indeed it can, but remember these birds are doing five miles per second, so
even a tiny error will put you hundreds of metres out.

As described in the article anything that helps (accurate time, approx
position or knowing you are stationary) helps speed up a fix.

> Learned a couple things, anyway.

Anyway early 747's had a hole in the cockpit roof through which a specially
designed sextant was used to get a celestial fix. On KAL 007 they got the
fix OK, but then navigated on a magnetic bearing instead of a true one...

Canadian healthcare system flawed, why are we trying to duplicate? thomas shoup Driving 4 August 22nd 09 08:38 PM
Nav System mod Michael D. Henderson Chrysler 9 July 8th 06 02:11 AM
BMW Car Nav System davidT BMW 8 May 18th 06 05:51 PM
E38 Nav Software Jerry Tabeling BMW 0 May 22nd 05 01:13 AM
Copy of email to [email protected] Julian Edge BMW 305 March 12th 05 08:41 PM