Liquid in my air filter housing

Old December 18th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
LoneGreyWolf via CarKB.com

Default Liquid in my air filter housing

Took the cover off my air filter housing today and discoverd about 1/2 cup of
milky white fluid in the housing and coating the air filter. I live in the
mountains at 6500 ft with night time temps at 15-25 and days at 25-50.
Just bought the 88 YJ with 155,000 on it. Am planning to do an HEI dist
conversion, and put a MC2100 on it.

I don't drive it much and it runs poorly enough that I start it and leave it
running for awhile before driving across town (3 miles in either direction) I
have only taken it on a couple of 2-3 hour, back dusty road drives. It stays
on high idle for a long time 10-15 minutes and is hard to start if it doesn't
sit long enough.

There is no froth in the valve cover or on the cap, can't see any oil in the
recovery bottle or water in the oil. I'm thinking with the short drives and
long idle, or high idle times, I am picking up a lot of very moist air out of
the exhaust and it is condensing in the air filter housing. Just a guess,
what do you pros think?

Old December 18th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Disclaimer: The following post is in no way meant to help out, only
give you a quick chuckle.

LoneGreyWolf via CarKB.com wrote:

> Took the cover off my air filter housing today and discoverd about 1/2 cup of
> milky white fluid in the housing and coating the air filter.

LoneGrey:
Your Engine stroked itself out....

Old December 18th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bill Kearney[_1_]

> Took the cover off my air filter housing today and discoverd about 1/2 cup
of
> milky white fluid in the housing and coating the air filter.

Does it come back? Or was it just a one time thing?

Old December 18th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Someone else just had the same problem in a 258 YJ and after figuring
his PCV system was likely working ok, the diagnosis appeared to be a bad
valve on the exhaust air tubes that connect into the middle of the air
filter.

Those valves can be eliminated from the system for a test by plugging
the holes with wine corks.

Seeing as you will be getting rid of or shutting off 'all' the pollution
controls with your HEI and 2100, these exhaust tubes can be unhooked
from the air filter and permanently blocked. On one that was broken, we
blocked it down at the CAT with a large bolt that happened to fit the
tube perfectly.

And just an FYI for you. The stock Weber-Carter BBD on it can be made
to behave quite nicely with a $20.00 carb kit and some tweaking,
especially after the computer is taken out of the circuit.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 18th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_5_]

For a longer lasting solution, rubber corks from a chemical supply house.
;^)

It's funny; I used to work on automobiles full time in the seventies, right
when the pollution controls all came out. After working on a few vehicles I
figured, along with a lot of other mechanics, that the damn things didn't do
anything except make the cars run more poorly and use more fuel. Except the
PCV, of course, don't disconnect that. A big laugh was the attempt to use
higher (numerically lower) gear ratios in an attempt to increase fuel
mileage (kilometerage north of the border). The Dodge dealer where I worked
did a healthy business in axle ratio changes, in order to restore a
semblance of performance and economy to his customer's vehicles.

Now with fuel injection this is all theoretically "better", but as Mike
likes to say a properly tuned carburetor performs quite nicely too.

Earle

Old December 18th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
LoneGreyWolf via CarKB.com

Do any of you have the diagrams for the HEI upgrade? My Chilton book puts
the ignition control module where there is nothing. Picture the book gives
doesn't look like anything under the hood of my 88 YJ. The "directions" the
supplier sent are a watered down version of someone else's vague write up.
The CJ5 and 7's the conversions were done on had way different wiring and
connections. Any current, detailed write ups for an 88YJ withe the 258 6I
would be very helpful.

Old December 18th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

The Haynes CJ manual is the best one for the engine and under hood
wiring for the 258 YJ's.

The ignition module is 'Waaaaaayyyyy' down under the washer bottle at
the bottom of the fender skirt.

Here is a good site for all things 258:
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

Here are some specifics about killing that Ford emissions cpmputer:
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/ignmods.htm

And:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/jnutter1.htm

I prefer to add two new wires when bypassing the computer by hooking the
orange and purple wires at the ignition module directly to the orange
and purple wires at the distributor rather than mess inside the
harness. Especially in a YJ, because the colors in the harness are
different than the CJ the article is written about.

Here is an article on the HEI:
http://www.geocities.com/jeeperaz/hei.htm

Here is a 'great' article on getting that Weber-Carter BBD purring at
idle:
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=277064

Hope some of this helps,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 19th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_3_]

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Disclaimer: The following post is in no way meant to help out, only
> give you a quick chuckle.
>
> LoneGreyWolf via CarKB.com wrote:
>
>> Took the cover off my air filter housing today and discoverd about 1/2
>> cup of
>> milky white fluid in the housing and coating the air filter.

> LoneGrey:
> Your Engine stroked itself out....

OMG!
ROFLMAO!

Old December 20th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
LoneGreyWolf via CarKB.com

Mike Romain wrote:
>The Haynes CJ manual is the best one for the engine and under hood
>wiring for the 258 YJ's.
>
>The ignition module is 'Waaaaaayyyyy' down under the washer bottle at
>the bottom of the fender skirt.
>
>Here is a good site for all things 258:
>http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
>
>Here are some specifics about killing that Ford emissions cpmputer:
>http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/ignmods.htm
>
>And:
>http://www.off-road.com/jeep/jnutter1.htm
>
>I prefer to add two new wires when bypassing the computer by hooking the
>orange and purple wires at the ignition module directly to the orange
>and purple wires at the distributor rather than mess inside the
>harness. Especially in a YJ, because the colors in the harness are
>different than the CJ the article is written about.
>
>Here is an article on the HEI:
>http://www.geocities.com/jeeperaz/hei.htm
>
>Here is a 'great' article on getting that Weber-Carter BBD purring at
>idle:
>http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=277064
>
>Hope some of this helps,
>
>Mike
>86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
>Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
>(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>
>> Do any of you have the diagrams for the HEI upgrade? My Chilton book puts
>> the ignition control module where there is nothing. Picture the book gives

>[quoted text clipped - 31 lines]
>> Message posted via CarKB.com
>> http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/jeep-cars/200612/1

I am amazed at all the stuff you guys know and have url's for. I do all the
reading I can and never find the stuff you guys give me. One guy on another
site gave the address to a gas tank supplier with a 28 gallon tank for my 88
YJ that will replace the 15. Comes with new sending unit and all mounting
hardware for $183.00. A new skid plate is only $69 more. Best I could find
was $700 and buy my own new sending unit for a 20g.

Thanks guys.