problem with handsfree on new Accord

Old October 16th 12, 12:57 AM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Default problem with handsfree on new Accord

JRStern > wrote in
:

> Also found this site to ask Honda:
> http://automobiles.honda.com/handsfreelink/support.aspx
>
> Will try ASAP, tomorrow.

So...? What happened?

I've found that, generally speaking, if a phone is not considered by
Honda's HandsFreeLink to be /fully-compatible/ with your car, you'll have
problems of one kind or another.

--
Tegger
Old October 16th 12, 02:53 AM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
JRStern

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:03:59 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Tegger > wrote:
>
>> I've found that, generally speaking, if a phone is not considered by
>> Honda's HandsFreeLink to be /fully-compatible/ with your car, you'll have
>> problems of one kind or another.

>Agreed 100%.

Drove around but didn't arrange to try it, and didn't get any
unexpected calls.

Did get a message back from Honda basically saying hey if it's not on
the list try one that is, have a nice day.

This being the LG list:
http://www.handsfreelink.com/hondana...model= Accord
Sedan&years=2013&vehicle_id=811&manufacturer=105&c arrier=&searchtype=manufacturer&archive=&start=15

I'll post back when I've fiddled with it some more.

I mean seriously, they have to try out their car with eleventy-million
different phones? Maybe the dealer should spend a few extra moments
on that, pre-sales or post-sales. Maybe I can see why they wouldn't.

About what I expected, have to upgrade my phone to go with the car!
May be about to upgrade the phone anyhow, my phones tend to run older
than my cars!

Thanks,

J.

Old October 16th 12, 05:15 AM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
hachiroku

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 18:53:02 -0700, JRStern wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:03:59 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Tegger > wrote:
>>
>>> I've found that, generally speaking, if a phone is not considered by
>>> Honda's HandsFreeLink to be /fully-compatible/ with your car, you'll have
>>> problems of one kind or another.

>>Agreed 100%.

> Drove around but didn't arrange to try it, and didn't get any
> unexpected calls.
>
> Did get a message back from Honda basically saying hey if it's not on
> the list try one that is, have a nice day.
>
> This being the LG list:
> http://www.handsfreelink.com/hondana...model= Accord
> Sedan&years=2013&vehicle_id=811&manufacturer=105&c arrier=&searchtype=manufacturer&archive=&start=15
>
> I'll post back when I've fiddled with it some more.
>
> I mean seriously, they have to try out their car with eleventy-million
> different phones? Maybe the dealer should spend a few extra moments
> on that, pre-sales or post-sales. Maybe I can see why they wouldn't.
>
> About what I expected, have to upgrade my phone to go with the car!
> May be about to upgrade the phone anyhow, my phones tend to run older
> than my cars!
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.

You would think with a phone like that it would be in the code. That was a
fairly popular phone; Verizon gave them away to Unicel people when they
took it over, since Unicel used GSM. The ONE complaint I had was when it
dropped a call the <WEENCE> in your ear could deafen you! The reason I
dropped it was because I coukdn't do ANYTHING while on a call but talk. If
I had to look up a number or view a calendar I had to hang up. Not good
for me. Other than that I liked the phone.

I didn't have any troubles pairing it with any of my BlueTooth accessories.

Get something on eBay. My current phone is a BlackBerry World Edition 8830
I got for a whopping $6. That paired with a Yaris I was given as a loaner
no probs.

Old October 16th 12, 05:18 AM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
hachiroku

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:33:16 -0700, JRStern wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 02:46:46 -0400, tlvp >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 19:24:57 -0700, JRStern wrote:

>>> Aha, I finally found the Tools/Call Settings/Auto Answer w Handsfree.
>>>
>>> I don't really want auto-answer, but maybe it will help?
>>>
>>> Also found this site to ask Honda:
>>> http://automobiles.honda.com/handsfreelink/support.aspx
>>>
>>> Will try ASAP, tomorrow.
>>>
>>> J.

>>Unless you're doing this so a *passenger" can answer, give it up: you'll
>>never really be answering a phone and driving at the same time -- you'll
>>either be driving, or answering the phone and not really driving at all
>>(just going through the motions of driving, attention all elsewhere).
>>
>>HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

> At least with the hands-free it's legal.
>
> I agree with all the negatives, but sometimes you want to receive or
> make a quick call when you're running late, that sort of thing.
>
> J.

Shoot, you guys, I talk all the time when driving...I HAVE to or I'll
never get any work done.

I also have my phone mounted on the dash, line of sight to the road, so I
rarely have to take my eyes off the road when calling. It's not much worse
than talking to a passenger in the car. And if you get voice dial to work
there's no problems. Just make sure it doesn't dial "Ball and chain" when
you say "Girlfriend"...

Old October 16th 12, 07:37 AM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

JRStern > wrote in
:

> I mean seriously, they have to try out their car with eleventy-million
> different phones?

Apparently that is /exactly/ what they do.

> Maybe the dealer should spend a few extra moments
> on that, pre-sales or post-sales.

You'd think they'd know to do that, but I think most dealers don't know
much beyond getting your signature on the bottom line.

--
Tegger
Old October 16th 12, 08:57 AM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
tlvp

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 08:16:26 -0400, dgk wrote:

> ... I sure try not to use the phone when I'm driving but it is hard to
> just ignore calls.

My self-preservation instinct makes it easier for me to ignore the calls
than to ignore the road. Much easier. Of course, YMMV :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp
Old October 16th 12, 05:03 PM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Todd Allcock[_2_]

At 16 Oct 2012 03:57:51 -0400 tlvp wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 08:16:26 -0400, dgk wrote:
>
> > ... I sure try not to use the phone when I'm driving but it is hard to
> > just ignore calls.

> My self-preservation instinct makes it easier for me to ignore the calls
> than to ignore the road. Much easier. Of course, YMMV :-) . Cheers, --

tlvp

A better self-preservation instinct would keep you off the roads in the
first place!

Old October 16th 12, 11:19 PM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
JRStern

No, the handsfree auto answer doesn't work either, at least not by
itself.

I still need to fiddle around, but even without the handsfree,
actually clicking an answer key on the phone seems to connect, and
then pressing the speaker key ON THE PHONE eventually seems to
transfer the audio to the handsfree, and pressing the end key ON THE
PHONE seems to end the call properly. I think.

Also, if trying to answer from the handsfree doesn't work and ends up
locking out the radio, MAKING a call from the phone seems to clear it
out.

I probably will be upgrading the phone shortly anyway, but geez what
an irritation this is right now. My sympathies to Honda for having to
test against every phone.

J.

ps - btw, this LG VX8360 is kind of a pain to use even all by itself,
always popping up messages about missed or waiting calls and refusing
to respond to the speaker key or other commands if it's in some odd
mode or other.

But then, I don't think I've ever seen a cell phone I thought was well
designed, for like human beings to talk on. Human interface design is
just totally a lost art.

Old October 17th 12, 01:05 AM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
tlvp

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:03:43 -0600, Todd Allcock wrote:

> A better self-preservation instinct would keep you off the roads in the
> first place!

Don't laugh ... most days of the week it *does* :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp
Old October 17th 12, 01:36 AM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul Miner

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:19:08 -0700, JRStern >
wrote:

>But then, I don't think I've ever seen a cell phone I thought was well
>designed, for like human beings to talk on. Human interface design is
>just totally a lost art.

As I understand it, most people don't use their cell phones for voice
conversations anymore, so the prospects for better voice access may be
bleak.

--
Paul Miner

96 accord a/c problem Rocky[_2_] Honda 4 August 22nd 06 11:24 AM
'92 Accord problem [email protected] Honda 4 May 10th 06 03:09 PM
93 Accord EX A/C Problem UKALUM Honda 1 March 14th 06 03:49 AM
Problem with 93 Accord chefkojak Honda 12 February 26th 06 02:19 AM
GSM mic with Nokia handsfree? Glenn Richards Audi 1 December 26th 04 12:48 PM