HELP PLEASE: 96 GD. CARAVAN STUCK IN 2ND GEAR.

Old June 9th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default HELP PLEASE: 96 GD. CARAVAN STUCK IN 2ND GEAR.

Hello everyone,

I would really appreciate any info on the following problem we have
encountered with our 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan.

Mileage: 81,000
Year: 1996
Engine: 3.3 Liter
Transmission:` 4 speed electronic shift.

Description of problem: Today, my wife was driving about 60 MPH down
the highway. She suddenly heard a loud noise, and the tachometer
jumped way up (engine racing at high RPM). Then, it appears that since
then the transmission is stuck in second gear (limp mode). I thought
that maybe it might be a speed sensor, but maybe I'm wrong. I tried
the cruise control, and it works, so I'm probably wrong about
that,..(anyone?). I looked at the connector of the transmission
controller, and everything looks clean. Fluid level is fine. Other
instruments seem to be working fine, gauges, heater control, etc.. It
seems like the CCD bus communication is fine. There is no check engine
light on either. I dont have a scan tool, so I'm not sure if there
could be codes stored in the system without the check engine light on
that may be able to steer me. This vehicle has been garaged, and kept
in nice shape, and is not a "beater vehicle", as they would say. Is
there anyone that may have any info on this problem? Thanks very much
in advance for any advice.

Sincerely,

Bill
Old June 9th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

81,000 miles? I would guess that is about average. mine went at
129,000 kms.

The care you took in keeping the car in a garage has little to do with
a poor design.

From my experience, there are 3 main possibilites:

1) The tranny is totally shot and needs to be rebuilt

2) The solenoid pack may be defective and need to be replaced

3) It could also be a wiring harness issue.

Please, find a competant trans shop - one that will read the trans
computer for free. Check with the Better Business Bureau. Talk to
local service shops. Many have a list of "preferred suppiers" to
sub-contract work to. Many shops don't do their own tranmission work.
But they want a GOOD shop to do the work, or THEY get a ****ed off
customer.

Take the van to the shop, and let the shop give you a diagnosis and an
estimate.

I am in Canada, and there is a VERY reputable shop that is a member of
CAA/AAA and will rebuild these transmissions for $1495 CDN$ + Tax.
When I had my solenoid pack replaced, it was (IIRC) about $350.

Don't be hoodwinked by shops like SCAMCO (AAMMACO) and others that
want $4,000 to do a job like this. They are a rip-off.

hth

Old June 9th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

About the previous poster's third point.... I was having problems with
my 1990 3.3 litre Grand Voyageur - this after a complete rebuild (yes,
about $1400 but it was pretty much worn out). Would go into limp mode
- only way to get out of it was to start up, it would flip into limp
mode, I'd shift into neutral, shut the motor off, shart up again and
shift into Drive. Most annoying. However, I digress... - the
transmission guy and myself discovered that it was a loose or
intermittent connector on the front of the transmission so the computer
wasn't getting the proper signals. We discovered this while reading
the codes and shifting gears while he fiddled with the connector. Once
things were crimped together better, it worked fine.

I'd also agree - try to find a small independent transmission person
who can do good work for a reasonable rate. But get this person to do
some code reading first. That may help identify the problem.

Dave

Old June 9th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

BILL wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would really appreciate any info on the following problem we have
> encountered with our 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan.
>
> Mileage: 81,000
> Year: 1996
> Engine: 3.3 Liter
> Transmission:` 4 speed electronic shift.
>
> Description of problem: Today, my wife was driving about 60 MPH down
> the highway. She suddenly heard a loud noise, and the tachometer
> jumped way up (engine racing at high RPM). Then, it appears that since
> then the transmission is stuck in second gear (limp mode). I thought
> that maybe it might be a speed sensor, but maybe I'm wrong. I tried
> the cruise control, and it works, so I'm probably wrong about
> that,..(anyone?). I looked at the connector of the transmission
> controller, and everything looks clean. Fluid level is fine. Other
> instruments seem to be working fine, gauges, heater control, etc.. It
> seems like the CCD bus communication is fine. There is no check engine
> light on either. I dont have a scan tool, so I'm not sure if there
> could be codes stored in the system without the check engine light on
> that may be able to steer me. This vehicle has been garaged, and kept
> in nice shape, and is not a "beater vehicle", as they would say. Is
> there anyone that may have any info on this problem? Thanks very much
> in advance for any advice.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Bill

My '96 did something very similar at about the same mileage as yours.
The overdrive gear/shaft broke in the transmission. A friend who is a
Dodge transmission mechanic repaired (rebuilt) it. He said this is a
common problem with that model. The new gear/shaft assembly is redesigned.
Old June 10th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I have it at the transmission shop right now, left over the weekend.
They have a code for a shift solenoid. The expert on this is out of
town until Monday, when more can be determined.

Thanks,

Bill

Old June 12th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

It's in 2nd gear because the computer put it there. Lucky you! You can
actually find out what happened if you just take it somewhere with a scan
tool.

Old July 16th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Wally in Calgary

BILL Wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would really appreciate any info on the following problem we have
> encountered with our 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan.
>
> Mileage: 81,000
> Year: 1996
> Engine: 3.3 Liter
> Transmission:` 4 speed electronic shift.
>
> Description of problem: Today, my wife was driving about 60 MPH down
> the highway. She suddenly heard a loud noise, and the tachometer
> jumped way up (engine racing at high RPM). Then, it appears that since
> then the transmission is stuck in second gear (limp mode). I thought
> that maybe it might be a speed sensor, but maybe I'm wrong. I tried
> the cruise control, and it works, so I'm probably wrong about
> that,..(anyone?). I looked at the connector of the transmission
> controller, and everything looks clean. Fluid level is fine. Other
> instruments seem to be working fine, gauges, heater control, etc.. It
> seems like the CCD bus communication is fine. There is no check engine
> light on either. I dont have a scan tool, so I'm not sure if there
> could be codes stored in the system without the check engine light on
> that may be able to steer me. This vehicle has been garaged, and kept
> in nice shape, and is not a "beater vehicle", as they would say. Is
> there anyone that may have any info on this problem? Thanks very much
> in advance for any advice.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Bill

I have just developed the same problem (97GR.Voy.3.3 auto) but mine
shifts when it is cold but does not shift when it heats up. The check
engine light came on at the same time as this happened. I found a
vacuum line that had come off and replaced it but this didn't help. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers Wally.

--
Wally in Calgary
Wally in Calgary's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=523282

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old July 16th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Gyzmologist

There are a number of sensors in the transmission that the TCM needs to
coordinate shifts. If any one of these fail, it will enter into limp
mode. My '90 Voyager did the same thing, and the turbine speed sensor
was the cause.

--
Gyz

07 Saturn Sky
98 Dodge Status ES
94 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
Old July 16th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Gyzmologist wrote:
> There are a number of sensors in the transmission that the TCM needs to
> coordinate shifts. If any one of these fail, it will enter into limp
> mode. My '90 Voyager did the same thing, and the turbine speed sensor
> was the cause.

There are only two such sensors that I know of. The "turbine speed
sensor" is more commonly referred to as the input speed sensor. The
other one is the output speed sensor.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 25th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Gyzmologist

There are also pressure sensors, two from what I can remember, probably
used by the TCM to recalibrate itself (at least, that's how I would have
done it). Not sure what the symptom would be if one of these died, but
limp mode seems likely.

--
Gyz

07 Saturn Sky
98 Dodge Status ES
94 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

problems shifting with manual transmission (stick), help, something is wrong [email protected] Technology 9 February 25th 06 07:32 PM
Jeep Wrangler Automatic: Stuck in Gear JeepJimmy8 4x4 0 July 10th 05 11:47 PM
Buzzing at startup/ring gear SmarSquid Honda 1 January 16th 05 02:46 AM
Speedo gear problem Jeff Scherb Jeep 2 December 19th 04 11:57 AM
No reverse gear on 2000 Saturn SL2 A/T 2000SaturnSL2 Saturn 6 October 6th 04 06:18 PM