B6 A4: windshield creaking in snowstorm

Old December 7th 12, 07:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Default B6 A4: windshield creaking in snowstorm

It's about -3C now (23F) and the windshield is making creaking noises
for quite a while after I start driving the car in the morning (snow's
falling)

I had the windshield replaced this august with the very same (french)
glass
which I think is the same that is used by ingolstadt on the new audis

the car was sitting idle for the 24 hours after the new windshield was
installed
for the glue to cure properly. plus 25-30C heat back then should have
helped
the curing

not sure if my a4 was drying in the hangar bay of the glass shop or
outside in direct sunlight

thoughts on this and the best time of year to do the inexpedient
windshield replacement?

Old December 10th 12, 02:30 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark[_35_]

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 22:51:17 -0800 (PST), AD > wrote:

>It's about -3C now (23F) and the windshield is making creaking noises
>for quite a while after I start driving the car in the morning (snow's
>falling)
>
>I had the windshield replaced this august with the very same (french)
>glass
>which I think is the same that is used by ingolstadt on the new audis
>
>the car was sitting idle for the 24 hours after the new windshield was
>installed
>for the glue to cure properly. plus 25-30C heat back then should have
>helped
>the curing
>
>not sure if my a4 was drying in the hangar bay of the glass shop or
>outside in direct sunlight
>
>thoughts on this and the best time of year to do the inexpedient
>windshield replacement?

Is it actually the screen? On my A6 the trim below the screen can
creak and the solution is to glue some material between the trim and
the screen.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old December 13th 12, 09:27 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

> Is it actually the screen? *On my A6 the trim below the screen can
> creak and the solution is to glue some material between the trim and
> the screen.

the sound seems to be from the bottom of the windshield
u have a pic of your retrofit or a link to the part where your
retrofit would have been?
as I have difficulty following where and what you have glued to
rectify this.

thanks Mark
Old December 13th 12, 02:10 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark[_35_]

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 00:27:27 -0800 (PST), AD > wrote:

>> Is it actually the screen? *On my A6 the trim below the screen can
>> creak and the solution is to glue some material between the trim and
>> the screen.

>the sound seems to be from the bottom of the windshield
>u have a pic of your retrofit or a link to the part where your
>retrofit would have been?

Unfortunately not. Since having to replace the windowscreen the noise
has not returned so I haven't reapplied the fix.

>as I have difficulty following where and what you have glued to
>rectify this.

I found the solution by googling but I can't find it again right now.
It may have been audiworld. There is an official Audi note on how to
fix the problem (on the A6 anyway). I'll see if I can find it.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old December 21st 12, 12:32 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark[_38_]

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:10:36 +0000, Mark
> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 00:27:27 -0800 (PST), AD > wrote:
>

>>> Is it actually the screen? *On my A6 the trim below the screen can
>>> creak and the solution is to glue some material between the trim and
>>> the screen.

>>the sound seems to be from the bottom of the windshield
>>u have a pic of your retrofit or a link to the part where your
>>retrofit would have been?

>Unfortunately not. Since having to replace the windowscreen the noise
>has not returned so I haven't reapplied the fix.
>
>>as I have difficulty following where and what you have glued to
>>rectify this.

>I found the solution by googling but I can't find it again right now.
>It may have been audiworld. There is an official Audi note on how to
>fix the problem (on the A6 anyway). I'll see if I can find it.

The fix basically involves removing the windscreen cowl (from the
engine bay) and applying strips of felt along the edges of the cowl
top & bottom and then replace.