Suzuki SJ10 carb conversion

Old November 15th 05, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Suzuki SJ10 carb conversion

As per popular advice I'm changing the Suzuki carb for an SU one taken
from a 1000cc mini.

I'm having problems making it idle. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Old November 15th 05, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

What is it doing at idle?

Does the dashpot have oil in it?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old November 15th 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

engine idling - i'm experimenting with air/fuel mixture,throttle idle
screw etc. backfires when i shut off engine. What does this backfiring
indicate? Thanks.

Old November 15th 05, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I first think engine run on from a carbon build up in the cylinders.
Did it have run on with the old carb? You can get top end spray that
you shoot the whole can in the intake while keeping the throttle
manually up so it doesn't stall. This can do wonders for that or a cup
of water can be sucked in to a vacuum line on the manifold seeing as you
can't slowly pour it in like with an updraft carb.

The carb should have a 'button' on the bottom that raises the internal
piston. When you push up on this, the rpm will raise if it's too lean,
bog if it's too rich or raise a little then mellow back if the mix is
just right.

The piston pot has to have oil in the center under the screw cap. Up to
the ridge I think it is. We used to use sewing machine oil, but that
spits out fast, I think 10W30 was called for.

Old November 15th 05, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Oh, a little rich and a leak at the intake or exhaust manifold can also
make a backfire.

Mike

Old November 16th 05, 09:45 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Thanks Mike and Pete

1980 LeBaron Carb nirodac Chrysler 5 November 5th 05 09:00 AM
FS: 2 yr. old. EDELBROCK EPS800 Carb incl.extra jets/rods/springs,etc. dave Corvette 3 June 27th 05 10:23 PM
2.6 Mitsubishi Carb to Trade CaravanGuy Chrysler 1 May 7th 05 11:31 AM
Carb found, what is this carb for? Jan VW air cooled 2 November 24th 04 05:40 PM
CB- TYPE 4 replacement carb? scorch VW air cooled 2 October 20th 04 02:11 AM