Myth: The motor car is the ultimate freedom machine

Old January 5th 15, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

Default Myth: The motor car is the ultimate freedom machine

On 2015-01-04 23:22:06 +0000, Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises said:

> On Sunday, January 4, 2015 5:46:14 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> "Eliminate car use?"
>>>
>>> I tell you drivers tend to be radical. I want to retire the bad drivers
>>> so the other forms of transportation as well as the good drivers can
>>> enjoy more room.

>> I want to require all drivers to be good drivers... ...or lose their
>> right to drive.

> Well, we need those SPEED CAMERAS to start separating the good drivers
> from the bad drivers.

No. We don't.

Speed cameras tell you precisely nothing about whether some is a good
driver or not.

> Hint: Good drivers don't go speeding on city streets. They should have
> a working passing lane on freeways.

If by "speeding" you mean "exceeding the posted limit", then you can
make every driver into a "bad" driver simply by lowering the limit to a
ridiculous number.

The simple fact is that traffic engineers and scientists recommend
setting limits at the 85th percentile of free flowing traffic speed. A
limit set below that will result in many good drivers exceeding it.

Old January 5th 15, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-04 23:41:54 +0000, Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises said:

> On Sunday, January 4, 2015 4:05:00 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> If you deny space for the bicycle it may be said you deny the bicycle.

>> Where have I done that?

> Would you accept dedicating the right lane to slow vehicles? Again, no
> investment whatsoever.

No. Because one has the examine utility and not make up idiotic blanket rules.

>>> Because we are a BIPEDAL SPECIES and you need to keep walking and> >
>>> moving. We are not sedentary by nature and we are we pay a price.

>> Again, this is just nonsense.
>>
>> The fact that people use cars to transport themselves from place to>
>> place doesn't prevent them from walking and running and exercising.

> Very, very difficult, unless you go to a gym. And that means more driving!

No. Very easy.

>> The rest of your nonsensical fantasies have been snipped.

> OK, let's start with the issue of corruption because that's not fantasy
> island. These islands are popping up everywhere, on corners and
> sometimes in the middle of the block:
>
> http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...psebbea2e9.jpg
>

> http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...psise3sfre.jpg
>

> Do they make a crappy community look any better? Notice the dents on
> the cement. Somebody hit that cement hard, possibly doing damage to the
> tires or car. Right, they are a safety hazard and they are appearing
> everywhere. Four to an intersection, they take a lot of labor and
> maintenance. What are they good for?
>
> http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps8b5ad383.jpg
>

> Yes, even a dog can figure it out. That's where the money goes if it
> doesn't go to bike facilities or trains. That's where the money from
> the red light cameras go.
>
> And nobody says anything. Instead of calling it corruption they call it
> "street beautification." And that's the beauty of it. They do it before
> your eyes. My dogs give a crap about it.

And how does any of that prove corruption?

Old January 5th 15, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-05 03:40:06 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Sunday, January 4, 2015 8:31:21 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
>> On 2015-01-04 23:41:54 +0000, Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises said:

>>> And nobody says anything. Instead of calling it corruption they call it
>>> "street beautification." And that's the beauty of it. They do it before
>>> your eyes. My dogs give a crap about it.

>> And how does any of that prove corruption?

> You want it small and widespread or you want a stadium instead? Google
> "Marlins Stadium."

I'd like an answer to my question....

> But those small widespread obstacles are more of a safety hazard to
> drivers. Do you think they have any particular purpose other than
> corruption? I'm Curious George.

So because you don't know why they're there...

....it must be corruption?

That's all you've got?

Old January 5th 15, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-05 03:43:52 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Sunday, January 4, 2015 8:28:50 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> Well, we need those SPEED CAMERAS to start separating the good drivers
>>> from the bad drivers.

>> No. We don't.
>>
>> Speed cameras tell you precisely nothing about whether some is a good
>> driver or not.
>>

>>> Hint: Good drivers don't go speeding on city streets. They should have
>>> a working passing lane on freeways.

>> If by "speeding" you mean "exceeding the posted limit", then you can
>> make every driver into a "bad" driver simply by lowering the limit to a
>> ridiculous number.
>>
>> The simple fact is that traffic engineers and scientists recommend
>> setting limits at the 85th percentile of free flowing traffic speed. A
>> limit set below that will result in many good drivers exceeding it.

> Excuses, excuses, excuses. The best drivers --the Germans-- coexist
> with cameras. They go fast where they can.

And you can co-exist with a lot of things...

....that doesn't make it optimal.

Speed cameras aren't about improving safety. You pay the ticket, but
you don't get any points on your license.

Hence, you don't get removed from the driver pool unless you are very
unlucky and poor.

Old January 5th 15, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-05 14:54:55 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Monday, January 5, 2015 3:03:18 AM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
>> 3. The more we tell people that the only way you can be a bad driver
>> is> to exceed the posted limit, the more people will believe that they>
>> dont' have to do anything else correctly to be safe.

> You said I should pay for a red light ticket and shut up, so now you
> should shut up.

> Speeding over 30 mph through a community is much worse than failing to
> stop at a red light.

And yet, a speeding camera gives you the same ticket whether it is
30mph over, or just 5...

> You should get a ticket automatically, but instead of hitting you hard
> one time, I would issue moderate tickets so you slowly but surely learn
> to observe the speed limit.

Getting a ticket automatically is about revenue generation. I'll
believe that speeding cameras are about safety when they start setting
them up where speeding is actually dangerous instead of on sections of
road that are clearly underposted.

Old January 5th 15, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-05 15:00:24 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Monday, January 5, 2015 3:04:05 AM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
>> On 2015-01-05 05:49:53 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

>>> The mafia in Sicily invested in highways that remained empty. That's
>>> how they work: Construction, Destruction, Corruption.

>> Sorry, but correlation is not causation.

> "See something, say something"
>
> If you see a guy with a beard and suspicious bag, would you wait to say
> something? Right, it may be a homeless, but it may be a terrorist as
> well.

Strawman.

> I'd pay people to report corruption, to be paid out upon conviction.
> That works for you?

Sure....

.....but it has nothing to do with your claims.

Old January 6th 15, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-06 02:10:33 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Monday, January 5, 2015 3:04:05 AM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
>> On 2015-01-05 05:49:53 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

>>> Proper bike lanes:
>>>
>>> http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb219ebe1.jpg
>>>

>>> That's not America, not even Europe. That's Ecuador, a country that
>>> used to be a Banana Republic. One of the trademarks of Banana Republic
>>> is corruption.
>>>
>>> The mafia in Sicily invested in highways that remained empty. That's
>>> how they work: Construction, Destruction, Corruption.

>> Sorry, but correlation is not causation.

> You want corruption to come with a tag?

I want you to present a credible explanation of why some traffic
barriers must equate to corruption.

> http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...psgcml698j.jpg
>

> But corruption is as evident as the tire markings on this "thing"
> --whatever that is.

Sorry, but no. Tire markings don't make the construction of that
barrier corrupt.

Old January 6th 15, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-06 02:15:36 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Monday, January 5, 2015 1:32:34 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> "See something, say something"
>>>
>>> If you see a guy with a beard and suspicious bag, would you wait to say
>>> something? Right, it may be a homeless, but it may be a terrorist as
>>> well.

>> Strawman.
>>

>>> I'd pay people to report corruption, to be paid out upon conviction.
>>> That works for you?

>> Sure....
>>
>> ....but it has nothing to do with your claims.

> You want a tag that says "Made in America with corruption in mind"?

I want credible evidence.

You haven't presented any.

Old January 7th 15, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-06 23:51:32 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:40:22 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
>> On 2015-01-06 23:33:09 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:
>>
>>> On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 5:20:37 PM UTC-5, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most>

>>> http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac18/thetibetanmonkey/CORRUPTION/KIMG0016_zpsiqftpqi9.jpg>

> Because he took over said property after a long construction process
> and promised to open it himself, and he has done nothing.

So you claim...

> That's a major landmark in this crappy town he couldn't miss. What he
> did miss was all the litter and the homeless lying around. He spoke
> about the homeless and said was considering certain solutions. "Coming
> soon to a theater near you." I'm learning he opened some theater
> around, so that's very appropriate.
>>

>>> Why the elderly? Because they vote. One elderly lady complained to him>
>>> surprising return of her taxes --100 bucks. Mr Nice Guy, so to speak.

>> So you're claiming both that he panders to the elderly and he antagonizes them?

> He's not antagonizing them in any way. He gave them --you'll love
> this-- a free trolley bus. You want cyclists to pay their way, but the
> elderly get a free ride.

But then why won't he provide the club?

Old January 7th 15, 07:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-07 06:45:59 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:09:24 PM UTC-5, Free Spirit, Chief of
> Quixotic Enterprises wrote:

>>> Sorry, but you're not qualified to say that.
>>>
>>> From your latest pictures, its clear the purpose of those islands is to
>>> prevent cars from parking too close to the corner.

>> I'll give you 24 hours to come up with a better excuse.
>>
>> You can prevent cars from parking near corners by issuing tickets or
>> towing. That's a great way to generate revenues as well.
>>
>> Tell your city not to do that crappy design. It's contagious, now
>> moving into the very poor ghettos.
>>
>> http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps250de33a.jpg
>>

> Grass islands in the ghetto:
>
> http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...psaa4800fa.jpg
>

> To be honest, proper grass was planted later, but I doubt they'll
> maintain it. Notice the tire marks.

Guess what:

People hit curbs...

....all the time.