What about "manual" do they not understand?

Old October 5th 11, 11:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Default What about "manual" do they not understand?

For the first time I drove a car with one of the new "dual clutch"
semi-auto trannies. A 135. It was decent, but I was disappointed to
discover that if you give it some gas, it will downshift
automatically, even if you have it in manual mode!

I mean, WTF? Sometimes I want to feel the torque from down-low, but
it won't let you. I was disappointed, to say the least.

Old October 6th 11, 05:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dziobak

W dniu 2011-10-06 00:00, dizzy pisze:
> For the first time I drove a car with one of the new "dual clutch"
> semi-auto trannies. A 135. It was decent, but I was disappointed to
> discover that if you give it some gas, it will downshift
> automatically, even if you have it in manual mode!
>
> I mean, WTF? Sometimes I want to feel the torque from down-low, but
> it won't let you. I was disappointed, to say the least.

Witam,
Yep, got the same filling. If you want gearbox without "kich-down", you
heve to buy M series.

--
"Nie ma takiej rury na świecie,
której nie można odetkać..."
Old October 6th 11, 05:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dziobak

Old October 11th 11, 06:05 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
AD[_2_]

On Oct 6, 1:00*am, dizzy > wrote:
> For the first time I drove a car with one of the new "dual clutch"
> semi-auto trannies. *A 135. *It was decent, but I was disappointed to
> discover that if you give it some gas, it will downshift
> automatically, even if you have it in manual mode! *
>
> I mean, WTF? *Sometimes I want to feel the torque from down-low, but
> it won't let you. *I was disappointed, to say the least.

it's for the kids who don't know what the left pedal is for and jam
the transmission into
gear.
bmw usa does not want adults in the states to drive this

another hint that my speculation is right is the lack of 120i and 120d
four bangers.

4 pots are quiet and buzz free in the entry level lux cars (A4 is the
living proof)
but apparently 4 pots did not sell back in the 70s/80s when bmw
initially started importing into the states

and noone in hq wants to put their career on the line attempting
reentry
Old October 11th 11, 06:05 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
AD[_2_]

Old October 22nd 11, 04:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

AD wrote:

>it's for the kids who don't know what the left pedal is for and jam
>the transmission into
>gear.
>bmw usa does not want adults in the states to drive this

I really don't see the advantage over a conventional auto, which, of
course, can be "manually" controlled, also.

>another hint that my speculation is right is the lack of 120i and 120d
>four bangers.
>
>4 pots are quiet and buzz free in the entry level lux cars (A4 is the
>living proof)

"Quiet" isn't the point, IMO. Anything can be quiet. Some us like to
hear our motors, and 4-bangers don't sound good.

They're not as smooth throughout the rev-range, either. The hype
about "smooth" 4-bangers is as much of a lie as turbos with "no
discernable lag" and 4000 pound cars that "hide their weight".

>but apparently 4 pots did not sell back in the 70s/80s when bmw
>initially started importing into the states
>
>and noone in hq wants to put their career on the line attempting
>reentry

Err... You are unaware that BMW is bringing-back (to the US)
4-bangers in the 3 and even the 5 series?

Old October 22nd 11, 04:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy