Corvette Flyby at 198 mph ; skillful driver or completely nuts ?You decide.

Old December 21st 09, 01:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

Default Corvette Flyby at 198 mph ; skillful driver or completely nuts ? You decide.

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:09:07 -0500, "tww1491" > wrote:
>
> ... My girl friend beside me was struck speechless.
>>

> Speechless? That's what it takes?
>
> Man, so many wasted years......... I just didn't know
>
> brian

I guess I ought to tell about the one when I took a turtle up the right side
of my 71 454 Vette running ahead of friend in his 427 Vette circa 1971 on
the way to Uvalde to pick up some Coors. Girl friend was asleep and the
speed around 100. Got a scream this time. Ah memories.

Old December 21st 09, 03:39 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Dec 20, 1:09*pm, "tww1491" > wrote:

> The unexpected can always get you -- like the driver on an interstate on a
> dark night without lights. *I almost bought it in the mid 60s driving a 64 E
> Jag at around a 100 on what I though was a deserted highway outside of
> Laredo TX -- one old truck -- no lights right in front of me. Had I been in
> anything but the E with Goodyear blue streak tires -- I would have lost it
> completely trying to avoid the guy. My girl friend beside me was struck
> speechless.

Great story! That E-type was incredible. When I was in the Navy a
fellow officer had one and we went out carousing. After women and
drinks we headed back. He seemed to drive faster when he was bombed.
Scared the hell out of me - I think! His was a light blue 65 or 66 -
convertible. His family was quite wealthy. We were having a party at
the executive officer's home and my friend came in his Jag - his ex-
wife showed up later and they had a fight. Then they got in their
cars and crashed into each other in the street until his Jag would go
no more. It was an unforgettable sight!

I got out of the Navy and wanted one just like it, but they were about
$6500 as I recall. I instead bought a 67 Corvette (about $4700)
Elkhart Blue (light blue) convertible with two tops. One day I came
over a hill and there was a line of cars stopped at a light. I braked
pretty hard and stopped. In my rear view mirror I saw a full size
Ford bearing down on me, pulled into the breakdown lane and floored
it. The Ford crashed into the three cars that WERE ahead of me. I
would have been toast!
Old December 22nd 09, 01:34 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Blue C5" > wrote in message
On Dec 20, 1:09 pm, "tww1491" > wrote:

> The unexpected can always get you -- like the driver on an interstate on a
> dark night without lights. I almost bought it in the mid 60s driving a 64
> Jag at around a 100 on what I though was a deserted highway outside of
> Laredo TX -- one old truck -- no lights right in front of me. Had I been
> in
> anything but the E with Goodyear blue streak tires -- I would have lost it
> completely trying to avoid the guy. My girl friend beside me was struck
> speechless.

Great story! That E-type was incredible. When I was in the Navy a
fellow officer had one and we went out carousing. After women and
drinks we headed back. He seemed to drive faster when he was bombed.
Scared the hell out of me - I think! His was a light blue 65 or 66 -
convertible. His family was quite wealthy. We were having a party at
the executive officer's home and my friend came in his Jag - his ex-
wife showed up later and they had a fight. Then they got in their
cars and crashed into each other in the street until his Jag would go
no more. It was an unforgettable sight!

I got out of the Navy and wanted one just like it, but they were about
$6500 as I recall. I instead bought a 67 Corvette (about $4700)
Elkhart Blue (light blue) convertible with two tops. One day I came
over a hill and there was a line of cars stopped at a light. I braked
pretty hard and stopped. In my rear view mirror I saw a full size
Ford bearing down on me, pulled into the breakdown lane and floored
it. The Ford crashed into the three cars that WERE ahead of me. I
would have been toast!

I was Air Force.. Went through my Corvette phase with a 69 and then a 71.

YOU DECIDE DD Adkins Corvette 8 July 7th 07 10:12 PM
When do you decide to get rid of your VW? none2u VW water cooled 5 June 2nd 06 05:03 PM
When do you decide to get rid of your VW? johnin VW water cooled 0 May 31st 06 11:27 PM
The Ultimate "Ricer Flyby" Michael Driving 8 March 7th 05 09:33 PM
Help with trying to decide on an SUV deborah 4x4 20 March 9th 04 04:51 AM