Wont turn over.

Old November 19th 13, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
jim Trinca

Default Wont turn over.

1980 Corvette, has intermittent no start problem. For no reason when I least
expect it, there is no one home when I turn the key to start. No noise, not
cranking, just nothing. Battery is up, just got to sit and wait it out, then
when it has a change of mind away it goes again.

Old November 20th 13, 09:55 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"jim Trinca" > wrote
in message
roups.com...
> 1980 Corvette, has intermittent no start problem. For no reason when
> I least
> expect it, there is no one home when I turn the key to start. No
> noise, not
> cranking, just nothing. Battery is up, just got to sit and wait it
> out, then
> when it has a change of mind away it goes again.

Could be starter heat soak, was it acting up while warm/hot? If all of
a sudden it won't start when hot and after setting a bit it'll fire
right up that would be the first thing I'd check. If the starter is
new, it should have the spring in the solenoid update. I used to have
the new spring number but that has been 25+ years ago so you may have
to do a search for that number to change just the spring. Few, if any
of the new breed of parts counter people will know what you're talking
about if you ask for the spring update.

Old November 22nd 13, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
jim Trinca

replying to Dad , jim Trinca wrote:
> knockers wrote:
>
> "jim Trinca" > wrote
> in message
> roups.com...
> Could be starter heat soak, was it acting up while warm/hot? If all of
> a sudden it won't start when hot and after setting a bit it'll fire
> right up that would be the first thing I'd check. If the starter is
> new, it should have the spring in the solenoid update. I used to have
> the new spring number but that has been 25+ years ago so you may have
> to do a search for that number to change just the spring. Few, if any
> of the new breed of parts counter people will know what you're talking
> about if you ask for the spring update.

My only concern with it as a possibility is that it makes no noise while
trying to re start, and it can drive for many trips where a over heat could
occure, but does not. Then when you least expect it to happen, it does. I
believe it is a original 1980 starter that came with the car, I have had the
car for 10 yr it could very well need a starter re build with a up grade
spring!

Old November 22nd 13, 11:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ken Olson

"jim Trinca" > wrote in
message roups.com...
> replying to Dad , jim Trinca wrote:
>> knockers wrote:
>>
>> "jim Trinca" > wrote
>> in message
>> roups.com... Could be
>> starter heat soak, was it acting up while warm/hot? If all of a sudden
>> it won't start when hot and after setting a bit it'll fire right up that
>> would be the first thing I'd check. If the starter is new, it should
>> have the spring in the solenoid update. I used to have the new spring
>> number but that has been 25+ years ago so you may have to do a search
>> for that number to change just the spring. Few, if any of the new breed
>> of parts counter people will know what you're talking about if you ask
>> for the spring update.

> My only concern with it as a possibility is that it makes no noise while
> trying to re start, and it can drive for many trips where a over heat
> could
> occure, but does not. Then when you least expect it to happen, it does. I
> believe it is a original 1980 starter that came with the car, I have had
> the
> car for 10 yr it could very well need a starter re build with a up grade
> spring!
>
> --

Unless you're hung up on having it totally original, you might consider one
of the newer design hi-torque starters.

Ken

Old November 30th 13, 02:42 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"jim Trinca" > wrote
in message
roups.com...
> replying to Dad , jim Trinca wrote:
>> knockers wrote:
>>
>> "jim Trinca" >
>> wrote in message
>> roups.com...
>> Could be starter heat soak, was it acting up while warm/hot? If all
>> of a sudden it won't start when hot and after setting a bit it'll
>> fire right up that would be the first thing I'd check. If the
>> starter is new, it should have the spring in the solenoid update.
>> I used to have the new spring number but that has been 25+ years
>> ago so you may have to do a search for that number to change just
>> the spring. Few, if any of the new breed of parts counter people
>> will know what you're talking about if you ask for the spring
>> update.

> My only concern with it as a possibility is that it makes no noise
> while
> trying to re start, and it can drive for many trips where a over
> heat could
> occure, but does not. Then when you least expect it to happen, it
> does. I
> believe it is a original 1980 starter that came with the car, I have
> had the
> car for 10 yr it could very well need a starter re build with a up
> grade
> spring!

You got it right, it makes no noise when trying to start and happens
without warning indicators. The GM part #1958679 spring is lighter and
lessens the power required to engage the starter. Clean all your
grounds and the piston in the solenoid and add a light film of hi-temp
grease. The piston is normally aluminum and can be corroded so polish
up that surface a bit. If that doesn't fix the problem go with the
mini starter but remember that replacing all the connections and
starter is about the same as cleaning the grounds and connections
which is a bit cheaper.