Expensive Repair in Process

Old August 9th 10, 04:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

Default Expensive Repair in Process

After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the dealer on
a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big unknown
at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is shorted.
Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the problem.
They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as expensive
as the BCM.

Dad..... any experience with BCM current draw issues?
Old August 9th 10, 05:24 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message

> After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the dealer
> on
> a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
> drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big
> unknown
> at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is
> shorted.
> Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the
> problem.
> They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as
> expensive
> as the BCM.
>
> Dad..... any experience with BCM current draw issues?

Yes, all bad. Happened to me with the '98, was only $800 but that
included the flat bed, a week rental car, and it was 10 years ago and
200 miles from home. What codes did it throw? Short was in the unit
its self. Rebuilt BCMs go for $165 and are as good as or better than
new. http://www.directautomotiveproducts.com/chrys.html Yes, I've
dealt with them with good results.

Old August 9th 10, 05:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Dad" > wrote in message

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>>
>> After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the
>> dealer on
>> a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
>> drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big
>> unknown
>> at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is
>> shorted.
>> Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the
>> problem.
>> They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as
>> expensive
>> as the BCM.
>>
>> Dad..... any experience with BCM current draw issues?

> Yes, all bad. Happened to me with the '98, was only $800 but that
> included the flat bed, a week rental car, and it was 10 years ago
> and 200 miles from home. What codes did it throw? Short was in the
> unit its self. Rebuilt BCMs go for $165 and are as good as or better
> than new. http://www.directautomotiveproducts.com/chrys.html Yes,
> I've dealt with them with good results.

I should have put this in my reply although it may not do you any good
now that it is at the dealer. Code explanations are on many sites to
determine what they mean. I use an OBDII program on my laptop since
you can't open the C6 without it, has saved me and my family plenty.

How to Pull Codes:
1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
2. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button.
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times.
(This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC.
4. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has
created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (Have a pen
and paper handy to write down the codes)

Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that
has occurred in the past, but is not reporting as an error currently.)

5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes,
press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with a
module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes."
6. To optionally reset codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET
until is displays "NO CODES."
7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM, or
Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.)
8. Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the
computer modules.

Note: Only reset the codes if you want to- it is not necessary to
reset them every time you pull the codes.

9. When finished, simply take your key out of the ignition.

Old August 9th 10, 05:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default Expensive Repair in Process - More info

.. .

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm for the C5

Old August 9th 10, 06:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Dad wrote:

> "Dad" > wrote in message
> >
> >"aRKay" > wrote in message

> > > After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the
> > > dealer on a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control
> > > Module) is drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the
> > > batteries. The big unknown at the dealership is to find and
> > > understand what circuit is shorted. Just replacing the
> > > expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the problem. They are
> > > trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as expensive as
> > > the BCM.
> > >
> > > Dad..... any experience with BCM current draw issues?

> > Yes, all bad. Happened to me with the '98, was only $800 but that
> > included the flat bed, a week rental car, and it was 10 years ago
> > and 200 miles from home. What codes did it throw? Short was in the
> > unit its self. Rebuilt BCMs go for $165 and are as good as or
> > better than new.
> > http://www.directautomotiveproducts.com/chrys.html Yes, I've dealt
> > with them with good results.

> I should have put this in my reply although it may not do you any
> good now that it is at the dealer. Code explanations are on many
> sites to determine what they mean. I use an OBDII program on my
> laptop since you can't open the C6 without it, has saved me and my
> family plenty.
>
> How to Pull Codes:
> 1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
> 2. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button.
> 3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times.
> (This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC. 4. The
> computer will automatically display all the codes your car has
> created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (Have a pen
> and paper handy to write down the codes)
>
> Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that
> has occurred in the past, but is not reporting as an error currently.)
>
> 5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes,
> press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with
> a module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes." 6. To optionally reset
> codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until is displays "NO
> CODES." 7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM, or
> Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.) 8.
> Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the computer
> modules.
>
> Note: Only reset the codes if you want to- it is not necessary to
> reset them every time you pull the codes.
>
> 9. When finished, simply take your key out of the ignition.

I am wondering if this procedure to display codes also works for
current C6 models?

Old August 9th 10, 07:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Smarty" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:

>> > Yes, all bad. Happened to me with the '98, was only $800 but that
>> > included the flat bed, a week rental car, and it was 10 years ago
>> > and 200 miles from home. What codes did it throw? Short was in
>> > the
>> > unit its self. Rebuilt BCMs go for $165 and are as good as or
>> > better than new.
>> > http://www.directautomotiveproducts.com/chrys.html Yes, I've
>> > dealt
>> > with them with good results.

>> I should have put this in my reply although it may not do you any
>> good now that it is at the dealer. Code explanations are on many
>> sites to determine what they mean. I use an OBDII program on my
>> laptop since you can't open the C6 without it, has saved me and my
>> family plenty.
>>
>> How to Pull Codes:
>> 1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
>> 2. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button.
>> 3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times.
>> (This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC. 4. The
>> computer will automatically display all the codes your car has
>> created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (Have a
>> pen
>> and paper handy to write down the codes)
>>
>> Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something
>> that
>> has occurred in the past, but is not reporting as an error
>> currently.)
>>
>> 5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes,
>> press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start
>> with
>> a module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes." 6. To optionally reset
>> codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until is displays
>> "NO
>> CODES." 7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM,
>> or
>> Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.) 8.
>> Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the
>> computer
>> modules.
>>
>> Note: Only reset the codes if you want to- it is not necessary to
>> reset them every time you pull the codes.
>>
>> 9. When finished, simply take your key out of the ignition.

> I am wondering if this procedure to display codes also works for
> current C6 models?

Nope, you need a reader or a program to read them as far as I know,
things do change though so don't just take my word for it. I invested
in a OBDII program that reads and cancels most OBDII codes except ABS.

Old August 9th 10, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Dad wrote:

> "Smarty" > wrote in message
> > Dad wrote:

> Control >>> > Module) is drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing
> the >>> > batteries. The big unknown at the dealership is to find and

> > are >>> > trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as

> expensive > > as >>> > the BCM.

> the >>> unit its self. Rebuilt BCMs go for $165 and are as good as or

> dealt >>> with them with good results.
> > > I should have put this in my reply although it may not do you any
> > > good now that it is at the dealer. Code explanations are on many
> > > sites to determine what they mean. I use an OBDII program on my
> > > laptop since you can't open the C6 without it, has saved me and my
> > > family plenty.
> > >
> > > How to Pull Codes:
> > > 1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the
> > > engine. 2. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET
> > > button. 3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL
> > > button 4 times. (This will get you into the "codes" section of
> > > the DIC. 4. The computer will automatically display all the
> > > codes your car has created. It will cycle through each code every
> > > 3 seconds. (Have a pen and paper handy to write down the codes)
> > >
> > > Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something
> > > that has occurred in the past, but is not reporting as an error
> > > currently.)
> > >
> > > 5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes,
> > > press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start
> > > with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes." 6. To optionally
> > > reset codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until is
> > > displays "NO CODES." 7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module
> > > (ie, from PCM, or Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction
> > > Control System.) 8. Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the
> > > codes in all the computer modules.
> > >
> > > Note: Only reset the codes if you want to- it is not necessary to
> > > reset them every time you pull the codes.
> > >
> > > 9. When finished, simply take your key out of the ignition.

> > I am wondering if this procedure to display codes also works for
> > current C6 models?
> >

> Nope, you need a reader or a program to read them as far as I know,
> things do change though so don't just take my word for it. I invested
> in a OBDII program that reads and cancels most OBDII codes except ABS.

Thanks!

Old August 9th 10, 08:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
> >
> > After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the dealer
> > on
> > a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
> > drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big
> > unknown
> > at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is
> > shorted.
> > Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the
> > problem.
> > They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as
> > expensive
> > as the BCM.
> >
> > Dad..... any experience with BCM current draw issues?

> Yes, all bad. Happened to me with the '98, was only $800 but that
> included the flat bed, a week rental car, and it was 10 years ago and
> 200 miles from home. What codes did it throw? Short was in the unit
> its self. Rebuilt BCMs go for $165 and are as good as or better than
> new. http://www.directautomotiveproducts.com/chrys.html Yes, I've
> dealt with them with good results.

Dad,

I went to the web page listed and they talk about ECU's

Is that the same thing?

aRKay
Old August 9th 10, 09:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
> >
> > After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the dealer
> > on
> > a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
> > drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big
> > unknown
> > at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is
> > shorted.
> > Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the
> > problem.
> > They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as
> > expensive
> > as the BCM.
> >
> > Dad..... any experience with BCM current draw issues?

> Yes, all bad. Happened to me with the '98, was only $800 but that
> included the flat bed, a week rental car, and it was 10 years ago and
> 200 miles from home. What codes did it throw? Short was in the unit
> its self. Rebuilt BCMs go for $165 and are as good as or better than
> new. http://www.directautomotiveproducts.com/chrys.html Yes, I've
> dealt with them with good results.

I called and the guy was very helpful. Yes they do BCM's and the price
you mentioned is correct. Interesting they have to repair your module
because so the security code does not have to be re-flashed. As I
described the problem the guy did not think it was BCM issue. Like
the dealership he suspects a short somewhere on the hot side of the
BCM.

I am stuck since the car is at the dealership and customers cannot talk
to techs. I have to deal with the service writer who relays what the
techs tell him. Catch-22!

Stay tuned for the outcome
Old August 9th 10, 09:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dad" > wrote:
>
>> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the dealer
>> > on
>> > a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
>> > drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big
>> > unknown
>> > at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is
>> > shorted.
>> > Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the
>> > problem.
>> > They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as
>> > expensive
>> > as the BCM.
>> >
>> > Dad..... any experience with BCM current draw issues?

>> Yes, all bad. Happened to me with the '98, was only $800 but that
>> included the flat bed, a week rental car, and it was 10 years ago and
>> 200 miles from home. What codes did it throw? Short was in the unit
>> its self. Rebuilt BCMs go for $165 and are as good as or better than
>> new. http://www.directautomotiveproducts.com/chrys.html Yes, I've
>> dealt with them with good results.

> I called and the guy was very helpful. Yes they do BCM's and the price
> you mentioned is correct. Interesting they have to repair your module
> because so the security code does not have to be re-flashed. As I
> described the problem the guy did not think it was BCM issue. Like
> the dealership he suspects a short somewhere on the hot side of the
> BCM.
>
> I am stuck since the car is at the dealership and customers cannot talk
> to techs. I have to deal with the service writer who relays what the
> techs tell him. Catch-22!
>
> Stay tuned for the outcome

You can't talk to the tech??? WTF!!!

I'd have a truck there in a heartbeat to yank it out of there.