95 Honda Civic Hesitation/shaking when accelerating

Old June 7th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 95 Honda Civic Hesitation/shaking when accelerating

SYMPTOMS: car hesitating, shaking and misfiring on acceleration in
every gear, smoothing out at higher RPM. the behavior worsened as the
engine heated up.

CAUSE: faulty (old and worn) spark plugs that were well past their
expiration.

SOLUTION: replace them with new ones.

NOTES: well, it was the spark plugs. I don't feel bad about replacing
the fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor as well though, and I still
might replace the wires because these are all parts that needed
replacing anyway. Plus, the problem with my car not starting after a
heavy rain was not likely caused by bad spark plugs. I have yet so see
if that still occurs. I did the water spray test though and I didn't
notice a change. I also might need to set my idle speed. My car seems
to be idling at lower RPM than it did before I changed the distributor
cap and rotor. I would like to check the timing and do anything else
that might increase my gas mileage.

Thank you all so much for your help. I can't tell you how much I
appreciate it.

Old June 7th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Jacob" > wrote
> SYMPTOMS: car hesitating, shaking and misfiring on
> acceleration in
> every gear, smoothing out at higher RPM. the behavior
> worsened as the
> engine heated up.
>
> CAUSE: faulty (old and worn) spark plugs that were well
> past their
> expiration.
>
> SOLUTION: replace them with new ones.
>
> NOTES: well, it was the spark plugs. I don't feel bad
> about replacing
> the fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor as well though,
> and I still
> might replace the wires because these are all parts that
> needed
> replacing anyway.

Right on, Jacob! These will help your fuel mileage and the
longevity of more expensive parts, like the ignition coil.

> Plus, the problem with my car not starting after a
> heavy rain was not likely caused by bad spark plugs.

I wouldn't say that just yet.

I have yet so see
> if that still occurs. I did the water spray test though
> and I didn't
> notice a change. I also might need to set my idle speed.
> My car seems
> to be idling at lower RPM than it did before I changed the
> distributor
> cap and rotor. I would like to check the timing and do
> anything else
> that might increase my gas mileage.

Ebay has good deals on timing lights. One does not need
anything fancy.

> Thank you all so much for your help. I can't tell you how
> much I
> appreciate it.

Way to persist. Lesson learned is that many folks posting
here are kinda newbies to automotive diagnosis and
maintenance, so one should not assume something as basic as
the plugs have been regularly changed.

Old June 8th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article .com>,
"Jacob" > wrote:

> SYMPTOMS: car hesitating, shaking and misfiring on acceleration in
> every gear, smoothing out at higher RPM. the behavior worsened as the
> engine heated up.
>
> CAUSE: faulty (old and worn) spark plugs that were well past their
> expiration.
>
> SOLUTION: replace them with new ones.
>
> NOTES: well, it was the spark plugs. I don't feel bad about replacing
> the fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor as well though, and I still
> might replace the wires because these are all parts that needed
> replacing anyway. Plus, the problem with my car not starting after a
> heavy rain was not likely caused by bad spark plugs. I have yet so see
> if that still occurs. I did the water spray test though and I didn't
> notice a change. I also might need to set my idle speed. My car seems
> to be idling at lower RPM than it did before I changed the distributor
> cap and rotor. I would like to check the timing and do anything else
> that might increase my gas mileage.
>
> Thank you all so much for your help. I can't tell you how much I
> appreciate it.

If there's no knock sensor just advance the timing a small bit each week
until the engine sometimes buzzes or growls, then turn it back until it
always runs quietly. Otherwise have a shop to it for a few dollars and
let the knock sensor do the fine tuning itself.
Old June 8th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

How do I determine if it has a knock sensor?

I'm not sure if I should even mess with the timing. It's running ok.
I just want to make sure it is running at it's best possible
efficiency. It sometimes idles around 500 RPM. Seems low to me.

Old June 11th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article .com>,
"Jacob" > wrote:

> How do I determine if it has a knock sensor?
>
> I'm not sure if I should even mess with the timing. It's running ok.
> I just want to make sure it is running at it's best possible
> efficiency. It sometimes idles around 500 RPM. Seems low to me.

You better not mess with it if you don't know whether or not it has a
knock sensor. Have a shop do it.
Old February 28th 14, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Wednesday, June 7, 2006 8:06:39 AM UTC-4, Jacob wrote:
> SYMPTOMS: car hesitating, shaking and misfiring on acceleration in
> every gear, smoothing out at higher RPM. the behavior worsened as the
> engine heated up.
>
> CAUSE: faulty (old and worn) spark plugs that were well past their
> expiration.
>
> SOLUTION: replace them with new ones.
>
> NOTES: well, it was the spark plugs. I don't feel bad about replacing
> the fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor as well though, and I still
> might replace the wires because these are all parts that needed
> replacing anyway. Plus, the problem with my car not starting after a
> heavy rain was not likely caused by bad spark plugs. I have yet so see
> if that still occurs. I did the water spray test though and I didn't
> notice a change. I also might need to set my idle speed. My car seems
> to be idling at lower RPM than it did before I changed the distributor
> cap and rotor. I would like to check the timing and do anything else
> that might increase my gas mileage.
>
> Thank you all so much for your help. I can't tell you how much I
> appreciate it.

i am having the same problem. i assumed it was the spark plugs. i just replaced them. it did not fix my issue. i just bought a fuel filter i am going to change that tomorrow. it sounds like it could be a few of these things causing the problem though. its just crazy how the thing that fixed yours, did not fix mine. i might need help. :/
Old August 11th 15, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Newbies. All of you.
It's nothing ANY of you have mentioned.
The problem is the ICM. (Ignition control module.) This is a part usually located inside the distributor of a civic. 92-2000 anyway.
When this thing starts to die it inaccurately adjusts the timing for acceleration making the car sputter.
Change this and you'll be good.