Myth: The motor car is the ultimate freedom machine

Old December 8th 14, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

Default Myth: The motor car is the ultimate freedom machine

On 2014-12-07 18:15:02 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Saturday, December 6, 2014 12:40:05 PM UTC-5, rst9 wrote:
>> On Saturday, December 6, 2014 7:58:11 AM UTC-8, Wise TibetanMonkey,
>> Most Humble Philosopher wrote:
>>> Myth: The motor car is the ultimate freedom machine

>> True.
>>

>>> Fact: The 'freedom' promised by the motor car is largely illusory.

>> No, a car allows a person to go anytime he wants.

> So long as you avoid rush hour, which is when most people need it.

Nope. It allows them to go then too. There is a greater cost, but they
can still choose to go if they wish.

> But traffic jams are commonplace anytime of the day now. Just go and
> "pray" you won't get bogged down in traffic.
>>
>>> In the 1950s, when roads were empty and people had a choice of
>>> alternatives, there might have been something to it.

>> I lived through the 1950s. Hit-on crashes were common. Many people
>> were killed in auto accidents because hiways were two lanes, each going
>> the opposite ways.

> Though California pioneered the sprawl and the automobile, the results
> are in plain sight for all to see:
>
> http://blogs.kcrw.com/whichwayla/wp-...05gridlock.jpg
>
> If I had to drive in all that traffic everyday, I'd shoot myself.

Great. You are free to choose NOT to do so.

Don't try and imagine your choice is right for every other person.

>>> Not so today when car use is compulsory for most of the population and
>>> usually involves sitting in traffic jams.

>> Move to small city/big town communities like me. You'll enjoy the clean air
>> and friendly neighbors, and lower prices of farmers fresh grown
>> vegetables and fruits.

> Maybe, but the small city is more car dependent than a city like NYC.
>
> I only know a small place where people are not car dependent: Key West.
> Well, the lack of parking and their blue liberal flag helps. Speeding
> is very much restricted. People flock there from all over America to
> sense this freedom from the rat race.

No. People VISIT there.

Very few actually stay.

Oil change myth? XS11E[_3_] Mazda 7 July 2nd 08 11:41 AM
Honda - The Ultimate Ricer Machine Keith Murphy VW water cooled 15 October 31st 04 05:51 PM
the cocacola myth Ant VW air cooled 13 October 26th 04 04:59 PM