Ahhh the smell of summer

Old June 26th 13, 01:56 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

Default Ahhh the smell of summer

Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......

Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.

Old June 26th 13, 03:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan[_2_]

"Dad" wrote in message ...

Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......

Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.
___________________

They've been rebuilding Cumberland Avenue the last couple of years, and now
between my house and the local Wally World there are 3 (three!) roundabouts
in that two-miles, one-way. This is fun when there's no traffic around.

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old June 26th 13, 05:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
> "Dad" wrote in message
>
> Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......
>
> Only 125 MPH+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.
> ___________________
>
> They've been rebuilding Cumberland Avenue the last couple of years,
> and now between my house and the local Wally World there are 3
> (three!) roundabouts in that two-miles, one-way. This is fun when
> there's no traffic around.
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

AAAAAh crap I missed the H in MPH, just as bad as unloading this thing
and missing third gear. Just haven't got that down yet.

Can't gripe to much but I've been rained on every time I take the '64
to a cruise in or car show this year. After last year I'll take the
rain any way we can get it.

They have been building some of the roundabouts near me and I'll take
them over the stupid 4 way stops any day. One time when I was new to
driving in England I passed a car in a roundabout on the left hand
side. Most everyone close by wanted me to know they had a horn and
middle finger. Found out later that to passing someone on the left was
not the thing to do. I like that, now a days you never know when there
is someone passing you on the right but then but due to the Left Lane
Losers it has become necessary.

Old June 29th 13, 12:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Dad" wrote in message ...

Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......

Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.

--------------------------------
Summer indeed. Already very hot here in Middle GA south of Atlanta. Lots of
rain. Recall back in the 50s and into the 60s people with sports cars
(Healeys, Triumphs. MGs and even Corvettes) used to wave when they passed
each other. Not so any more, although us S2000 owners do wave or blink
headlights. Another fine tradition gone.

Old June 29th 13, 02:38 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "Dad" wrote in message
>
> Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......
>
> Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.
>
> --------------------------------
> Summer indeed. Already very hot here in Middle GA south of Atlanta.
> Lots of rain. Recall back in the 50s and into the 60s people with
> sports cars (Healeys, Triumphs. MGs and even Corvettes) used to wave
> when they passed each other. Not so any more, although us S2000
> owners do wave or blink headlights. Another fine tradition gone.

Must be a southern thing, people up here still wave at fellow sports
car drivers. Healeys & Triumphs in the 50s, not a chance. What's an
S2000?

Old June 29th 13, 08:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

tww1491 wrote:

> "Dad" wrote in message ...
>
> Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......
>
> Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.
>
> --------------------------------
> Summer indeed. Already very hot here in Middle GA south of Atlanta.
> Lots of rain. Recall back in the 50s and into the 60s people with sports
> cars (Healeys, Triumphs. MGs and even Corvettes) used to wave when they
> passed each other. Not so any more, although us S2000 owners do wave or
> blink headlights. Another fine tradition gone.

....out here Covetters and bikers still wave...I think most like vehicles
still wave at each other.

But I know I'm not going out *today* to wave at anybody...heading to 115
today, and I heard at breakfast this morning that it was 130 in Death
Valley yesterday! Talk about "hot asphalt"...

--
- Rufus
Old June 30th 13, 01:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Rufus" > wrote in message
> tww1491 wrote:
>>

>> "Dad" wrote in message
>>
>> Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......
>>
>> Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.
>>
>> --------------------------------
>> Summer indeed. Already very hot here in Middle GA south of
>> Atlanta.
>> Lots of rain. Recall back in the 50s and into the 60s people with
>> sports
>> cars (Healeys, Triumphs. MGs and even Corvettes) used to wave when
>> they
>> passed each other. Not so any more, although us S2000 owners do
>> wave or
>> blink headlights. Another fine tradition gone.
>>

> ...out here Covetters and bikers still wave...I think most like
> vehicles still wave at each other.
>
> But I know I'm not going out *today* to wave at anybody...heading to
> 115 today, and I heard at breakfast this morning that it was 130 in
> Death Valley yesterday! Talk about "hot asphalt"...
>
> --
> - Rufus

It used to be that the C5 whiners said the older Corvette drivers
didn't wave because they were jealous, and the older ones said the C5s
didn't have the Corvette knowledge to keep up the wave. Then it
repeated when the C6 came out. I have to admit I'm caught paying more
attention to driving than I do the whiners. If I see any Corvette in
time I wave, if not, live with it.

I saw that Death Valley might reach 130 yesterday but didn't know it
had, one hot mother to drive through. All the way from Beatty to
Mojave every sound the car made would make you jump, thinking it was
going to fail any time. Was in the high 60s here last night and a
light rain right now.

Old June 30th 13, 02:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Dad wrote:

> "Rufus" > wrote in message
>> tww1491 wrote:
>>>

>>> "Dad" wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......
>>>
>>> Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.
>>>
>>> --------------------------------
>>> Summer indeed. Already very hot here in Middle GA south of Atlanta.
>>> Lots of rain. Recall back in the 50s and into the 60s people with sports
>>> cars (Healeys, Triumphs. MGs and even Corvettes) used to wave when they
>>> passed each other. Not so any more, although us S2000 owners do wave or
>>> blink headlights. Another fine tradition gone.
>>>

>> ...out here Covetters and bikers still wave...I think most like
>> vehicles still wave at each other.
>>
>> But I know I'm not going out *today* to wave at anybody...heading to
>> 115 today, and I heard at breakfast this morning that it was 130 in
>> Death Valley yesterday! Talk about "hot asphalt"...
>>
>> --
>> - Rufus
>>

> It used to be that the C5 whiners said the older Corvette drivers didn't
> wave because they were jealous, and the older ones said the C5s didn't
> have the Corvette knowledge to keep up the wave. Then it repeated when
> the C6 came out. I have to admit I'm caught paying more attention to
> driving than I do the whiners. If I see any Corvette in time I wave, if
> not, live with it.

I generally get feedback for not waving at people in cars that I know
when I'm on my Harley...I tell them that when I'm on my Harley I'm too
busy trying not to get hit by the cars to notice or care who's *in* them...

....but bikers almost always wave at each other when passing and all gens
of Corvetters wave at each other 'round here. And I notice it on the
highway.

> I saw that Death Valley might reach 130 yesterday but didn't know it
> had, one hot mother to drive through. All the way from Beatty to Mojave
> every sound the car made would make you jump, thinking it was going to
> fail any time. Was in the high 60s here last night and a light rain
> right now.

Taking a look, the current Death Valley temp is 128 and the forecast for
the next two days is for 130.

And last night's overnight *low* here in the Indian Wells Valley was
*80*! Currently reading 112, I bet it's higher in the bright sunshine.

--
- Rufus
Old June 30th 13, 03:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Rufus" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:

>>> ...out here Covetters and bikers still wave...I think most like
>>> vehicles still wave at each other.
>>>
>>> But I know I'm not going out *today* to wave at anybody...heading
>>> 115 today, and I heard at breakfast this morning that it was 130
>>> in
>>> Death Valley yesterday! Talk about "hot asphalt"...
>>>
>>> --
>>> - Rufus
>>>

>> It used to be that the C5 whiners said the older Corvette drivers
>> didn't
>> wave because they were jealous, and the older ones said the C5s
>> didn't
>> have the Corvette knowledge to keep up the wave. Then it repeated
>> when
>> the C6 came out. I have to admit I'm caught paying more attention
>> driving than I do the whiners. If I see any Corvette in time I
>> wave, if
>> not, live with it.

> I generally get feedback for not waving at people in cars that I
> know when I'm on my Harley...I tell them that when I'm on my Harley
> I'm too busy trying not to get hit by the cars to notice or care
> who's *in* them...
>
> ...but bikers almost always wave at each other when passing and all
> gens of Corvetters wave at each other 'round here. And I notice it
> on the highway.
>

>> I saw that Death Valley might reach 130 yesterday but didn't know
>> it
>> had, one hot mother to drive through. All the way from Beatty to
>> Mojave
>> every sound the car made would make you jump, thinking it was going
>> fail any time. Was in the high 60s here last night and a light rain
>> right now.

> Taking a look, the current Death Valley temp is 128 and the forecast
> for the next two days is for 130.
>
> And last night's overnight *low* here in the Indian Wells Valley was
> *80*! Currently reading 112, I bet it's higher in the bright
> sunshine.
>
> --
> - Rufus

I can't and won't complain about our weather this year. There's a
saying here that the corn is good if it's knee high by the 4th of
July, well this year it will be shoulder high by the 4th of July.

Old June 30th 13, 05:14 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Dad wrote:

> "Rufus" > wrote in message
>> Dad wrote:

>>> It used to be that the C5 whiners said the older Corvette drivers didn't
>>> wave because they were jealous, and the older ones said the C5s didn't
>>> have the Corvette knowledge to keep up the wave. Then it repeated when
>>> the C6 came out. I have to admit I'm caught paying more attention to
>>> driving than I do the whiners. If I see any Corvette in time I wave, if
>>> not, live with it.

>> I generally get feedback for not waving at people in cars that I know
>> when I'm on my Harley...I tell them that when I'm on my Harley I'm too
>> busy trying not to get hit by the cars to notice or care who's *in*
>> them...
>>
>> ...but bikers almost always wave at each other when passing and all
>> gens of Corvetters wave at each other 'round here. And I notice it on
>> the highway.
>>

>>> I saw that Death Valley might reach 130 yesterday but didn't know it
>>> had, one hot mother to drive through. All the way from Beatty to Mojave
>>> every sound the car made would make you jump, thinking it was going to
>>> fail any time. Was in the high 60s here last night and a light rain
>>> right now.

>> Taking a look, the current Death Valley temp is 128 and the forecast
>> for the next two days is for 130.
>>
>> And last night's overnight *low* here in the Indian Wells Valley was
>> *80*! Currently reading 112, I bet it's higher in the bright sunshine.
>>
>> --
>> - Rufus
>>

> I can't and won't complain about our weather this year. There's a saying
> here that the corn is good if it's knee high by the 4th of July, well
> this year it will be shoulder high by the 4th of July.

....irrigation works. Back east in Illinois corn country where I'm from
they're still waiting on rain I think. And hurting.

I hear the northern half of the state is being drenched though.

Aaahhh...a nice balmy 104 here now at 9:15 pm...and it must be drying
out - my cooler is actually cooling...

--
- Rufus

Maybe summer is over? XS11E[_1_] Mazda 7 October 23rd 09 01:22 PM
Gas is Up, Summer is here. [email protected] Technology 1 May 23rd 09 10:20 AM
just in time for summer [email protected][_1_] VW air cooled 1 April 13th 08 04:35 PM
5W-30 in summer? Bill Johnston Technology 2 May 11th 07 01:10 PM
Ahhh, my contribution for the week... 2.3Sleeper Ford Mustang 2 August 1st 05 02:22 PM