stupid rear brake drum

Old April 25th 05, 04:46 AM
disallow

Default stupid rear brake drum

Hey all

98 civic lx canadian, Manual trannie, 220000kms

my stupid rear passenger brake is draggin. About
a year ago, while it was friggin freezing out,
i noticed that my e-brake was not disengaging
properly. I disconnected it inside the car
(easy enough) and left the driver side connected
so that I still have functionality (albeit not
much) left for when I park my car. I do not leave it in gear, as I have a
remote starter.

Anyone have any ideas on whether this prob can
be repaired, or if I have to replace the entire
cable for that side of the e-brake?

Old April 25th 05, 05:53 AM
motsco_ _

disallow wrote:
> Hey all
>
> 98 civic lx canadian, Manual trannie, 220000kms
>
> my stupid rear passenger brake is draggin. About
> a year ago, while it was friggin freezing out,
> i noticed that my e-brake was not disengaging
> properly. I disconnected it inside the car
> (easy enough) and left the driver side connected
> so that I still have functionality (albeit not
> much) left for when I park my car. I do not leave it in gear, as I have a
> remote starter.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on whether this prob can
> be repaired, or if I have to replace the entire
> cable for that side of the e-brake?

-------------------------

You'll need a torque driver to get the phillips screws out to take a
look . . It's very basic drum brakes inside. Pick up a Chilton's at the
dealer, or better yet, there's some great stuff and links at TeGGer's
FAQ about rusted brakes.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

'Cruly'

Old April 25th 05, 08:36 AM
halo2 guy

Also you shouldn't really be using your parking break when it is freezing
because sometimes it will just freeze in the on position and cause you lots
of problems.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 25th 05, 02:35 PM
TeGGeR®

"motsco_ _" <"motsco_ > wrote in
:

> You'll need a torque driver to get the phillips screws out to take a
> look . . It's very basic drum brakes inside. Pick up a Chilton's at
> the dealer, or better yet, there's some great stuff and links at
> TeGGer's FAQ about rusted brakes.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

I haven't covered drums yet, though.

A Chiltons/Haynes (normally crappy manuals) are good for basic stuff like
drum brakes.

Also useful for beginners is this site:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake.htm

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 25th 05, 02:41 PM
TeGGeR®

"disallow" <loewen_t at yahoo.ca @> wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> Hey all
>
> 98 civic lx canadian, Manual trannie, 220000kms
>
> my stupid rear passenger brake is draggin. About
> a year ago, while it was friggin freezing out,
> i noticed that my e-brake was not disengaging
> properly.

Probably the cable was frozen inside its sheath. If you reconnect it now,
you'll probably find it's working fine now.

> I disconnected it inside the car
> (easy enough) and left the driver side connected
> so that I still have functionality (albeit not
> much) left for when I park my car. I do not leave it in gear, as I
> have a remote starter.

Not a great idea at all...

> Anyone have any ideas on whether this prob can
> be repaired, or if I have to replace the entire
> cable for that side of the e-brake?

Sounds like you need to replace the parking brake cable, which is an easy
job. Best to do both at the same time, as if one is bad, the other won't be
far behind.

You can check this by jacking up the rear of the car, removing both drums,
disconnecting the cables from the mechanism (usually means complete
disassembly), and then push/pull the cables to see if they both slide
freely. Check any and all rubber bellows for splitting, which is how the
water gets inside.

Cables can suffer from rust, ingress of water, and binding due to impact
and jacking damage. Drums brakes themselves are usually pretty reliable,
because the mechanism is shielded from the weather.

Old April 25th 05, 09:02 PM
TeGGeR®

"halo2 guy" > wrote in
:

> Also you shouldn't really be using your parking break when it is
> freezing because sometimes it will just freeze in the on position and
> cause you lots of problems.

Only true if the rubber sealing bellows are broken.

Old April 26th 05, 04:22 AM
disallow

Thanks for the detailed response, Tegger. My replies are embedded in your
message below:

> Probably the cable was frozen inside its sheath. If you reconnect it

now,
> you'll probably find it's working fine now.

Actually, I did that, and that is why I am having
problems now. Very frustrating, but I did this
based on the same logic as above. Guess it
must be physical damage to the sheath or its
rusted inside. Is there a spring in there?

> > I disconnected it inside the car
> > (easy enough) and left the driver side connected
> > so that I still have functionality (albeit not
> > much) left for when I park my car. I do not leave it in gear, as I
> > have a remote starter.

> Not a great idea at all...

What's not a great idea? Having a remote starter?
(waste of gas in my car, since at idle it really
doesn't warm up much. but i have it, and use it,
gives about 20 seconds of running time before
I take off since I normally start it while walking
up to the car. ya ya, i know people don't think you
need to idle before driving, I just do it... Its built into my car
alarm...)

Or disconnecting the e-brake is a bad idea? Well,
fortunately I live in Winnipeg. I can practically
see the CN tower from here, so yes, I would agree
that if I lived in BC or Alberta, this would be
an incredibly terrible idea, but here in Manitoba
where you can watch your dog run away for 3 days,
not as big of a concern. And it does catch enough
to prevent rolling on even some fairly steep grades like driveways and
stuff.

I do however plan on tackling this problem this
summer, while I do my rear brake shoes. They've
never been done, 220000kms on em. I guess they
are glazed, cuz they've been at about 2 millimeters
for like the last 100000kms. lol....

> Sounds like you need to replace the parking brake cable, which is an

easy
> job. Best to do both at the same time, as if one is bad, the other

won't
> be
> far behind.

I suppose it makes sense to do both. They would
probably end up being different lengths if I only
did one, since the old one would be stretched
some.

Another question, since I will be doing the shoes
at the same time, is there a kit from Honda
available with all the springs and related
hardware? Probably time to think about
replacing all that crap too.

Maybe resurface the drums too.... is that worth
it?

I should probably put this in another topic,
but here goes anyways: A couple years ago I went
to a non-Honda shop to get my brakes inspected.
My uncle worked there so I figured he could get
me a deal. Well anyways, they adjusted my brakes
somehow so that it changed the ratio of front
to back application, ie before I went in, the
ratio was probably 80:20 front brake power to
rear brake power. My pedal went down pretty far,
and I think it was probably a little too extreme.

The shop adjusted the brakes so that it was
more like 50:50 or 60:40 front to back. I felt
this was a little extreme. He also adjusted the
e-brake at the time to like 1-2 clicks (which is
easy to change, but I thought I would mention).

Anyways, is there an easy way to adjust this? Is
it an adjustment in the drum somewhere?

So when you gonna get the drum FAQ goin?

Thanks a heap.

Terry

Old April 26th 05, 04:36 AM
disallow

hafto use the park brake, otherwise my command
start won't work. its c-c-c-cold here in winter....

Old April 26th 05, 04:42 AM

MAKE FAST MONEY WITH PAYPAL - ONLY NEED $5
Subject: Make Money Fast Using Paypal Author: Joe Date: 11/20/2004
7:29:50 PM MAKE UNLIMITED MONEY USING PAYPAL!!! You only need $3.00.
Can you really make money so easily? YES... it is logical how you can
earn money through paypal. I found articles with OPRAH WINFREY and an
article published in the Wall Street Journal on 6/16/2001 that explains

how it works. As a member of PayPal, I had already experienced their
efficiency and excellent standing. PayPal is the simplest method of
making and receiving payments online anyone has ever seen! Anyone with
an email address can join, for FREE! You can complete this whole
process in less than one hour. Everything is done on the Internet by
E-mail. It is NOT considered SPAM, so it's perfectly legal! Anyway, it
said that you send money though paypal to each of the emails stated in
the article. You then place your own email address in the bottom of the

list at #6, and post the article in at least 200 newsgroups. (There are

thousands it really isn't hard..try it this is where people usually
stop and miss out) No catch, that was it. It follows the same
regulations as the mailed chain letters, which according to the U.S.
Post Office (1-800- 725- 2161) is indeed legal! Then I invested the
measly $5.00. Well GUESS WHAT!!?. Within 7 days, I started getting
money in my PayPal account! I was shocked! I figured it would end soon,

but the money just kept coming in. In my first week, I made about
$20.00. By the end second week I had made a total over $1,200.00! In
the third week I had over $10,000.00 and it's still growing. This is
now my fourth week and I have made a total of just over $36,000.00 and
it's still coming in rapidly. Its Certainly worth $5.00., I have spent
more than that on the lottery!! : Let me tell you how this works and
most importantly, why it works? REQUIREMENTS: You must have a verified
PayPal account. If you do not have an account you can go to
www.paypal.com and follow the instructions to set up a free account. In

order to place the initial $6 into your account, you will have to
verify your bank account with PayPal (which may take a few days). Or if

you want to start right away, use your credit or debit card to make the

$6 deposit to Paypal. Paypal guarantees your security when using
personal information. They do not release your information to third
parties. Very, very, very, secure! Paypal is 100% secure and is used my

millions of people world wide. STEP 1: Send, though PayPal, $1.00 to
each email on the below list. Make the subject of the payment "Email
List" and in the comments, write "PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR EMAIL LIST."
What you are doing is creating a service by this and best of all you
are not giving your address to anyone you do not know. THIS IS
ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! The E-mail list:
#3) #4 )
#5)
. #6) STEP 2: Now take the
#1 email off the list that
you see above, move the other addresses up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4,
etc?.) and add YOUR email address (the one used on the paypal account)
as number 6 on the list. STEP 3: Change anything you need to, but try
to keep this article as close to original as possible. Now, post your
amended article to at least 200 newsgroups, message board. (I think
there are close to 32,000 groups) All you need is 200, but remember,
the more you post, the more money you make - as well as everyone else
on the list! ---- DIRECTIONS----HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS, MESSAGE
BOARD---------- Step 1) You do not need to re- type this entire letter
to do your own posting. Simply put your cursor at the beginning of this

letter and drag your : Cursor to the bottom of this document, and
select 'copy' from the edit menu. This will copy the entire letter into

the computer memory. Step 2) Open a blank 'notepad' file and place your

cursor at the top of the blank page. From the 'edit' menu select
'paste'. This will paste a copy of the letter into notepad so that you
can add your name to the list. Step 3) save your new notepad file as a
..txt file. If you want to do your postings in different sittings,
you'll always have this file to go back to. : Step 4) Use Netscape or
Internet explorer and try searching for various newsgroups (on-line
forums, message boards, chat sites, discussions.) Just example you log
on any search engine like yahoo.com, google.com, altavista.com,
excite.com then you search with this subject ? millionaire message
board? or ? money making message board? or ? employment message board?
or ? money making discussions? or ? money making forum? or ?business
message board? etc. You will find thousand & thousand message board.
Click one by one then you will find the option post a new message. :
Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this article as a new
message by highlighting the text of this letter and selecting paste
from the edit menu. Fill in the Subject, this will be the header that
everyone sees as they scroll through the list of postings in a
particular group, click the post message button. You're done with your
first one! Be Honest and it will truely work for you:
Congrats!
REMEMBER, THE MORE NEWGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL
MAKE!! BUT YOU HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 200!That is it You will begin
receiving money in your account from around the world within days! JUST

MAKE SURE ALL THE ADDRESSES ARE CORRECT. Now the WHY part out of 200
postings: Say I receive only 5 replies (a very low example). So then I
made $5.00 with my name at #6 on the letter. Each of the 5 persons who
just sent me $5.00 make the MINIMUM 200 postings, each with my name at
# 5 and only 5 persons respond to each of the original 5, this is an
additional $25.00 for me. Now those 24 each make 200 minimum posts with

my name at #4 and only 5 replies each. This brings in an additional
$125.00. Those 125 persons turn around and post the MINIMUM 200 with my

name at #3 and receive 5 replies each, I will make an additional
$625.00. Ok, now here is the FUN part, each of those 625 people post a
MINIMUM of 200 letters with my name at #2 and they receive 5 replies
each. That just made me $3,125.00!!! Those 3125 persons will all
deliver this message to 200 newsgroups with my name at #1 and if still
5 persons per 200 react, I will receive an additional $15,625.00!! With

an investment of only $5.00!! A - M - A - Z - I - N - G - !! When your
name is no longer on the list, you just take the latest posting in the
newsgroups, and send out another $6.00 to Email Addresses using Paypal
on the list, putting your name at number 6 again. And start posting
again. The thing to remember is that thousands of people all over the
world are joining the Internet and reading these articles everyday.
JUST LIKE YOU ARE NOW!! So, can you afford $5.00 to see if it really
works?? I think so! People have said, "what if the plan is played out
and no one sends you the money? So what! What are the chances of that
happening when there are tons of new honest users and new honest people

who are joining the internet & newsgroups everyday and are willing to
give it a try?? Anyway, it is only $5.00 for a chance at thousands.
Estimates are at 20,000 to 50,000 new users, every day, with thousands
of those joining the actual Internet. Remember, play FAIRLY and
HONESTLY and this will really work. There's no use trying to cheat for
only $5.00 *** Pls. use only opt-in resources for this material it will

work for you and it works much faster without soliciting or spamming
and higher responses*** !!! With warm wishes, bless you and your loved
onES

Old April 26th 05, 05:41 AM
TeGGeR®

"disallow" <loewen_t at yahoo.ca @> wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> Thanks for the detailed response, Tegger. My replies are embedded in
> your message below:
>

>> Probably the cable was frozen inside its sheath. If you reconnect it

> now,
>> you'll probably find it's working fine now.

> Actually, I did that, and that is why I am having
> problems now. Very frustrating, but I did this
> based on the same logic as above. Guess it
> must be physical damage to the sheath or its
> rusted inside. Is there a spring in there?

It can rust inside if enough water gets in for long enough. Probably what's
happended to you now.

>> > I disconnected it inside the car
>> > (easy enough) and left the driver side connected
>> > so that I still have functionality (albeit not
>> > much) left for when I park my car. I do not leave it in gear, as I
>> > have a remote starter.

>> Not a great idea at all...
>>

> What's not a great idea?

<snip>

> Or disconnecting the e-brake is a bad idea?

Yeah. You're letting it sit in neutral, no parking brake. Somebody bumps
your car and it will roll into...?

> Well,
> fortunately I live in Winnipeg. I can practically
> see the CN tower from here,

I know, I've been to Winterpeg. Flat like a damn table. Cars disappear in
the distance haze before they ever even come close to disappearing over the
horizon.

> so yes, I would agree
> that if I lived in BC or Alberta, this would be
> an incredibly terrible idea, but here in Manitoba
> where you can watch your dog run away for 3 days,

Not at Riding Mountain National Park! That's the pimple on Manitoba's face.

<more snippage>

> The shop adjusted the brakes so that it was
> more like 50:50 or 60:40 front to back. I felt
> this was a little extreme. He also adjusted the
> e-brake at the time to like 1-2 clicks (which is
> easy to change, but I thought I would mention).
>
> Anyways, is there an easy way to adjust this? Is
> it an adjustment in the drum somewhere?

The adjustment is inside the drum. The parking brake cable is given final
adjustement AFTER the shoes are bedded in. There is only ONE correct way to
adjust them, and proper feel is very much dependent on lots of factors, not
just shoe adjustment.

The number of clicks of the parking brake needs to be just enough that when
the handle is released, the brakes don't drag. 1-2 clicks doesn't sound
like enough. Usually it's 4 or 5.

I forget just now if Honda adjusts drums with the parking brake or by
stepping on the brakes while backing up. Either way, it would be obvious by
pulling the drum off.

> So when you gonna get the drum FAQ goin?

Soon...

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Rear trailing arm - parking brake cable question TeGGer® Honda 8 April 13th 05 05:49 AM
Rear Brake Disks M C BMW 3 March 1st 05 12:02 PM
Drum Brake "Wunka-Wunka" Elle Navorski Honda 9 February 12th 05 06:15 AM