When did BMW's get sports mode?

Old July 18th 14, 09:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
really real

Default When did BMW's get sports mode?

I sat in my cousin's 2010 381 Sports Wagon today and was amazed to see
that it doesn't have sports mode. When did sports mode start?

I suppose her 381 drives more sportingly than my wife's new 381 Sports
Wagon drives in comfort mode. I know the older steering feels more
precise, so I wonder if the suspension feels more sporty in the older
model as well.
Old July 19th 14, 03:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"really real" > wrote in message
>I sat in my cousin's 2010 381 Sports Wagon today and was amazed to see that
>it doesn't have sports mode. When did sports mode start?
>

> I suppose her 381 drives more sportingly than my wife's new 381 Sports
> Wagon drives in comfort mode. I know the older steering feels more
> precise, so I wonder if the suspension feels more sporty in the older
> model as well.

I presume you mean 318.

Several models have been available with a "Sport" version and a "sport"
[manual] gearbox was an option on some top end cars as long ago as the
80's*. Auto boxes had various modes from at least the early 90's (my '93
740i had Economy (normal), sport and winter modes selected by a momentary
slide switch next to the selector). Step/Tiptronic has been available
(often as an expensive option) since the late 90's. More recent cars (and
posh Merc's etc.) have had the ability to vary suspension / damper settings,
the degree (if any) of DSC / ASC), gearbox, throttle response and even max
power (M5).

More base models, such as the 318i, often omit these more esoteric features.

* on the sport version the dampers / springs / ride height / wheels etc.
would be permanent; the sport's box had a different gate, narrower ratios
and a lower top gear than the regular model.

Old July 19th 14, 04:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"really real" > wrote in message
>I sat in my cousin's 2010 381 Sports Wagon today and was amazed to see that
>it doesn't have sports mode. When did sports mode start?
>

> I suppose her 381 drives more sportingly than my wife's new 381 Sports
> Wagon drives in comfort mode. I know the older steering feels more
> precise, so I wonder if the suspension feels more sporty in the older
> model as well.

381?

Sports Mode, like a button or something? They never put a button in the 3
Series cars, but there was (is) a Sports Package that gives stiffer springs,
an upgraded wheel package and better seats.

The really big question in my mind is that you ask when a feature started,
but go on to point out that your current model car is not equipped with it.
Under this circumstance, it seems to me that the question would be when they
took the feature out.

Old July 20th 14, 12:51 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
really real

> 381?
>
> Sports Mode, like a button or something? They never put a button in the
> 3 Series cars, but there was (is) a Sports Package that gives stiffer
> springs, an upgraded wheel package and better seats.
>
> The really big question in my mind is that you ask when a feature
> started, but go on to point out that your current model car is not
> equipped with it. Under this circumstance, it seems to me that the
> question would be when they took the feature out.

Sorry about the wrong number. I get confused by all these numbers.

I assume my cousin's 3 Wagon is a Sports version because it has a sports
grill. But no button for Sports Mode (or Sports + or Econo) though mine
does.

I wonder if that was an option on some sports wagons but not others?
Old July 20th 14, 02:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

really real > wrote:
>Sorry about the wrong number. I get confused by all these numbers.
>
>I assume my cousin's 3 Wagon is a Sports version because it has a sports
>grill. But no button for Sports Mode (or Sports + or Econo) though mine
>does.

You guys are talking about two different things.

First of all, the "sports" packages offer a bunch of things that may
improve handling and performance.

Secondly, the "efficient dynamics" system gives you that "Sports/Econo"
switch that goes into the engine control system and affects the engine
operation. For the most part, if you don't have the "efficient dynamics"
stuff, the software in the engine controller assumes you want performance
rather than economy. That switch allows you to change between two modes of
the engine controller with different behaviours tailored for different
applications and allows BMW to advertise good EPA mileage numbers while
still making zippy cars.

>I wonder if that was an option on some sports wagons but not others?

It's all a bunch of crap. Get an old Bavaria with crank-up windows and
a carb and go for a drive.
--scott

Old July 20th 14, 02:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
really real

> You guys are talking about two different things.
>
> First of all, the "sports" packages offer a bunch of things that may
> improve handling and performance.
>
> Secondly, the "efficient dynamics" system gives you that "Sports/Econo"
> switch that goes into the engine control system and affects the engine
> operation. For the most part, if you don't have the "efficient dynamics"
> stuff, the software in the engine controller assumes you want performance
> rather than economy. That switch allows you to change between two modes of
> the engine controller with different behaviours tailored for different
> applications and allows BMW to advertise good EPA mileage numbers while
> still making zippy cars.

That's right. I was wondering why my cousin's "sports" package did not
include the "Sports/Econo switch" or even the"Sports" switch which BMW
must have had before they invented econo mode.

>> I wonder if that was an option on some sports wagons but not others?

> It's all a bunch of crap. Get an old Bavaria with crank-up windows and
> a carb and go for a drive.

I understand your sentiments exactly but nowadays, new cars come with
wonderful info systems for playing music and other technological gems
that make driving much more fun.

Old July 20th 14, 06:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

really real > wrote:
>> You guys are talking about two different things.
>>
>> First of all, the "sports" packages offer a bunch of things that may
>> improve handling and performance.
>>
>> Secondly, the "efficient dynamics" system gives you that "Sports/Econo"
>> switch that goes into the engine control system and affects the engine
>> operation. For the most part, if you don't have the "efficient dynamics"
>> stuff, the software in the engine controller assumes you want performance
>> rather than economy. That switch allows you to change between two modes of
>> the engine controller with different behaviours tailored for different
>> applications and allows BMW to advertise good EPA mileage numbers while
>> still making zippy cars.

>That's right. I was wondering why my cousin's "sports" package did not
>include the "Sports/Econo switch" or even the"Sports" switch which BMW
>must have had before they invented econo mode.

The "sports" package may even remove the switch, and it may instead include
firmware that is "sporty" all the time.

>>> I wonder if that was an option on some sports wagons but not others?

>> It's all a bunch of crap. Get an old Bavaria with crank-up windows and
>> a carb and go for a drive.

>I understand your sentiments exactly but nowadays, new cars come with
>wonderful info systems for playing music and other technological gems
>that make driving much more fun.

Stop it with the music and pay attention to the road! If you have enough
attention available to listen to music you're probably not driving fast
enough.
--scott

Old July 21st 14, 01:19 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
really real

> The "sports" package may even remove the switch, and it may instead include
> firmware that is "sporty" all the time.

Nope, my wife bought a 2014 Sports and it comes with the sports mode switch

> Stop it with the music and pay attention to the road! If you have enough
> attention available to listen to music you're probably not driving fast
> enough.

Do you go on long road trips? We have a lovely four hour one to visit an
aunt, and it involves 90 minutes of freeway before it turns into a curvy
lovely highway. There is often traffic preventing unnatural speeding.
With her old Acura RSX I actually got caught doing 139 kph in an 80 kph
stretch and the cops said at 140, they would have impounded the car

For you Americans, that would be like doing 87 mph in an a 50 mph zone

I would say that a person who drives distances and doesn't listen to
music is someone who doesn't love music.

Old July 21st 14, 01:21 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
really real

> And don't even get me started about people wanting cup holders ...

My cousin's 2010 wagon has this interesting cup holder that pops out of
the glove compartment. It's a bit awkward, especially when you're trying
to use the glove compartment.

My wife's 2014 has more traditional cup holders.

I have to drink a lot of water for health reasons. Shouldn't a car have
a cup holder for water drinkers?