2009 A4 cost of ownership

Old September 20th 08, 03:04 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default 2009 A4 cost of ownership

Hello all,

I am considering leasing or purchasing a 2009 A4. However, the car is
only available in quatro. This made me start to think of the
additional costs associated with quatro (tire wear, breaks, fuel
economy) vs. a front wheel drive version. If anyone has thoughts and
knows the answers please feel free to reply.

Thank you,

Ira
Old September 20th 08, 08:41 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
\(!\)

> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am considering leasing or purchasing a 2009 A4. However, the car is
> only available in quatro. This made me start to think of the
> additional costs associated with quatro (tire wear, breaks, fuel
> economy) vs. a front wheel drive version. If anyone has thoughts and
> knows the answers please feel free to reply.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ira

I have a 1997 A4 2.4 V6 now at 90,000 miles. My father bought it new for
£27,000 and its now worth £1500 maybe. Father put 40k miles on and I have
put the rest.

Its suffered no accidendents and only had the following changes

1. front discs changed once.
2. brake pads changed twice
3. cam belt once at 60k
4. plugs once
5. air filters twice
6. battery once

These have cost approx £1500.

All remaining parts are original. The original tyres lasted 55k miles, its
on its second set now apart from 2 lost due to a nail and a screw.

It still does 31mpg and fires up first thing.

I think a Quattro will most likely cost much more to run certainly the
brakes and tyres and possibly fuel consumption.

Would I buy an Audi........no, well not new, they are now too expensive for
my pocket and Dad has moved on the Mercs..........the 320 version.

Old September 20th 08, 10:46 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ronny[_4_]

"(!)" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am considering leasing or purchasing a 2009 A4. However, the car is
>> only available in quatro. This made me start to think of the
>> additional costs associated with quatro (tire wear, breaks, fuel
>> economy) vs. a front wheel drive version. If anyone has thoughts and
>> knows the answers please feel free to reply.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Ira
>>

> I have a 1997 A4 2.4 V6 now at 90,000 miles. My father bought it new for
> £27,000 and its now worth £1500 maybe. Father put 40k miles on and I have
> put the rest.
>
> Its suffered no accidendents and only had the following changes
>
> 1. front discs changed once.
> 2. brake pads changed twice
> 3. cam belt once at 60k
> 4. plugs once
> 5. air filters twice
> 6. battery once
>
> These have cost approx £1500.
>
> All remaining parts are original. The original tyres lasted 55k miles, its
> on its second set now apart from 2 lost due to a nail and a screw.
>
> It still does 31mpg and fires up first thing.
>
> I think a Quattro will most likely cost much more to run certainly the
> brakes and tyres and possibly fuel consumption.
>
> Would I buy an Audi........no, well not new, they are now too expensive
> for my pocket and Dad has moved on the Mercs..........the 320 version.

Nah quattro costs no more to run other then a few less MPG, on a run my 1.8T
quttro does 40mpg+ tyres last 50k miles + and brakes have not been changed
in 110k miles, I now have 180k miles on my 2002 1.8t and it still drives
great.

Torsion quattro is a sealed unit, it needs no inspection and should last the
life of the car.

On the other hand if you drive it like a nutter then it will break very
quick, like any other car...

Old September 20th 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Is Audi giving free maintenance also like Volvo and VW?

> In the continuing struggle to differentiate themselves from the
> competition during tough times, VW and Volvo throw complimentary
> maintenance into the mix.
> Read Mo http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=131997

Get the quattro since some of the strain is lessened & spread out among more
components!
A little slower and a little less mpg but better driving! <g>

JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old September 20th 08, 05:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Thompson

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

> better driving! <g>

_much_ better!

-s
Old September 20th 08, 07:45 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:04:13 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I am considering leasing or purchasing a 2009 A4. However, the car is
>only available in quatro. This made me start to think of the
>additional costs associated with quatro (tire wear, breaks, fuel
>economy) vs. a front wheel drive version. If anyone has thoughts and
>knows the answers please feel free to reply.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Ira

I have been driving Quattros since 1986. I would find it difficult to
buy anything BUT an Audi Quattro. I doubt there would be a
significant difference in operation costs between an A4 with it and
one without it. The Quattro would weigh slightly more, but the
insignificant difference in gas mileage would be more than compensated
by the safety and driving ease of the Quattro. Brake wear should not
be of any significance.

If you live in an area that has snow, Quattro could make the
difference between traveling and getting stuck. Everyone has rain,
and driving a Quattro in the rain vs. a front wheel drive car of *any*
make would make up your mind to buy the Quattro. It is a great car
that has and continues to receive kudos from auto engineers worldwide.

The Quattro drive is bullet proof, so you should have no concerns
about its durability.

Buy the Quattro and pray for snow or rain.

Dave
Chipped RS6 with 19inch BBS LMs

Old September 21st 08, 12:01 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Thompson

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Dave LaCourse wrote:

> Brake wear should not be of any significance.

I just replaced the front pads on my 2002 A4 Quattro (V6) at 99K miles
(for the first time). Car now has 101K and the rear pads are still the
originals; maybe another 10K left on those. The lightest car on brakes I
have ever owned (my Passat was next; they went 85K).

> Buy the Quattro and pray for snow or rain.

The worst aspect of Quattro ownership is that no matter how bad the
weather is, you can still get to work

Steve