YIKES!

Old May 26th 11, 01:05 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

Default YIKES!

Went to observe my grandson drive a Lamborgini today. He's a polce
officer and there is a local business that rents high-end cars by the
day. The Lambo is $650 for a week-day, and $500 a day for more than
one day. They had a Porsche 911 Turbo cab, a Bently Continental GT,
and the Lambo. I told him to do the Bently, but I was overruled. This
company has a police and fireman appreciation day each year where they
allow those that sign up a chance to run their exotics.

Jeff took off and the sounds were fantastic. Sounded more like a
motorcycle than a 4 wheeler. He came back 20 minutes later totally
*unimpressed*. He's been to a couple of driving schools, including
the one I used to teach, and he has driven my RS6 at the track. He
said he'd druther the RS6. Steering, transmission, and handling were
better! Surprised the hell out of me.

The "Yikes" came in on the way home when my wife and I stopped by an
Audi dealer to check on a bike carrier for the A8L. They wanted $700+
for the two roof rack bars, and the bike carrier set-up. That back
seat is looking better all the time.

Dave

Old May 26th 11, 11:03 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On May 26, 3:05*am, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> Went to observe my grandson drive a Lamborgini today. *He's a polce
> officer and there is a local business that rents high-end cars by the
> day. *The Lambo is $650 for a week-day, and $500 a day for more than
> one day. *They had a Porsche 911 Turbo cab, a Bently Continental GT,
> and the Lambo. *I told him to do the Bently, but I was overruled. *This
> company has a police and fireman appreciation day each year where they
> allow those that sign up a chance to run their exotics.
>
> Jeff took off and the sounds were fantastic. *Sounded more like a
> motorcycle than a 4 wheeler. *He came back 20 minutes later totally
> *unimpressed*. * He's been to a couple of driving schools, including
> the one I used to teach, and he has driven my RS6 at the track. *He
> said he'd druther the RS6. *Steering, transmission, and handling were
> better! *Surprised the hell out of me.
>
> The "Yikes" came in on the way home when my wife and I stopped by an
> Audi dealer to check on a bike carrier for the A8L. *They wanted $700+
> for the two roof rack bars, and the bike carrier set-up. *That back
> seat is looking better all the time.

Er, may I suggest a trip to U_haul for a hitch and a hitch mounted
bike carrier (you can carry 2 bikes on a hitch with a 1.25"
receptacle)

The love affair with the roof mounted bike carrier may just fall
apart after you enter a garage (I assume you have one and that's
where A8L lives) with the bikes still on top.

besides, I somehow suspect the aerodynamiks of a car with the bikes on
the hitch bike carrier
is so much better so that you won't go far down from your beloved
30mpg.

It takes about a minute or less to mount and dismount the carrier from
the hitch.0
I vaguely remember getting one from vehicleoutfitters.com (Sport Rack
retail shop)

the hitch is about $150 for more mundane cars and the rack was about
that also, though
that was about 8 years back and these days you might have to pay
upward from $200.

I consider $300-400 a small investment to protect the upholstery on
the back yard of your A8L
Old May 26th 11, 01:08 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

The bike, wrapped in a mover's quilt and with the front wheel off, fits
nicely into the back seat. No danger of harming the interior.
However, I will move it to Maine with my wife's car (four bike carrier
attached to the rear of the vehicle). It will spend the summer in the
north woods of Maine and return home (again on my wife's car) in
September.

Thanks.

Dave

Old May 26th 11, 02:29 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On May 26, 3:08*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> The bike, wrapped in a mover's quilt and with the front wheel off, fits
> nicely into the back seat. *No danger of harming the interior. *

Marketing folk at audi are anxiously listening
for an inspiration for a next commercial pegging A8 against A8L.

> However, I will move it to Maine with my wife's car (four bike carrier
> attached to the rear of the vehicle). *It will spend the summer in the

Yeah, butch class III hitches can handle 4 bike carriers while space
age frame
on A8 can't carry the load. That thing on truck like chassis has a 2"
receptacle
if my memory serves me right.
Old May 26th 11, 08:10 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-26 09:29:04 -0400, AD > said:

> On May 26, 3:08*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
>> The bike, wrapped in a mover's quilt and with the front wheel off, fits
>> nicely into the back seat. *No danger of harming the interior. *

> Marketing folk at audi are anxiously listening
> for an inspiration for a next commercial pegging A8 against A8L.
>
>> However, I will move it to Maine with my wife's car (four bike carrier
>> attached to the rear of the vehicle). *It will spend the summer in the

> Yeah, butch class III hitches can handle 4 bike carriers while space
> age frame
> on A8 can't carry the load. That thing on truck like chassis has a 2"
> receptacle
> if my memory serves me right.

Horse caca. The Audi bike carrier is very well built, as are the two
cross members. Their expense is the only issue. I have an excellent
carrier bought for a Toyota Land Cruiser about 20 years ago. It fits
my wife's Lexus RX350 and does an excellent job. It cost me about 45
bucks way-back-when.

Dave

Old May 27th 11, 08:20 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Body Roll

On May 26, 10:10*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-05-26 09:29:04 -0400, AD > said:
>
> > On May 26, 3:08*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> >> The bike, wrapped in a mover's quilt and with the front wheel off, fits
> >> nicely into the back seat. *No danger of harming the interior. *

> > Marketing folk at audi are anxiously listening
> > for an inspiration for a next commercial pegging A8 against A8L.

> >> However, I will move it to Maine with my wife's car (four bike carrier
> >> attached to the rear of the vehicle). *It will spend the summer in the

> > Yeah, butch class III hitches can handle 4 bike carriers while space
> > age frame
> > on A8 can't carry the load. That thing on truck like chassis has a 2"
> > receptacle
> > if my memory serves me right.

> Horse caca. *The Audi bike carrier is very well built, as are the two
> cross members. *Their expense is the only issue. *I have an excellent
> carrier bought for a Toyota Land Cruiser about 20 years ago. *It fits
> my wife's Lexus RX350 and does an excellent job. *It cost me about 45
> bucks way-back-when.
>
> Dave

I was referring to the frame the HITCH bolts into. This has nothing
to do with the part that plugs into the hitch.

yikes .. Listed My Bus on eBay YouKnowWho@YouKnowWhere VW air cooled 0 October 3rd 09 06:58 PM
YiKES kenmo Car Show Photos 0 February 26th 08 11:46 PM
YiKES kenmo Auto Photos 0 February 26th 08 11:46 PM
Yikes, blue hair in SUV! justen Driving 41 May 17th 06 03:23 PM