96 Land Rover Discovery : Diagnosing High Pitched Squeal Wheel Noise ???

Old August 22nd 04, 07:58 PM
Zach Bower

Default 96 Land Rover Discovery : Diagnosing High Pitched Squeal Wheel Noise ???

I recently purchased an immaculate 96 Land Rover Discovery Series 1
from the original owner. I noticed right from the beginning that
occassionally I would hear a high pitched squeal coming from what
sounds like either the left front or rear wheel. My initial thought
was it was a bad wheel bearing but then I noticed it typically started
when I had been braking and then let off the break which led me to
believe it might be a metallic sensor on the pad that drags against
the caliper (I had an old BMW with this feature). I read that you
could diagnose a bad wheel bearing by excessive play in the wheel when
jacked up so I jacked the rover up yesterday and tried to see if the
wheel moved any direction other than forwards/backwards, seemed pretty
solid to me. So then I pulled the wheel and looked at the brakes,
they look to be atleast 50% so I don't think it's a brake issue
although I have been noticing quite a bit of brake dust on the front
wheels, perhaps this is just common of Discovery's?

I repeated this process for both left front and rear wheels and didn't
notice anything abnormal. While spinning the wheel w/ it jacked up,
there is a slight scraping/friction noise but I'm guessing this is
normal??

So now I don't know what direction to take on diagnosing this issue.
Perhaps I could be way off w/ the source of the noise as it's
difficult to pinpoint while driving. It seems to occur at all speeds
and doesn't change in volume although there is a slight change in
rhythm as if it is related to something that is rotating. Any
thoughts on common sources of this problem, what else I could look at
etc? I assume it could still be a wheel bearing and seems pretty
likely but I can't prove it without prying the wheel apart.

I took some pictures of the rotors w/ caliper and the amount of brake
pad left if it's worth anything. I've done brakes many times before
and I can't imagine the pads are too low, they were replaced about 20k
miles ago according to the records I got from the original owner. Any
advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Zach
Old August 23rd 04, 10:40 AM
kezoe

Zach,

I suggest you investigate the brake caliper itself. It sounds like it
is sticking that's why you can here the squealing after braking. The
caliper does not retract far enough and the pads are touching the
disc. This produces a squealing sound. Sometimes it will be worse on
cornering as the stress from a cornering wheel creates movement on the
disc.

This is common and appears after new pads have done some miles. When
the pads were fitted the pistons were pushed back road dust and all
instead of being cleaned with an air line or something similar. Over
time as the brakes are used, the dust builds up on the caliper piston
seals and causes the sticking. Also, renew the pad fixing kit (little
bars and split pins). As these too, corrode preventing movement of the
pads.

Old August 27th 04, 06:16 AM
Zach Bower

Thanks Kezoe, this seems pretty reasonable given the amount of brake
dust I've been noticing on the front wheels. I've definitely noticed
it get worse or start squealing around turns.

As for correcting this problem, any recommendations on how to go about
cleaning the caliper? I don't have access to an air hose but I do
have compressed air that I can use and I assume I could use some
chemical brake cleaning products. Any good resources for ordering
Land Rover parts online? I'm fairly new to these trucks but I'm
really starting to get attached to the vehicle. Thanks again.

Zach