NKPro 1.3 - Hill climb at Trento is a must have

Old February 12th 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default NKPro 1.3 - Hill climb at Trento is a must have

NKPro finally gets a track which will ensure I put some time and effort into it for
a change. This long, winding climb up a mountain is a real test of your skills, and
although nobody could accuse the new rain effects of being perfect, they are
surprisingly convincing once you get into the swing of things.

And I mean swing of things. There are so many tight hairpin turns that a three
screen setup is almost compulsory. You spend half your time driving through the
side windows. :-)

NKPro may not be in any danger of achieving critical mass from an online POV, but
Trento is NKPro's Nordschleife, and you don't need any other cars in sight.

This is one of sim racing's great experiences IMO, along with GT5's 'Ring,
iRacing's Skip Barber, GPL's... well, everything, and Powerband on the Acorn A5000
(maybe ;-).

Andrew McP

Old February 15th 11, 08:54 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

no@email (Remco Moedt) wrote:

> I wonder, can I still use my license
> from the first Pro version, or do I've to buy a new one?

Hi Remco,

reading comments on VirtualR, I think all previous purchases still work. The
website tells you what to copy over from a previous installation to save a possible
delay/problem with authentication.

NKPro isn't a sim I've spent a lot of time with, but Trento really is a great sim
experience (especially in the new Osella). It's a very narrow, very long, and very
hard track to complete without damage. Or without disappearing into one of the many
off-track black holes which re-set you (iRacing style) to the pits. :-)

Speaking of iRacing, it's a little coincidental that iRacing's free month offer has
appeared only a few days after this big NKPro update came out. I wouldn't have
thought NKPro is likely to be a threat, as it doesn't have a big online footprint.
But then the weekly stats posted here...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...COqflZoE&h l=
en#gid=13

....seem to show that most of the recent iRacing growth has been on the oval side,
not road. So it might be possible they saw a statistically significant dip in road
racing in recent days. It's probably just a coincidence, but everyone loves a
conspiracy theory, right? :-)

Either way, I've spent more time with NKPro over the last few days than I have in
all the previous time I've owned it. Lapping on your own is pretty dull, but not
when the next hairpin turn is only a few moments away.

And then of course there's the rain. Not perfect, and in many ways I prefer GT5's
weather, but I haven't visited GT5's Nordschleife in my upgraded Enzo since NKPro
1.3 came out. Yes, I'm enjoying learning Trento *that* much!

Andrew McP
Old February 21st 11, 11:53 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uwe

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:19 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Andrew MacPherson wrote:> This is one of sim racing's great experiences IMO, along with GT5's 'Ring,
> iRacing's Skip Barber, GPL's... well, everything, and Powerband on the Acorn A5000
> (maybe ;-).
>
> Andrew McP

Thanks Andy, I only recently re-installed nkpro, I need to check out
this feature ASAP.

Uwe

Old March 2nd 11, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Andrew,
2things, sorry about the iRacing cold turkey thing you are pursuing (sp?)
hope it works out for you, hope I don't have to join you, lol.

I might need help, I was a big netKar fan, ran a bunch online in the day.
But if I recall, I couldn't run NKpro at that time, think I paid for a sub,
but wouldn't run so I moved on. I might give it a try again. I'll holler
if I decide to download and redo my license, since them days I have had
several ISP's not sure which I would have registered with.

Old March 2nd 11, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

lid (Plowboy) wrote:

> hope I don't have to join you, lol.

There is life after iRacing, I promise! ;-)

I feel like I left a cult. I miss it a lot, and yet I don't miss it at all. :->

It's only been a month though. I will no doubt struggle to resist the lure of the
iRacing forums (which I miss far more than the racing) if they throw a cheap "come
back!" offer at me.

To be more serious, one thing I really don't like about iRacing is the way it's
sucked so many of sim racing's core online voices behind the iRacing firewall.
There's more activity -- both good and bad, useful and merely entertaining -- on
the iRacing forums than in all the other sim racing forums put together. I feel at
home among so many familiar names there, but I don't feel at home as a member of
the iRacing service.

My loss, I guess.

> since them days I have had several ISP's not sure which I
> would have registered with.

I'm not sure whether NKPro is tied to your email address. I've had the same address
since buying 1.1, and I've only ever had to copy my NKPro folder from Documents
when I've reinstalled.

Without the Trento climb I'd have stopped using NKPro again by now, because I
really don't care about online racing, and the lack of AI limits the fun. However
spending hours trying to learn Trento led me to explore a few more tracks and I've
now fallen in sim-lust with the version of Brands Hatch done for NKPro. It really
is rather good, and I even prefer it to iRacing's... it's "grittier" and more
immersive (for me) even though it obviously isn't as technically realistic as
iRacing's.

It's a head v heart thing. My head tells me iRacing's version is better. But my
heart tells me I'm at Brands Hatch in NKPro.

Anyway, I'm sure NKPro is still pretty much useless if you're looking for an online
alternative to iRacing. Love it or hate it, iRacing offers regular racing.

Andrew McP