E46 Coils and shocks

Old September 20th 13, 09:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

Default E46 Coils and shocks

Looking at real oem there are common shock absorber part numbers for E46
coupe/saloon and for convertible/touring models. There are also differences
between 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder. I understand the spring rates/sizes vary
for standard/sport/and Msport but do they vary much between the different
models? The shock absorbers do but I'm not sure about the spring rates other
than they are colour coded for the options fitted to the car.

Old September 20th 13, 10:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott M

David Haggas wrote:
> Looking at real oem there are common shock absorber part numbers for E46
> coupe/saloon and for convertible/touring models. There are also differences
> between 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder. I understand the spring rates/sizes vary
> for standard/sport/and Msport but do they vary much between the different
> models? The shock absorbers do but I'm not sure about the spring rates other
> than they are colour coded for the options fitted to the car.

If you find the Sachs catalogue for springs it'll give you a gazillion
different options for the E46. Boils down to weight (and stance,
secondarily) so a 318i springs will differ from a 320d, which differs
from a 330i, which differs from a 330d. And then there's the body it's
in (coupe is lighter than a saloon, lighter than a touring.) And for
each of these there's the choice of manual or autobox. And whether or
not its got aircon. Then there's normal or sport ride heights.

So that gives you 4 x 3 x 2 x 2 = 48 different springs on an imcomplete
list of possibilities! Of course there will be some overlap; a manual
330d may share the same springs as an auto 330i as an autobox is heavier
while the petrol engine is lighter.

--
Scott
Old September 24th 13, 09:58 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

"Scott M" > wrote in message
> David Haggas wrote:
>> Looking at real oem there are common shock absorber part numbers for E46
>> coupe/saloon and for convertible/touring models. There are also
>> differences
>> between 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder. I understand the spring rates/sizes
>> vary
>> for standard/sport/and Msport but do they vary much between the different
>> models? The shock absorbers do but I'm not sure about the spring rates
>> other
>> than they are colour coded for the options fitted to the car.

> If you find the Sachs catalogue for springs it'll give you a gazillion
> different options for the E46. Boils down to weight (and stance,
> secondarily) so a 318i springs will differ from a 320d, which differs from
> a 330i, which differs from a 330d. And then there's the body it's in
> (coupe is lighter than a saloon, lighter than a touring.) And for each of
> these there's the choice of manual or autobox. And whether or not its got
> aircon. Then there's normal or sport ride heights.
>
> So that gives you 4 x 3 x 2 x 2 = 48 different springs on an imcomplete
> list of possibilities! Of course there will be some overlap; a manual 330d
> may share the same springs as an auto 330i as an autobox is heavier while
> the petrol engine is lighter.
>
> --
> Scott

--------------

Many thanks for all that information. Yes lots of different combinations but
I wonder about the actual spring rate difference when we are talking about
perhaps the difference between say a few bags of luggage and an extra
person's weight over the axle. I suppose for real world differences there's
no substitute for trying different set-ups. I have a 2002 330 convertible
auto with M sports package 2 and my intention - after 5 years of being badly
shaken on appallingly maintained British roads - is to soften the ride and
make the car more pleasurable to drive over long distances.

I drove a friend's 318 coupe manual with the same 18 inch staggered wheels
and tyres (255/35 and 225/40) as my car and it rode beautifully so I can
rule out the wheel tyre combination, although I recognise changing these to
17 would improve things further. Ideally I want the same suspension 'feel'
as the 318 transposing onto mine, but my car weighs probably 300kg more so
simply using 318 components might not work ideally. I have obtained some
standard 6 cylinder struts (springs with three red marks) part number
1096855/6 and some rear springs from a 323 coupe (two blue marks) all for
GBP60 from a breaker in the hope that I can emulate that 318 ride.

David

Old September 24th 13, 10:45 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott M

David Haggas wrote:

> Many thanks for all that information. Yes lots of different combinations but
> I wonder about the actual spring rate difference when we are talking about
> perhaps the difference between say a few bags of luggage and an extra
> person's weight over the axle.

It is an odd thing to specify so many different spring rates when, as
you say, the usage of the car affects its weight far more than whether
or not its got aircon, but that really is how they do it!

> I suppose for real world differences there's
> no substitute for trying different set-ups. I have a 2002 330 convertible
> auto with M sports package 2 and my intention - after 5 years of being badly
> shaken on appallingly maintained British roads - is to soften the ride and
> make the car more pleasurable to drive over long distances.

The E46 Sport suspension is noted as being too bloody hard. I've got a
320d SE and that bashes and crashes more than I'd like sometimes so I
can't begin to imagine what the Sport is like.

> I drove a friend's 318 coupe manual with the same 18 inch staggered wheels
> and tyres (255/35 and 225/40) as my car and it rode beautifully so I can
> rule out the wheel tyre combination, although I recognise changing these to
> 17 would improve things further.

Not really. The big step difference for the effect of tyre size on
comfort comes with sidewall shape. 50+ profile tyres with their curved
sidewalls are inherently 'softer' than the flat sided 45-and-below
profiles. For an E46 this is the jump between 16" and 17" rims - and I
think 16s don't fit on a 330i because of the brake disc size (certainly
the case for the 330d.) I've gone the other way on mine (16" to 17"
rims) and, with the natural stiffness of the SE, it actually didn't make
that much odds. With a Sport you'd have to go down to balloon sized
tyres to find an improvement.

> Ideally I want the same suspension 'feel'
> as the 318 transposing onto mine, but my car weighs probably 300kg more so
> simply using 318 components might not work ideally.

It'd sink to the bumpstops! I bet the 318i was an SE?

> I have obtained some
> standard 6 cylinder struts (springs with three red marks) part number
> 1096855/6 and some rear springs from a 323 coupe (two blue marks) all for
> GBP60 from a breaker in the hope that I can emulate that 318 ride.

Be interesting to know how it works. Being a convertible and an auto,
you've got one the of heaviest E46 going (330d conv auto being heaviest)
so you might find it'll sit a bit low at the front and very low at the
back. You'd be better off with the rear springs from a Touring. as
Convertibles are about as heavy in the back as the Touring while Coupes
are the lightest of the lot.

--
Scott
Old September 24th 13, 02:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

"Scott M" > wrote in message
> David Haggas wrote:
>
>> Many thanks for all that information. Yes lots of different combinations
>> but I wonder about the actual spring rate difference when we are talking
>> about perhaps the difference between say a few bags of luggage and an
>> extra person's weight over the axle.

> It is an odd thing to specify so many different spring rates when, as you
> say, the usage of the car affects its weight far more than whether or not
> its got aircon, but that really is how they do it!
>

>> I suppose for real world differences there's no substitute for trying
>> different set-ups. I have a 2002 330 convertible auto with M sports
>> package 2 and my intention - after 5 years of being badly shaken on
>> appallingly maintained British roads - is to soften the ride and make the
>> car more pleasurable to drive over long distances.

> The E46 Sport suspension is noted as being too bloody hard. I've got a
> 320d SE and that bashes and crashes more than I'd like sometimes so I
> can't begin to imagine what the Sport is like.
>

>> I drove a friend's 318 coupe manual with the same 18 inch staggered
>> wheels and tyres (255/35 and 225/40) as my car and it rode beautifully so
>> I can rule out the wheel tyre combination, although I recognise changing
>> these to 17 would improve things further.

> Not really. The big step difference for the effect of tyre size on comfort
> comes with sidewall shape. 50+ profile tyres with their curved sidewalls
> are inherently 'softer' than the flat sided 45-and-below profiles. For an
> E46 this is the jump between 16" and 17" rims - and I think 16s don't fit
> on a 330i because of the brake disc size (certainly the case for the
> 330d.) I've gone the other way on mine (16" to 17" rims) and, with the
> natural stiffness of the SE, it actually didn't make that much odds. With
> a Sport you'd have to go down to balloon sized tyres to find an
> improvement.
>

>> Ideally I want the same suspension 'feel' as the 318 transposing onto
>> mine, but my car weighs probably 300kg more so simply using 318
>> components might not work ideally.

> It'd sink to the bumpstops! I bet the 318i was an SE?
>

>> I have obtained some standard 6 cylinder struts (springs with three red
>> marks) part number 1096855/6 and some rear springs from a 323 coupe (two
>> blue marks) all for GBP60 from a breaker in the hope that I can emulate
>> that 318 ride.

> Be interesting to know how it works. Being a convertible and an auto,
> you've got one the of heaviest E46 going (330d conv auto being heaviest)
> so you might find it'll sit a bit low at the front and very low at the
> back. You'd be better off with the rear springs from a Touring. as
> Convertibles are about as heavy in the back as the Touring while Coupes
> are the lightest of the lot.
>
> --
> Scott

-------------

I agree about the sport being too bloody hard that's for sure. BMW GB's
marketing was so successful that it almost all well equipped 330 models were
m sport package but for UK roads they are a nonsense.

My experience with the 318 shows that the 18 inch wheels can be fine. If I
did go to 17's I would fit 225/50 all round.

When you say 318 springs would make it "sink to the bumpstops" it would be
an interesting trial. I took 4 large adults in a 99 318 saloon and it rode
better than when empty! These people's weight would add up to more than the
318/330 difference and most of it directly over the rear axle...The coupe I
drove in is an 02 - they didn't have the 'SE' then but I think it will be
the same ie standard suspension.

The struts I have are off a convertible but the rears are off a coupe.
Should be getting them swapped so will let you know how I get on. If the
rears are too soft I can get some touring/convertible ones easily enough. Do
you know about the wishbone differences? M sport are not the same part
numbers but I am assuming they are stronger (thicker?) rather than
significantly different geometry-wise

David

Old September 24th 13, 04:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott M

David Haggas wrote:

> When you say 318 springs would make it "sink to the bumpstops" it would be
> an interesting trial. I took 4 large adults in a 99 318 saloon and it rode
> better than when empty! These people's weight would add up to more than the
> 318/330 difference and most of it directly over the rear axle...The coupe I
> drove in is an 02 - they didn't have the 'SE' then but I think it will be
> the same ie standard suspension.

I use SE as being non-Sport really! It's a point about the weight thing;
people are heavy. I may have exaggerated the bumpstop thing, but the car
would sit lower for a given weight.

> The struts I have are off a convertible but the rears are off a coupe.
> Should be getting them swapped so will let you know how I get on. If the
> rears are too soft I can get some touring/convertible ones easily enough. Do
> you know about the wishbone differences? M sport are not the same part
> numbers but I am assuming they are stronger (thicker?) rather than
> significantly different geometry-wise

Oooh, that's a point. The wishbone differences will be geometry; from
looking at them I'd be guessing the chief difference would the angle the
rear lug (that mounts in the lollipop bush) meets the main part. I
suppose with higher suspension from a lighter car the two could cancel
out and ride height could end up back to what it is now - which would
keep the wishbone geometry happy.

--
Scott

Old September 25th 13, 12:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

"Scott M" > wrote in message
> I use SE as being non-Sport really! It's a point about the weight thing;
> people are heavy. I may have exaggerated the bumpstop thing, but the car
> would sit lower for a given weight.
>

>> The struts I have are off a convertible but the rears are off a coupe.
>> Should be getting them swapped so will let you know how I get on. If the
>> rears are too soft I can get some touring/convertible ones easily enough.
>> Do you know about the wishbone differences? M sport are not the same part
>> numbers but I am assuming they are stronger (thicker?) rather than
>> significantly different geometry-wise

> Oooh, that's a point. The wishbone differences will be geometry; from
> looking at them I'd be guessing the chief difference would the angle the
> rear lug (that mounts in the lollipop bush) meets the main part. I suppose
> with higher suspension from a lighter car the two could cancel out and
> ride height could end up back to what it is now - which would keep the
> wishbone geometry happy.

------------

Searched around forums and from what I've read you are right about the
angle. Also better longer-lasting bushes in the sport versions. What you say
about the higher suspension correcting the geometry sounds encouraging but
do you think there is still a possibility of uneven tyre wear or other
consequences?

Maybe its a case of try it and see.

David

Old September 25th 13, 10:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott M

David Haggas wrote:
> "Scott M" > wrote in message
>> I use SE as being non-Sport really! It's a point about the weight thing;
>> people are heavy. I may have exaggerated the bumpstop thing, but the car
>> would sit lower for a given weight.
>>

>>> The struts I have are off a convertible but the rears are off a coupe.
>>> Should be getting them swapped so will let you know how I get on. If the
>>> rears are too soft I can get some touring/convertible ones easily enough.
>>> Do you know about the wishbone differences? M sport are not the same part
>>> numbers but I am assuming they are stronger (thicker?) rather than
>>> significantly different geometry-wise

>> Oooh, that's a point. The wishbone differences will be geometry; from
>> looking at them I'd be guessing the chief difference would the angle the
>> rear lug (that mounts in the lollipop bush) meets the main part. I suppose
>> with higher suspension from a lighter car the two could cancel out and
>> ride height could end up back to what it is now - which would keep the
>> wishbone geometry happy.

> ------------
>
> Searched around forums and from what I've read you are right about the
> angle. Also better longer-lasting bushes in the sport versions. What you say
> about the higher suspension correcting the geometry sounds encouraging but
> do you think there is still a possibility of uneven tyre wear or other
> consequences?

Tyre wear is mostly down to toe settings (which can be corrected,
natch). My old E36 on MTech suspension had a hell of a camber on the
back wheels but wore them evenly (when I got the rear tracking sorted!)

The alternative is to find someone with standard suspension and do a
full swap.

Or try it and, in due course, replace the wishbones as the balljoints
don't last forever anyway.

--
Scott

Old September 26th 13, 09:44 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

"Scott M" > wrote in message
> Tyre wear is mostly down to toe settings (which can be corrected, natch).
> My old E36 on MTech suspension had a hell of a camber on the back wheels
> but wore them evenly (when I got the rear tracking sorted!)
>
> The alternative is to find someone with standard suspension and do a full
> swap.
>
> Or try it and, in due course, replace the wishbones as the balljoints
> don't last forever anyway.

---------------------

Yes, will have a good look at the joints when replacing springs but the car
feels well damped in spite of rigid ride. Ideally I need to find someone
with an SE who wants to swap everything but its a little low cost experiment
so if it works to mitigate things then I'm happy. Remaining M sport spec
stuff (correct me if I'm wrong) would be rear shocks, anti roll bars/mounts
and the wishbones. The convertible is also a very rigid beast but I am
hoping that it will be the springs that will make the biggest difference,
followed perhaps by 50 profile tyres.

Thanks
David

Old September 28th 13, 04:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy[_2_]

Scott M > wrote:

>The E46 Sport suspension is noted as being too bloody hard. I've got a
>320d SE and that bashes and crashes more than I'd like sometimes so I
>can't begin to imagine what the Sport is like.

It's not that hard. Firm, but impressively compliant, in my opinion.
"Bashing and crashing" is does not do at all. Just want I want, in a
sports sedan. Certainly softer than what a true "sports car" has.