Help! problem with dealer

Old February 19th 12, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mark Goodall

Default Help! problem with dealer

My son (22, inexperienced) bought a 99 Taurus from a used car dealer in NW Indiana. When he took the car to the BMV to get plates, they checked the VIN on the car against the title. It was completely different. He went back to the dealer ("Triple M Motors" 9225 Wicker Ave. Saint John, IN 46373, a lot on a major highway with about 30 cars) and the guy apologized, said it was a mix-up, and said the correct title would be mailed to him within 2 weeks and gave him a 30 day tag. 30 days came and went, and my son has called back a few times and was assured by "Dan" that the title was in the mail. I handed the problem off to my wife, who is pretty assertive on the phone (the dealer is about 45 minutes away). When she asked "Dan" for his last name, he hung up on her. I then called the St John police department (yesterday) and was told that the detective wouldn't be in until Tuesday (because of the holiday), but we were welcome to leave a message, although in her opinion, it "sounded like a civil matter". What is our next step? (by the way, the VIN # is 1FAFP52U6XG293347 ) Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Mark Goodall
Old February 19th 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
News

On 2/18/2012 7:49 PM, Mark Goodall wrote:
> My son (22, inexperienced) bought a 99 Taurus from a used car dealer in NW Indiana. When he took the car to the BMV to get plates, they checked the VIN on the car against the title. It was completely different. He went back to the dealer ("Triple M Motors" 9225 Wicker Ave. Saint John, IN 46373, a lot on a major highway with about 30 cars) and the guy apologized, said it was a mix-up, and said the correct title would be mailed to him within 2 weeks and gave him a 30 day tag. 30 days came and went, and my son has called back a few times and was assured by "Dan" that the title was in the mail. I handed the problem off to my wife, who is pretty assertive on the phone (the dealer is about 45 minutes away). When she asked "Dan" for his last name, he hung up on her. I then called the St John police department (yesterday) and was told that the detective wouldn't be in until Tuesday (because of the holiday), but we were welcome to leave a message, although in her opinion, it "sound

ed like a civil matter". What is our next step? (by the way, the VIN # is 1FAFP52U6XG293347 ) Any help would be much appreciated.
> Thanks, Mark Goodall

Sounds criminal -- grand theft and fraud.
Old February 19th 12, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

this VIN shows no theft reports or total loss reported to the national
insurance crime bureau..

is the VIN off the door? or dashboard? if its different then possibly it's
been in a wreck and the doors been changed.

take it someone you trust, preferably with some body shop knowledge and a
lift and have them do a super thorough inspection, to check everything for
wreck or theft damage.

Old February 19th 12, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mark Goodall

Rob, the VIN on the door matches the plate on the dash, and if the car isn't stolen, then is it typical for a used car dealer not to come up with a title a month and a half later? By the way, thanks for running the VIN.
Mark
Old February 19th 12, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

he is stalling most likely because the title was not in his name,. it might
have been a consignment sale or he bought it to sell, but was stalling
getting a title in his dealership name since he didn't want to spend the
money, so now he's waiting for it to be approved from previous owner to you.

or maybe he's hiding the fact it's a wreck, which is why I say inspect the
hell out of it. I have heard of situations where dealer in state A buys a
wreck in State B, but in turn sells it for 1 dollar to his younger brother
in State C. the younger brother just happens to own a body shop, rebuilds
the wreck and sell it back to original buyer (his older brother). when the
Title crosses state lines, it goes from a salvage title to a regular title.
this usually takes a while.

the national insurance crime bureau web site says it was never REPORTED as
totaled or stolen. who knows? it might have never been reported.

Regardless he is stalling for some reason. The law needs to look into it.
If the local guys blows you off, go over his head to the State level. they
are the ones who license this so called 'dealer' in the first place.

maybe this will help.
http://www.in.gov/bmv/2957.htm

http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/Affidavi...hip_Packet.pdf

http://www.in.gov/bmv/2333.htm

Old February 19th 12, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Mark Goodall wrote:

> My son bought a 99 Taurus from a used car dealer in NW Indiana.

And your question or issue has what exactly to do with Chrysler?
Old February 20th 12, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
SRN

Contact the State of Indiana, Secretary of State, Auto Dealers Services
Division immediately and ask who to contact to file an official complaint
with the state.

http://www.in.gov/sos/dealer/2365.htm

https://myweb.in.gov/SOS/AAOnline/ShowFile.aspx?ID=2080

Old February 20th 12, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
James Rau

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 08:21:13 -0500, MoPar Man > wrote:

>Mark Goodall wrote:
>
>> My son bought a 99 Taurus from a used car dealer in NW Indiana.

>And your question or issue has what exactly to do with Chrysler?

Granted, the name of this group is rec.autos.makers.chrysler and you
might think a post regarding a Ford product off-topic, but I would
have to argue that *any* used make of car should be of concern to the
members of this group. There are a lot of used cars on the market
nowadays, Chrysler or otherwise.

Perhaps we could give Mr. Goodall the benefit of the doubt? Perhaps he
meant to post in r.a.m.ford, but got a little confused? He seems
rather upset that neither he or his son can get the dealership to
resolve this issue.

James Rau
Old February 20th 12, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

James Rau wrote:

> >> My son bought a 99 Taurus from a used car dealer in NW Indiana.

> > And your question or issue has what exactly to do with Chrysler?

> Granted, the name of this group is rec.autos.makers.chrysler and
> you might think a post regarding a Ford product off-topic, but I
> would have to argue that *any* used make of car should be of
> concern to the members of this group.

There are more general auto groups (not specific to a particular brand)
on usenet that get way more traffic than this group. So right off the
bat it would have been more appropriate to post there instead of here.

And in addition, cross-post to groups like misc.consumers, alt.legal,
etc would have been useful for him.
Old February 20th 12, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mark Goodall

Thanks to everyone who replied. Other than having to let my son use my ailing plymouth grand voyager, my defense for posting in this group is that I looked at a ford group, no posts since 2005. I posted on this site about the minivan, and got response, and I reasoned that my question could help chrysler owners. No offense intended, thanks.
Mark