SHORT SHIFT KIT

Old March 22nd 13, 03:04 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ralphee

Default SHORT SHIFT KIT

if the shorter shift is desired.. why dont they make the car with a short shift in the first place..?
Old March 22nd 13, 06:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

ralphee wrote:
> if the shorter shift is desired.. why dont they make the car with a short shift in the first place..?

....so they can make more money.

--
- Rufus
Old March 22nd 13, 03:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"ralphee" > wrote in message
> if the shorter shift is desired.. why dont they make the car with a short
> shift in the first place..?

They do, it's short enough for the masses to shift, the after market
shifters are sold to those that think there is a gain to have a shorter
shifter. What they get is a shifter that is a bit harder to shift and
bragging rights of a "Gain" that can't be measured. There are very few
sports cars that are sold that the engineers that built/designed them knew
what they were doing, ask the owner, he knows.

Old March 22nd 13, 04:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Dad" wrote in message .. .

"ralphee" > wrote in message
> if the shorter shift is desired.. why dont they make the car with a short
> shift in the first place..?

They do, it's short enough for the masses to shift, the after market
shifters are sold to those that think there is a gain to have a shorter
shifter. What they get is a shifter that is a bit harder to shift and
bragging rights of a "Gain" that can't be measured. There are very few
sports cars that are sold that the engineers that built/designed them knew
what they were doing, ask the owner, he knows.

I remember on the early C3 Vettes (and probably the C2s) the linkage had
holes drilled in the linkage for either a short or regular shift throw. At
least, I remember making that change on a 69 and a 71 4 speed I had. I
preferred the short throw as I recollect.

Old March 22nd 13, 06:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "Dad" wrote in message
> .. .
>

> "ralphee" > wrote in message
>> if the shorter shift is desired.. why dont they make the car with a short
>> shift in the first place..?
>>

> They do, it's short enough for the masses to shift, the after market
> shifters are sold to those that think there is a gain to have a shorter
> shifter. What they get is a shifter that is a bit harder to shift and
> bragging rights of a "Gain" that can't be measured. There are very few
> sports cars that are sold that the engineers that built/designed them knew
> what they were doing, ask the owner, he knows.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> I remember on the early C3 Vettes (and probably the C2s) the linkage had
> holes drilled in the linkage for either a short or regular shift throw.
> At least, I remember making that change on a 69 and a 71 4 speed I had. I
> preferred the short throw as I recollect.

There were also extra holes in the steering linkage to make for quicker
steering/turns but I've never tried them since I never had power steering
until the C4. The shifter links didn't add to the shifting effort very much
if any, that seems to be the main complaint on the after market C5 & C6
short shifter.

Old March 22nd 13, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Dad" wrote in message .. .

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "Dad" wrote in message
> .. .
>

> "ralphee" > wrote in message
>> if the shorter shift is desired.. why dont they make the car with a short
>> shift in the first place..?
>>

> They do, it's short enough for the masses to shift, the after market
> shifters are sold to those that think there is a gain to have a shorter
> shifter. What they get is a shifter that is a bit harder to shift and
> bragging rights of a "Gain" that can't be measured. There are very few
> sports cars that are sold that the engineers that built/designed them knew
> what they were doing, ask the owner, he knows.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> I remember on the early C3 Vettes (and probably the C2s) the linkage had
> holes drilled in the linkage for either a short or regular shift throw. At
> least, I remember making that change on a 69 and a 71 4 speed I had. I
> preferred the short throw as I recollect.

There were also extra holes in the steering linkage to make for quicker
steering/turns but I've never tried them since I never had power steering
until the C4. The shifter links didn't add to the shifting effort very much
if any, that seems to be the main complaint on the after market C5 & C6
short shifter.

I made that change to my 69 base roadster which did not have power
steering -- but not the 71 454 which had (and needed) ps. In those days, I
believed a sportscar did not need frills like ac or ps. I have changed my
opinion considerably.

Auto Solutions short shift kit D.[_2_] BMW 5 May 29th 09 01:15 AM
E36 short shift? Jon E BMW 1 November 9th 06 10:13 PM
Short Shift Kit Coasty Jeep 4 November 6th 05 03:11 PM
Shift Kit Craig Mazda 2 May 3rd 05 04:03 PM
what is a shift kit Ralph Corvette 8 August 18th 04 12:34 AM