12-Disc CD Player Jammed?

Old July 10th 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

Default 12-Disc CD Player Jammed?

My 2001 6-Speed Coupe has a factor 12-Disc CD player that was working
perfect this morning (playing Darude) and it stopped at the end of the
disc and now will not play any of the CD's. I messed with all dash
controls and cannot seem to wake it up. Went to he rear and opened the
box. It made some noise like it always did but will NOT eject the
12-disc carrier.

Anyone know of tricks to get the remote unit to barf out the carrier?

aRKay
Old July 10th 07, 04:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ck

if needs repair check with www.unitedradio.com

Old July 11th 07, 09:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

In article >,
"ck" > wrote:

> if needs repair check with www.unitedradio.com
>
> "aRKay" > wrote in message
> > My 2001 6-Speed Coupe has a factor 12-Disc CD player that was working
> > perfect this morning (playing Darude) and it stopped at the end of the
> > disc and now will not play any of the CD's. I messed with all dash
> > controls and cannot seem to wake it up. Went to he rear and opened the
> > box. It made some noise like it always did but will NOT eject the
> > 12-disc carrier.
> >
> > Anyone know of tricks to get the remote unit to barf out the carrier?
> >
> > aRKay

Thanks for the tip!!!!

I called United Radio at 800-634-8606 and got hold of their lead CD
Player repair technician. He has seen the same problem several times.
He gave me a tip that may bring it back to life and if that did not work
he let me know about their $175 flat rate repair or exchange program for
GM Delco CD player that comes with a warranty.

The tip from the United Radio tech was to remove the power so the unit
can reset. GM keeps power on the unit at all time even with the key OFF.
The power connector is under the unit so it had to be removed. In the 90
degree heat I removed the unit with intentions of sending it to United
Radio for the flat rate exchange. Removal was not easy as three of the
mounting screws were hard to reach. Finally got it out and for grins I
pulled the connector and let it sit for five minutes then reconnected.
It started making shuffling noises and when they settled I opened the
door and the 12-disc carrier ejected. I reinserted the carrier, got in
the car and Darude's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSYxT9GM0fQ
Sandstorm came alive. It lives!!!

Just reinstalled the unit and everything is back to normal. Sometimes it
pays to take things apart. The bottom line is the power removal tip did
the reset. No wonder these high tech cars eat batteries.
Old July 11th 07, 03:12 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

In article
aRKay > wrote:

> In article >,
> "ck" > wrote:
>
> > if needs repair check with www.unitedradio.com
> >
> > "aRKay" > wrote in message
> > > My 2001 6-Speed Coupe has a factor 12-Disc CD player that was working
> > > perfect this morning (playing Darude) and it stopped at the end of the
> > > disc and now will not play any of the CD's. I messed with all dash
> > > controls and cannot seem to wake it up. Went to he rear and opened the
> > > box. It made some noise like it always did but will NOT eject the
> > > 12-disc carrier.
> > >
> > > Anyone know of tricks to get the remote unit to barf out the carrier?
> > >
> > > aRKay

> Thanks for the tip!!!!
>
> I called United Radio at 800-634-8606 and got hold of their lead CD
> Player repair technician. He has seen the same problem several times.
> He gave me a tip that may bring it back to life and if that did not work
> he let me know about their $175 flat rate repair or exchange program for
> GM Delco CD player that comes with a warranty.
>
> The tip from the United Radio tech was to remove the power so the unit
> can reset. GM keeps power on the unit at all time even with the key OFF.
> The power connector is under the unit so it had to be removed. In the 90
> degree heat I removed the unit with intentions of sending it to United
> Radio for the flat rate exchange. Removal was not easy as three of the
> mounting screws were hard to reach. Finally got it out and for grins I
> pulled the connector and let it sit for five minutes then reconnected.
> It started making shuffling noises and when they settled I opened the
> door and the 12-disc carrier ejected. I reinserted the carrier, got in
> the car and Darude's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSYxT9GM0fQ
> Sandstorm came alive. It lives!!!
>
> Just reinstalled the unit and everything is back to normal. Sometimes it
> pays to take things apart. The bottom line is the power removal tip did
> the reset. No wonder these high tech cars eat batteries.

If you have a Delco 12-Disc CD player, I suggest you save this message.
It is just a matter of time until you will need it or you can pay the
dealer $500+. Your choice.
Old July 11th 07, 03:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
Snip
>> Just reinstalled the unit and everything is back to normal.
>> Sometimes it
>> pays to take things apart. The bottom line is the power removal
>> tip did
>> the reset. No wonder these high tech cars eat batteries.

> If you have a Delco 12-Disc CD player, I suggest you save this
> message.
> It is just a matter of time until you will need it or you can pay
> the
> dealer $500+. Your choice.

Great tip from United and glad to have you post your results. Many
tend to ask the question but never post the results/cure for the
problem. But I need to ask why is it just a matter of time before this
stated information is needed?

Old July 11th 07, 04:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
> Snip
> >> Just reinstalled the unit and everything is back to normal.
> >> Sometimes it
> >> pays to take things apart. The bottom line is the power removal
> >> tip did
> >> the reset. No wonder these high tech cars eat batteries.

> > If you have a Delco 12-Disc CD player, I suggest you save this
> > message.
> > It is just a matter of time until you will need it or you can pay
> > the
> > dealer $500+. Your choice.

> Great tip from United and glad to have you post your results. Many
> tend to ask the question but never post the results/cure for the
> problem. But I need to ask why is it just a matter of time before this
> stated information is needed?

Because of my experience with Delco products. The dumb-ass AGM battery
is a classic example. The best change I have made to my C5 was to get
rid of the AGM battery. I really like my C5 but just about everything
that can be replaced has been replaced. I will not bore you with the
listing.

CD players have lots of moving parts and have to live in a pretty bad
environment. If something can go wrong or wear out a electro-mechanical
device like a CD player has to be high on the list of parts that can
fail.
Old July 11th 07, 04:55 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dad" > wrote:
>
>> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>> Snip
>> >
>> > If you have a Delco 12-Disc CD player, I suggest you save this
>> > message.
>> > It is just a matter of time until you will need it or you can pay
>> > the
>> > dealer $500+. Your choice.

>> Great tip from United and glad to have you post your results. Many
>> tend to ask the question but never post the results/cure for the
>> problem. But I need to ask why is it just a matter of time before
>> this
>> stated information is needed?

> Because of my experience with Delco products. The dumb-ass AGM
> battery
> is a classic example. The best change I have made to my C5 was to
> get
> rid of the AGM battery. I really like my C5 but just about
> everything
> that can be replaced has been replaced. I will not bore you with
> the
> listing.
>
> CD players have lots of moving parts and have to live in a pretty
> bad
> environment. If something can go wrong or wear out a
> electro-mechanical
> device like a CD player has to be high on the list of parts that can
> fail.

It might really be interesting to see that list of expenses, here's
mine for the C5's and C6 listed as highest cost first.
1998 C5 46k
gas
tires
BCM - not fun
oil
battery
2004 C5 20k
gas
tires
oil - free
axle seal (RR)
2005 C6 26k
gas
battery
oil - free
tires
hood strut
gas cap
rear hatch switch

Actual out of warranty cost was for tires, a battery, and the BCM.
GM/dealer did replace one set of run flats that cupped badly. Cost of
Corsa's not included.

Old July 12th 07, 01:10 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

Default C5 Items Requiring Replacement

In article >,
"Dad" > wrote:

> It might really be interesting to see that list of expenses, here's
> mine for the C5's and C6 listed as highest cost first.
> 1998 C5 46k
> gas
> tires
> BCM - not fun
> oil
> battery
> 2004 C5 20k
> gas
> tires
> oil - free
> axle seal (RR)
> 2005 C6 26k
> gas
> battery
> oil - free
> tires
> hood strut
> gas cap
> rear hatch switch
>
> Actual out of warranty cost was for tires, a battery, and the BCM.
> GM/dealer did replace one set of run flats that cupped badly. Cost of
> Corsa's not included.

My 2001 6-Speed Coupe:

- Right headlight motor replaced (grinding)

- Two Delco AGM batteries replace by dealer. One failed at the airport
drop off area and the police towed it to dealer. No warning it just
crapped out.

- Two alternators replaced as they could not charge the AGM battery.

- At 11K miles Engine using way too much oil (1 quart ever 500 miles)
and was in the queue for a ring replacement when I got in a 10-inch in
five minute rain storm and hydro locked the engine. The insurance
company replaced the whole engine with a new ($14K) 2002 engine that
came with the factory ring fix. Never use any oil with the new engine.

- Radio display failed and was replaced by the dealer

- Drive door speaker replaced (rattling and static)

- Emergency Flasher failed causing turn signal problems

- Rocking driver seat repaired

- Left headlight motor replaced (grinding)

- Numerous Pull Key and Wait ten minute error messages. Turned out to be
a bad key that was replaced and solved the problem

- Trashed the Delco AGM when it died and replaced it with Wall Mart
Everlast. No problems at all with the Everlast

- Daytime Running Light (Lamps) had to replace more than once and it
was not easy/

- AC compressor and belt pulley.

- Left headlight motor replaced (grinding) again 2nd time

- Key fob quit and was replaced.

- Passenger side AC temp control replaced- it never really worked

- Had to have the passenger seat repaired due to cracks

- Two wheel pressure sensors failed and required replacement

- The dumb column lock did its thing in my garage and the wrecker
service refused to tow the vehicle. The dealer's guy had to come to my
home to unlock and replace the motor. Two weeks before it was in for
the lame GM recall the only reprogrammed the computer to shut off the
fuel flow.

- Passenger side power window motor failed and had to be replaced

- Tires but they were replaced due to normal wear

- Windshield wiper blades (several times)

- Numerous Service Anti Lock Brakes and Active Handling errors. All the
dealer ever did was to reset the codes. The never really fixed the
problem. When I get the warning now I reset the codes.

- The hand brake never really worked and needs to be replaced to pass
the next state safety inspection.

- CD Disc carrier stuck in the 12-Disc CD player. Fixed by pulling the
power to reset.

This is all I can think of at this time.
Old July 12th 07, 02:24 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

If you are having trouble with your 12-Disc CD player or Delco radio the
following is the good stuff on United Radio.

Denise Proctor >
Customer Service Manager
United Radio Service, Inc.
5705 Enterprise Pkwy