C5 Tire Sensors

Old October 13th 11, 04:14 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default C5 Tire Sensors

Well my lithium batteries have all died an its time to take it in.
Question is do they replace the whole sensor or just the battery

Thanks in advance

Evan
Old October 13th 11, 06:53 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<Ev> wrote in message ...
Well my lithium batteries have all died an its time to take it in.
Question is do they replace the whole sensor or just the battery

Thanks in advance

Evan

Depends on the year of your Corvette, from 1997 through 2000 they were
number 10438853 at about $80 to $120 each. From 2001 through 2004 they
were number 2577394 at a cost of about $33 to $60 each and they will
not change batteries. You will need to replace the entire tire
pressure sensor by removing the wheel and breaking down at least one
side of the tire to replace the sensor. You can buy them online
cheaper but I doubt that a dealer will replace them for you if you
take in your sensors.

Old October 13th 11, 11:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Jon[_6_]

On 10/12/2011 11:53 PM, Dad wrote:
> <Ev> wrote in message ...
> Well my lithium batteries have all died an its time to take it in.
> Question is do they replace the whole sensor or just the battery
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Evan
>
> Depends on the year of your Corvette, from 1997 through 2000 they were
> number 10438853 at about $80 to $120 each. From 2001 through 2004 they
> were number 2577394 at a cost of about $33 to $60 each and they will not
> change batteries. You will need to replace the entire tire pressure
> sensor by removing the wheel and breaking down at least one side of the
> tire to replace the sensor. You can buy them online cheaper but I doubt
> that a dealer will replace them for you if you take in your sensors.

There is a guy on the Corvette forum that claims he can replace the
batteries in them.

--
Where are we going?
Why am I in this handbasket?
Old October 13th 11, 11:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Jon" > wrote in message
> On 10/12/2011 11:53 PM, Dad wrote:
>> <Ev> wrote in message
>> Well my lithium batteries have all died an its time to take it in.
>> Question is do they replace the whole sensor or just the battery
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Evan
>>
>> Depends on the year of your Corvette, from 1997 through 2000 they
>> were
>> number 10438853 at about $80 to $120 each. From 2001 through 2004
>> they
>> were number 2577394 at a cost of about $33 to $60 each and they
>> will not
>> change batteries. You will need to replace the entire tire pressure
>> sensor by removing the wheel and breaking down at least one side of
>> the
>> tire to replace the sensor. You can buy them online cheaper but I
>> doubt
>> that a dealer will replace them for you if you take in your
>> sensors.

> There is a guy on the Corvette forum that claims he can replace the
> batteries in them.

Yep, can be done, now all you need to do is remove the wheel, break it
down, take out the sensor, replace the battery, put it back in the
wheel, remount the wheel, and retrain it and hope all your work was
correct. Everyone can handle all that except maybe breaking the tire
bead, would you do it?

Old October 15th 11, 03:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Thanks Guys for all the info Hello to Dad its been a while(about 2 years)
hope all is well with you an yours. I have been reading the forums about the
sensors. The next issue is finding a dealer in west palm beach that will
lift the car correctly AND do the tires/sensors right! I may do it myself an
just bring in the tires. I am so scared to deal with dealers. Bad experience
the 3 times I went there. 1st time a 90 year old guy drove it on the drive
on lift crooked a scratched the bottom paint by the rear tire about an inch.
number 2 tec put down his clipboard on the seat with the pen in it an we had
a 3 inch black pen mark on my light oak leather passenger seat. number 3 tec
bringing car out to me scuffed the kick out board on the drivers side with
black heal marks which I buffed out. 3 for 3 an only in for oil changes! I
haven't been back since.I CAN'T AFFORD THE COLLATERAL DAMAGE! I do my oil
changes myself now an have had no other trouble with the car except now the
sensors. got a trip coming up at the end of the month to new jersey an I
don't want to fly blind without my sensors not a smart Idea. Like I said
I've read threw the forums an I came across this.
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f117/...-pucks-107706/

Any comments or advise would be helpful
as always thank you in advance
Evan
2002 magnetic red II coupe
"Maggie"

Old October 15th 11, 04:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<Ev> wrote in message ...
> Thanks Guys for all the info Hello to Dad its been a while(about 2
> years) hope all is well with you an yours. I have been reading the
> forums about the sensors. The next issue is finding a dealer in west
> palm beach that will lift the car correctly AND do the tires/sensors
> right! I may do it myself an just bring in the tires. I am so scared
> to deal with dealers. Bad experience the 3 times I went there. 1st
> time a 90 year old guy drove it on the drive on lift crooked a
> scratched the bottom paint by the rear tire about an inch. number 2
> tec put down his clipboard on the seat with the pen in it an we had
> a 3 inch black pen mark on my light oak leather passenger seat.
> number 3 tec bringing car out to me scuffed the kick out board on
> the drivers side with black heal marks which I buffed out. 3 for 3
> an only in for oil changes! I haven't been back since.I CAN'T AFFORD
> THE COLLATERAL DAMAGE! I do my oil changes myself now an have had
> no other trouble with the car except now the sensors. got a trip
> coming up at the end of the month to new jersey an I don't want to
> fly blind without my sensors not a smart Idea. Like I said I've read
> threw the forums an I came across this.
> http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f117/...-pucks-107706/
>
> Any comments or advise would be helpful
> as always thank you in advance
> Evan
> 2002 magnetic red II coupe
> "Maggie"

There is a problem with the sensor repair you have been reading about
and that is that it has only been done successfully on the '97 through
'00 sensors. May not be much better but take it to a tire dealer to
have it done, it's their business to get it right and I've had better
luck with them than I have with the stealerships.

Have you by any chance had the tires replaced? Tires with steel
sidewall will interfere with the sensor signals as will some stainless
steel brake lines. Have you tried to retain the sensors? Easy to do
and would be the first thing I would try, only takes a good magnet,
not a special scan tool. The owner of the '98 I had is still on his
first set of sensors so the batteries are not necessarily the problem.

They are $56 each on this site, 25773946.
http://www.tpmsdirect.com/CHEVROLET_..._com_s/369.htm
Rockauto.com has Dorman $41 and Standard Motor $45, they are good to
deal with and quick ship.

Old October 15th 11, 10:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Thanks Dad good to hear from you. Still the original tires emt run flats
nothing has been changed an the even though the tires are old they are in
excellent shape no real wear or cracks the car only has 14,000 miles on it.
Also a friend suggested that I let the air out then fill them again that may
correct it. Also as you said I can try to re-train them with the magnet all
good ideas. I will start playing with it on Sunday an keep you updated.

Thanks again

Evan

<Ev> wrote in message ...
> Thanks Guys for all the info Hello to Dad its been a while(about 2 years)
> hope all is well with you an yours. I have been reading the forums about
> the sensors. The next issue is finding a dealer in west palm beach that
> will lift the car correctly AND do the tires/sensors right! I may do it
> myself an just bring in the tires. I am so scared to deal with dealers.
> Bad experience the 3 times I went there. 1st time a 90 year old guy drove
> it on the drive on lift crooked a scratched the bottom paint by the rear
> tire about an inch. number 2 tec put down his clipboard on the seat with
> the pen in it an we had a 3 inch black pen mark on my light oak leather
> passenger seat. number 3 tec bringing car out to me scuffed the kick out
> board on the drivers side with black heal marks which I buffed out. 3 for
> 3 an only in for oil changes! I haven't been back since.I CAN'T AFFORD THE
> COLLATERAL DAMAGE! I do my oil changes myself now an have had no other
> trouble with the car except now the sensors. got a trip coming up at the
> end of the month to new jersey an I don't want to fly blind without my
> sensors not a smart Idea. Like I said I've read threw the forums an I came
> across this.
> http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f117/...-pucks-107706/
>
> Any comments or advise would be helpful
> as always thank you in advance
> Evan
> 2002 magnetic red II coupe
> "Maggie"

There is a problem with the sensor repair you have been reading about
and that is that it has only been done successfully on the '97 through
'00 sensors. May not be much better but take it to a tire dealer to
have it done, it's their business to get it right and I've had better
luck with them than I have with the stealerships.

Have you by any chance had the tires replaced? Tires with steel
sidewall will interfere with the sensor signals as will some stainless
steel brake lines. Have you tried to retain the sensors? Easy to do
and would be the first thing I would try, only takes a good magnet,
not a special scan tool. The owner of the '98 I had is still on his
first set of sensors so the batteries are not necessarily the problem.

They are $56 each on this site, 25773946.
http://www.tpmsdirect.com/CHEVROLET_..._com_s/369.htm
Rockauto.com has Dorman $41 and Standard Motor $45, they are good to
deal with and quick ship.

2007 Explorer XLT Tire Sensors Tom from WI[_2_] Ford Explorer 1 June 25th 09 09:25 PM
Tire Pressure Sensors Blue C5 Corvette 7 June 5th 09 10:36 AM
Tire pressure sensors? Paul Dhuse Audi 4 April 5th 09 03:48 AM
Darn Tire Pressure sensors Perry Smith Jeep 36 December 23rd 06 09:26 AM
Cheap Source for Tire Pressure Sensors Richard Chrysler 10 October 28th 04 03:01 AM