Corvette Flyby at 198 mph ; skillful driver or completely nuts ?You decide.

Old December 15th 09, 06:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default Corvette Flyby at 198 mph ; skillful driver or completely nuts ? You decide.

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "tww1491" > wrote in message news:FkBVm.91282

Snip
> I'm in the middle of replacing *everything* under the car now with
> new and
> poly etc etc .
> I don't know if I'll have the grapes to do untra high speed tests
> anymore -
> or risk the tickets at todays prices. But it was getting pretty
> flakey the
> last few years at any kind of speed.
>
> -W

Talk with some of your speed freaks in your area and find out what
they would suggest for lube on your new poly bushings. They squeak
like crazy if not installed properly in a very short time. That was
some time back when they may have been made differently. Myself I
would stay with rubber, they'll out live you any way if the last ones
lasted 41 years.

Old December 15th 09, 06:35 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message

> "Dad" > wrote in message
>
>> Interesting, the spec's for that era corvette only shows the top
>> speed
>> of the L71 at 142 in 1968 and the 1971 LS6 (a $1221 option on a
>> $5500
>> car) just getting to 150. What did you guys do to them to get that
>> kind of speed?

> You can put the sarcasm stick away. I made it clear in my post that
> I knew
> that the tire profile accounted for some percentage of error at the
> speedo.
> R.I.F.
>
> -W

Must have been 13" wheels.............. ;-))

Old December 15th 09, 07:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "tww1491" > wrote in message news:g3hVm.91046
>
>> Incredible. But, given that some motorcycles off the showroom
>> floor will
>> hit 170 or so, I suppose it makes some sort of sense. And, I used

> think
>> 145 or so in my 71 454 was really something back in the 70s,.

> Back in '79 I once (and *only* once) put my 68 vert (350 small block
> in it)

By the way, a 1968 Corvette small block is a 327, so you updated it
sometime prior to '79?

Old December 15th 09, 11:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Dad" > wrote in message

> By the way, a 1968 Corvette small block is a 327, so you updated it
> sometime prior to '79?

When I got it the 327/350hp was gone - and it had a 350 with the same lift
cam and the condiments from the 327/350 bolted on.

I blew that one in the mid 80's and took an unknown small block out of a
junk Chevelle and thew it in "temporarily".... it's still in there.

-W

Old December 17th 09, 01:21 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Speaker of the Truth[_3_]

How is this for a fast pass? 100MPH at least faster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrDWY...rom=PL&index=9

Old December 17th 09, 05:14 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "Dad" > wrote in message
>
>> By the way, a 1968 Corvette small block is a 327, so you updated it
>> sometime prior to '79?

> When I got it the 327/350hp was gone - and it had a 350 with the
> same lift
> cam and the condiments from the 327/350 bolted on.
>
> I blew that one in the mid 80's and took an unknown small block out
> of a
> junk Chevelle and thew it in "temporarily".... it's still in there.
>

> -W

This would be the flyby to witness. I think that's the new C7 Corvette
design cloaked, with the mid engine, and the cockpit operated open
exhaust on the top this time. Most likely doing the build in the UK to
keep it a secret as long as possible.

http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/24-11-09_1

If you go to watch don't wear any loose fitting clothes.

Old December 19th 09, 02:55 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Dec 13, 10:09*am, " >
wrote:

Skillful driver or completely nuts. I would vote for nuts. If one of
those cars in the right lane checked their rear view mirror, did not
estimate the Corvette's speed, and pulled out, the Corvette would be
toast.

I was teaching my son to drive and was explaining relative speed as we
were going 10 MPH on an interstate. I explained that you should go no
more than 20 in the fast lane when cars are slowed down for one reason
or another. Right after I said that, an RV pulled out and a Honda
Accord doing fifty caught him right in the side, bounced off the guard
rail and stopped about 20 feet from us. "See what happens?" I said.
Better than a video in a class room.

Update. Son so far has been an excellent driver. During his
training, I challenged him with tasks while he is driving like "turn
on the lights," change the radio station," "put on the wipers," etc.
while changing lanes or doing some other maneuver. He learned to keep
his eyes on the road and to feel for the controls. His mother wanted
to ride along on his final exam where he was given these tasks while
merging in on the "mixing bowl" (the intersection of I95 and I495 in
Wash, DC. His mother really added to the challenge with her outbursts
as this was going on. He did fine.

Old December 19th 09, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"Blue C5" > wrote in message
On Dec 13, 10:09 am, " >
wrote:

[...]

The mixing bowl was a bitch. Nice that it was finally fixed. I was tired of
going over the Nice bridge to avoid it every time I went through the area.

Old December 20th 09, 07:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Blue C5" > wrote in message
On Dec 13, 10:09 am, " >
wrote:

[...]

The unexpected can always get you -- like the driver on an interstate on a
dark night without lights. I almost bought it in the mid 60s driving a 64 E
Jag at around a 100 on what I though was a deserted highway outside of
Laredo TX -- one old truck -- no lights right in front of me. Had I been in
anything but the E with Goodyear blue streak tires -- I would have lost it
completely trying to avoid the guy. My girl friend beside me was struck
speechless.

Old December 20th 09, 07:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:09:07 -0500, "tww1491" > wrote:

.... My girl friend beside me was struck speechless.

Speechless? That's what it takes?

Man, so many wasted years......... I just didn't know

brian

YOU DECIDE DD Adkins Corvette 8 July 7th 07 10:12 PM
When do you decide to get rid of your VW? none2u VW water cooled 5 June 2nd 06 05:03 PM
When do you decide to get rid of your VW? johnin VW water cooled 0 May 31st 06 11:27 PM
The Ultimate "Ricer Flyby" Michael Driving 8 March 7th 05 09:33 PM
Help with trying to decide on an SUV deborah 4x4 20 March 9th 04 04:51 AM