What is the process to have an illegal STOP sign removed?

Old March 16th 14, 07:11 PM posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation
SMS

Default What is the process to have an illegal STOP sign removed?

On 3/14/2014 5:56 PM, David Kaye wrote:
> "Arif Khokar" > wrote
>
>> It makes far more sense to designated one road as the minor one and post
>> yield signs for that road only at the intersection.

> Most communities DO designate one street as the main and put stops only on
> the lesser street. The trick, of course, is that the designated main street
> has to be consistent for many blocks, but this has often been taken care of
> in the original street design anyway. Many cities create a main
> thoroughfare every 8 blocks (1 mile) or so.

The reason for the stop signs in question is not to control traffic
between the intersecting streets, so yield signs would not achieve anything.

The reasons for the stop signs are a) to control speed on LLewellyn, and
b) to encourage drivers to not use Latimer and Llewellyn as a route to
the Campbell post office and as a bypass to the intersection of Hamilton
and Winchester. There is also a community health care facility on
LLewellyn, Eastfield Ming Quong, so that's another reason why they don't
want speeding on that street.

The bottom line is that they could install some other sort of traffic
calming on that street in lieu of the stop signs if they wanted to spend
the money and if there was sufficient space. But yield signs would not
achieve the result the city is seeking.

Old March 16th 14, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
nospam[_4_]

In article > , None
> wrote:

> > No. In a rotary (aka traffic circle) entering traffic has the
> > right-of-way,

> In parts of the US only. In the northeast US and the rest of the
> world, circulating traffic has the right of way over entering traffic
> in traffic circles, rotaries, and roundabouts, regardless of the label
> used.

and in the northeast usa, the three terms are interchangeable, possibly
other areas too.
Old March 24th 14, 09:57 PM posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 03/15/2014 09:26 PM, Arif Khokar wrote:

> On 03/15/2014 11:39 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
>> On 3/12/2014 8:12 PM, Arif Khokar wrote:

>>> You just explained why having a 4-way stop intersection is one of the
>>> most stupid and idiotic way to handle traffic at lightly traveled
>>> intersections. It makes far more sense to designated one road as the
>>> minor one and post yield signs for that road only at the intersection.

>> Better than a four-way stop on roads with significant traffic. Until a
>> couple of years ago, this was a 4-way stop, and even with light (by
>> California standards), traffic on the 4-lane road would back way up
>> during commuting hours.
>>
>> <https://goo.gl/maps/yzf5i>

> A roundabout would have made far more sense if the traffic volumes on
> the two roads were roughly equal.

We have a couple of 4-way-stop+roundabout intersections here. Maximize
the stupidity. They do it for "traffic calming", not efficiency. Every
time I hear about "traffic calming" I have more sympathy for the guy who
takes a barrel of oil out to an open field and sets it on fire just to
protest.

I know, not strictly relevant, but the only way to protest stupid
traffic decisions is with a shotgun.

--
Cheers, Bev
Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.

ticket for stop sign MM General 5 July 21st 08 03:16 AM
__ Vigilante makes Citizen DUI Stop of suspected Drunk Driver <= commits vehicle burglary in the process __ Larry Bud Driving 3 July 20th 07 02:07 AM
Stop sign cameras... Brent P[_1_] Driving 130 May 16th 07 02:22 AM
Why stop sign is the only one being used? bat Driving 28 June 3rd 06 03:32 AM
Mercedes Diesel that wont stop when the key is removed Elliott P Technology 3 March 28th 06 05:17 AM