Microsoft wheel

Old November 14th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Default Microsoft wheel

He does not have the gameport version. He has the USB version as noted in
the original post.

"Sidewinder force feedback wheel USB
software version 4.0
"

He is talking about the crash issues within the profiler, which is a known
issue caused by some MS windows update that has not yet been identified
(that I know of).

-Larry

u...

Old November 14th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Mr Q,

You able to seperate the brake and throttle axis? Last person I helped with
installing the sidewinder wheel found he could not seperate the wheel
without the profiler sidewinder stuff. But someone might have figurued out
a way around that?

BTW, this makes a helluva difference in many racing games, being able to
touch the brakes yet not lift the throttle...
Mr Q enlightened us with:

Old November 14th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr Q

Plowboy wrote:
> You able to seperate the brake and throttle axis? Last person I helped with
> installing the sidewinder wheel found he could not seperate the wheel
> without the profiler sidewinder stuff. But someone might have figurued out
> a way around that?

It's been a while since I used it but I'm fairly certain it showed up as
separate axis. The problem at the time was that some games (the early
Need for Speeds, etc.) wouldn't recognise the separate axis. Worked ok
on most of the good stuff though - Papyrus sims, etc.

I passed the wheel onto a friend who is still using it. I'll get him to
check and confirm.

--

Mr Q
-------------------
Old November 14th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr Q

Larry wrote:
> He does not have the gameport version. He has the USB version as noted in
> the original post.

D'oh! USB. :P

Does it also work without the profiler software?

It's a shame Microsoft seemed to just completely abandon support for
their controllers.

--

Mr Q
-------------------
Old November 14th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RAID!!!

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:15:13 +1100, Mr Q wrote:

> Unless it changed in later versions of XP the default Sidewinder wheel
> setup was for separate axis.

No, it's not. That would be stupid of them as there are some games that
won't even work if you use seperate axis. Default is combined axis.
Old November 15th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr Q

RAID!!! wrote:
> ... there are some games that
> won't even work if you use seperate axis.

Yes, that's what I meant by "some games (the early Need for Speeds,
etc.) wouldn't recognise the separate axis".

> Default is combined axis.

If you're using the gameport version under XP (as described in my
(that implies a choice), there is only the separate axis. Just double
checked this and it's definitely correct.

--

Mr Q
-------------------
Old November 16th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RAID!!!

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:44:01 +1100, Mr Q wrote:

> If you're using the gameport version under XP (as described in my
> (that implies a choice), there is only the separate axis. Just double
> checked this and it's definitely correct.

Mine are USB and I'm not using the Microsoft software, just what comes with
XP. I have no option to change axis and it is just combined axis. That's
good enough for me.
Old November 16th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr Q

RAID!!! wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:44:01 +1100, Mr Q wrote:
>

>> If you're using the gameport version under XP (as described in my
>> (that implies a choice), there is only the separate axis. Just double
>> checked this and it's definitely correct.

> Mine are USB and I'm not using the Microsoft software, just what comes with
> XP. I have no option to change axis and it is just combined axis. That's
> good enough for me.

Fair enough. I guess the gameport and USB ones are different using the
built in XP drivers.

The separate axis is probably more useful, even at the expense of a few
older games not working. Still, you can't change it (can't on the
gameport version either) so ...

--

Mr Q